Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging to 100%? Is it that bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally want to charge to 100% if I can

What is the SOC percentage when you get it back home?

I reckon if it has fallen to 95% that's "not all that bad", and if it has fallen to 90% I wouldn't give it a second thought.

So I reckon it depends how far away from home you charge at - e.g. when doing your regular shopping.

Plenty of stories of airport taxies that were regularly charged to 100% (overnight) and left sitting like that, and rapid-charged during the day - so basic zero "gentle charging" and even those didn't have significant degradation - and that was earlier battery chemistry and BMS than today

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I have to rely solely on public charging which is fine but I find it hard to stop charging at 80/90% and leaving it. Generally want to charge to 100% if I can, even if I don't need it. Maybe it's a bit ocd.
Since you don't have LFP, you should train yourself out of doing this. First, that last 10% takes WAY longer to complete, so you are wasting a lot of time charging (and/or taking up public charging space even if you are not waiting in the car). Second, and more important, you will be impacting the lifetime of the battery (and possibly resale value of the car).

Reactions: boombap
Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever gone past 80% on a Supercharger. Wanted to murder the other drivers at Gordano the other week when they were all charging to 100% while other queued up.
I'm generally using a public charger that's empty overnight so it's not an inconvenience to others. I hate those supercharger hoggers. Other day I was at a super charger and two Model S next to me were there when I arrived on fully green charge and there when I left. I went from 15% to 85% in that time.

Sat right now... happily around 80%

I do charge it to 100% every 3 months on average for a big trip.

Otherwise, 80-90% is always good enough. As we have 3 Phase charging at home, I can charge about 65% on cheap rate during 4 hours... so it's very handy

Rarely let it drop below 15%

Screenshot_20221225_205211_Tesla.jpg

What's the most reliable way to check your battery degradation?
Kyle Conner charges an EV to 100%, drives it down to 0% and measures how much juice was used. Of course you need to do this at least twice to get degradition over the time between tests.

You can also use service mode to check degradation but it doesn't work on all Teslas due to a bug:

A cheap and easy way is to use the energy consumption screen which gives you wh/mile and remaining range which can be combined with the state of charge percentage to give you the total watt hours in the battery. Again, you need to do a before and after to get the degradation between tests.

Reactions: Nick77 and Kenners
Is 100% actually 100% given the buffer?
There's no top end buffer. 100% is a full 4.20V/cell
I think Elon said 90% was fine and I assumed this was more like 82% of the total pack capacity.
...and by "90% is fine", Tesla means that you're not expected to have > 30% degradation by the time the warranty expires. It does not mean that you'll anything close to minimal battery degradation doing that all the time.