Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charity bets: $100/$1K/$10K -> EAP/FSD feature release by 12/31, 1/31, 3/31

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regular releases every 2 weeks like clockwork, relatively speaking. As if there were sprints and program increments and everystuff.

As someone who designs aircraft systems, this terrifies me. Agile is not the way to develop safety critical systems, and it shows with the huge regressions in the latest two releases. The FAA or FDA would shut down any organization that prioritizes timelines over testing.

Also, 2 weeks like clockwork? My car got 11 updates in 10 months, and many of them had no AP changes. It went 8 weeks before 10.4.

Anyway, I do hope things change, get moving, and are better in the future. I just haven't seen it happen yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and TaoJones
As someone who designs aircraft systems, this terrifies me. Agile is not the way to develop safety critical systems, and it shows with the huge regressions in the latest two releases. The FAA or FDA would shut down any organization that prioritizes timelines over testing.

Also, 2 weeks like clockwork? My car got 11 updates in 10 months, and many of them had no AP changes. It went 8 weeks before 10.4.

Anyway, I do hope things change, get moving, and are better in the future. I just haven't seen it happen yet.

Sorry, that's a crock. Agile is a simple methodology, to lump sum agile and say it can't be safe is naive at best, it's all a matter of what the prioritize. Blame the system not the methodology. Tesla QA/QC is some of the worst I've ever seen, but that's not agiles fault, it's a systemic issue with leadership in my humble opinion. This is I think the 3rd or 4th rewrite of the AP system, and yah there is a software release roughly every two weeks or so, and just because you didn't get it doesn't mean it didn't get released it means it didn't go wide. Now, the other part of all of this is releases every two weeks typically means small incremental changes until things are ready, hence really no difference really between .10 and .12 and now with .14 we have a slightly upgraded browser. Which part of this is unsafe? Without seeing the process and how it's implemented, please don't go deciding a methodology sucks because you don't understand how to make it safe, and believe it or not I'm not a huge agile cheerleader, but it's certainly works if implemented correctly like almost all mature software release methodologies.

*upon which many based their Q1 2017 purchases in conjunction with Tesla's claim that included supercharging would go away after April 15, 2017*. Little did we know that they would bring it back a month later. Some might say there's a term for that, and that it rhymes with "sait and bwitch".

You can rightly blame Tesla but I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who bought then complain. I'm a believer in caveat emptor.

Anyone who buys something without test driving, or based on promises from someone selling a product, gets what they deserve, at least in my view. I test drove it and decided it wasn't worth the upgrade, even though I believed the FSD video at that time. I ordered my Model 3 without test driving (or even seeing one in person) so that means I can't complain when it comes to certain things.

As to free supercharging, it was a tactic and a slimy one at that (if premeditated), but again only buy what you want when you want it and it's not a concern.

Last edited:
As someone who designs aircraft systems, this terrifies me. Agile is not the way to develop safety critical systems, and it shows with the huge regressions in the latest two releases.
It is incorrect to equate frequent releases with what you infer to be loose and undisciplined methods. The most rapid and frequent releases are found in the DevOps community, which is rooted in one of the most disciplined practices in software, and where deployments take place at the rate of multiples to hundreds of times per day!! Amazon deploys at an average rate of one deployment every 11.7 seconds. This is possible only because of a rigid discipline.

It is incorrect to equate frequent releases with what you infer to be loose and undisciplined methods. The most rapid and frequent releases are found in the DevOps community, which is rooted in one of the most disciplined practices in software, and where deployments take place at the rate of multiples to hundreds of times per day!! Amazon deploys at an average rate of one deployment every 11.7 seconds. This is possible only because of a rigid discipline.
Totally agree - but in fairness, I've run into more than one software engineering group who mistakenly believed that implementing an Agile process meant they could do whatever they want. (And if you knew me, you'd know how quickly that misconception was corrected. :) )

For those who hold out hope for FSD on AP2 some time in the next decade, how exactly do you envision to the car cleaning any of the cameras other than the front windshield ones? If you ever drove in rain, you know what happens to the backup camera after just few minutes. Is it going to be only for billionaires in sunny California, like Elon, who have people to wash their car every day and don't need to worry about rain?

Wow. @calisnow is a bitch.

I never saw this hot mess as I'm in the X and 3 forums but.. I'm incredibly offended to see people back out when making bets to charity.

If @TaoJones and @BigD0g want to donate $100, or $1,000 to the charities discussed. I will match.

*chuckle* you should read some of my better stuff posted to this thread that got moved to snippiness by an overprotective and notoriously heavy-handed, kneejerk moderator.

Very kind of you to offer. Please note that I already donated as promised to Casa de Los Ninos in Tucson and posted the link for IWSNBN (it who shall not be named) to do likewise upthread.

It’s a modest but dedicated organization that would appreciate any and all help. Feel no pressure (anyone), but if you’re so inclined...

In the spirit of full disclosure I have zero fiduciary connection to CDLN, but did live in Tucson for 20 years and can vouch for their veracity: Donate - Casa de los Niños

@TaoJones

Done sir.

upload_2019-2-20_23-0-45.png

*chuckle* you should read some of my better stuff posted to this thread that got moved to snippiness by an overprotective and notoriously heavy-handed, kneejerk moderator.

Very kind of you to offer. Please note that I already donated as promised to Casa de Los Ninos in Tucson and posted the link for IWSNBN (it who shall not be named) to do likewise upthread.

It’s a modest but dedicated organization that would appreciate any and all help. Feel no pressure (anyone), but if you’re so inclined...

In the spirit of full disclosure I have zero fiduciary connection to CDLN, but did live in Tucson for 20 years and can vouch for their veracity: Donate - Casa de los Niños

Nicely done! Thanks and maximum karma in your direction indeed.

I honestly love a good scrap. Arguing, watching other argue - that's FLAVOR and seasoning. Censorship and moderation is pretty lame. Pretty sad when that's how you wield power over people. Ignore them or fight them, censoring them is a umm (let me think of a phrase that doesn't move this to snippiness) non valorous move.

I made an offer of my own free will and was happy to follow through for good causes.

I can't believe a persons dignity is worth less than $1,100. Worst case if they were really short. They could have apologized and donated whatever they could.. or do it over time.

Though honestly.. if you roll out a 10 pack of benjamins like you were going to make it "rain" for children, you best deliver.

Last edited:
Wow. @calisnow is a bitch.

I never saw this hot mess as I'm in the X and 3 forums but.. I'm incredibly offended to see people back out when making bets to charity.

If @TaoJones and @BigD0g want to donate $100, or $1,000 to the charities discussed. I will match. Or we can split the amount of donation. I'm game. Just let me know.

I made a donation to St. Jude’s childrens hospital for my bet, I didn’t want the kids to lose because some guy welches on a bet. Everyone’s free to do what they want with there money but I like to support the kids.

Feel free to match, partial match or nothing since you donated to @TaoJones charity already, it’s all good in the end.

But just in case; Give hope to kids with cancer

I made a donation to St. Jude’s childrens hospital for my bet, I didn’t want the kids to lose because some guy welches on a bet. Everyone’s free to do what they want with there money but I like to support the kids.

Feel free to match, partial match or nothing since you donated to @TaoJones charity already, it’s all good in the end.

But just in case; Give hope to kids with cancer

BigAngel is who you are. Pleased to share a car fraternity with honorable men like you and @TaoJones

I'm in 100 per month, split between St Jude / Casa de Los Ninos till we hit 1200.

Maybe @calisnow 's balls might drop someday, he will look down, see a pair and might man up to his commitments.

I will extend my bet to you @mongo which i have offered to several ppl since 2016 and haven't been taken up.
Will donate $1,000 dollars to a reputable charity of your pick if Tesla releases level 5 by end of 2020. Just think about the good 1k could do to a charity. If you truly believe as you say you do. This should be a no-brainer.

Last edited:
I will extend my bet to you @mongo which i have offered to several ppl since 2016 and haven't been taken up.
Will donate $1,000 dollars to a reputable charity of your pick if Tesla releases level 5 by end of 2020. Just think about the good 1k could do to a charity. If you truly believe as you say you do. This should be a no-brainer.

I've never said (nor have I said that Elon said) they would be Level 5 in 2020. Personally as a programmer/ spec reader, I don't think Level 5 is possible (even for humans), unless it includes the option to say "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that". Rather, I put things in the level 4-5 category (not needing to pay attention, it may not get there, but it probably won't have an at fault crash). Beyond all that, you and I debate about what Elon said he would/ will/ hopes to do, that is a different case that what will actually happen. I will be selecting FSD when I order my Pickup (which also does not currently exists, but I believe it will), that is a larger fiscal investment than $1k.

(If 1k could do a charity good, why not just contribute instead of making it contingent? 1k contributed today does more than 1k in 2020.)

BigAngel is who you are. Pleased to share a car fraternity with honorable men like you and @TaoJones

I'm in 100 per month, split between St Jude / Casa de Los Ninos till we hit 1200.

Maybe @calisnow 's balls might drop someday, he will look down, see a pair and might man up to his commitments.

Wasn’t he banned? It looks like he isn’t now but I thought I remember that was why he disappeared.

That's a sucker's bet. Just saying... And frankly @calisnows bet was easy money for the kids which is why I took it.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and MXWing

Your a gentlemen and a scholar and I thank you for contributing to the causes! Anyone else feel free to join in, even a $1 helps!

• Love
Reactions: MXWing