Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on the route taken. Highway 1 hugs the coastline for most of the trip and highway 101 is a wider road (2 lanes each direction) that is a little inland. The two merge in San Luis Obispo going south.

The total altitude difference between Monterey and Santa Barbara is virtually nothing, both are just a tad above sea level.

I just skimmed the LA Times article about the drive. The reporter chose to drive highway 1 and admitted he was under 50 mph for most of the first leg to Morro Bay. He was essentially hypermiling for half the trip. By taking highway 1 he also avoided having to climb the passes on 101, which aren't high by west coast standards, but would sap more energy from a battery than sticking to the coast and lower speeds.

Do you think Model S 60 could do that drive without recharging? Would you blindly throw keyfobs to strangers 240 miles from your destination?

Do you think the Bolt will go over 200 miles on a charge? GM claimed it would.

Evtripplanner reports a 10ish kWh difference between taking 1 and 101 from Monterey to SLO. But driving that portion of Highway 1 is often even slower going due to the number of RVs, tourists in general, no passing zones, and twisties (rock wall on one side, the Pacific Ocean on the other). Beautiful drive tho.

Go to Post #1 in this thread.

20 months ago, GM said they would sell a 200 mile EV in 2017 for $30k after federal incentive.

Can somebody explain to me why people keep saying this is not true?

I guess we know by Dec 31, 2017 whether this is the case or not, because they do have point today, since there are only press cars in the wild. But, I'd bet they will hit their goal at this point.

Any GM claim is first vetted by it's army of lawyers: if they can weasel out later, marketing is good to go.

It is their way; and while it sets them up for pissed off customers and ridicule later, people like you continue to defend them. <<shrug>>

Thankfully, not my problem ... at least until more taxpayer hand-outs are given.

Any GM claim is first vetted by it's army of lawyers: if they can weasel out later, marketing is good to go.

It is their way; and while it sets them up for pissed off customers and ridicule later, people like you continue to defend them. <<shrug>>

Thankfully, not my problem ... at least until more taxpayer hand-outs are given.

All EV makers currently (har) rely heavily on government handouts, in nearly all countries, not just the USA.

It's why some people have the mistaken illusion that an EV drivetrain is just as cheap as ICE. It's not close yet.

Do you think Model S 60 could do that drive without recharging? Would you blindly throw keyfobs to strangers 240 miles from your destination?

Uh, yes. I've already run the numbers, and a Model S would have used 209 RATED miles on that gerrymandered GM-dictated route.

The point is that GM purposefully selected a 230 mile route that would use substantially less energy than a real-world, round trip test. Any Tesla MS could make that trip and have a lot more charge remaining than the Bolts, which limped into Santa Barbara.

That is an assumption. My daughter goes to UCSB and the 101 in that area can suck more than a Dyson. It took us 1 hr to go 20 miles.

If the 101 was hosed, the Bolt would actually have done even better.

EDIT - GM purposely selected a distance that was the EPA distance. Gutsy move.

GM also tested the Bolt by the emerging 'Worldwide Harmonized Light-Duty Vehicles Test Procedure' and managed 236 miles
The Bolt fanbois call this cycle "extra stringent" but the details of the cycle --- well, you be the judge LOL
60 kph = ~ 37 mph
100 kph = 62 mph

wltp3.png

GM also tested the Bolt by the emerging 'Worldwide Harmonized Light-Duty Vehicles Test Procedure' and managed 236 miles
The Bolt fanbois call this cycle "extra stringent" but the details of the cycle --- well, you be the judge LOL
60 kph = ~ 37 mph
100 kph = 62 mph

wltp3.png

Do you know what you're looking at? Tell me what the car is doing from ~1500 seconds to ~1700 seconds. 3 minutes of what?