Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In some cases it's an advantage, in some it's a disadvantage. Having driven both extensively I've had FWD cars head for the ditch when the front wheels lost traction when applying power, especially on a hill start with a high crown road.

Only time I ever almost spun out while driving a car in the snow was in the old POS '87 Volvo 240. Accelerated onto the highway and nearly fishtailed into a ditch! Won't be doing any fishtailing in a FWD car unless you are hauling some serious ass.

Not so sure about that. While weight distribution is a factor, there's also a separate distinct advantage in having the tractive force being delivered by the wheels that can vector it.
This advantage is pretty much eliminated with modern traction and stability control. You would have a hard time fishtailing a modern RWD EV with traction and stability control. And as pointed out elsewhere, FWD actually has a disadvantage heading uphill (esp. for a car with a weight distribution close to 50:50).

Reactions: jgs and MP3Mike
Won't be doing any fishtailing in a FWD car unless you are hauling some serious ass.
I spun a FWD into a 180 at moderate speeds in the snow. FWD is not automatically better. There is a reason cars that depend on the best traction, dragsters, are RWD, and cars that depend on the best handling, road race cars, are RWD.

another reason for buying a Bolt over the 3 is that front wheel drive Is better for snow driving
Commonly said to be untrue of EVs because of two things: first, the engine weight over the drive wheels isn't a factor as it would be with ICE. Second, fantastic stability control systems. Lots and lots of RWD Model S owners in Norway and other snowy places seem to agree, i3 is RWD also.

AWD is better still (duh) but there is no FWD snow advantage for EVs.
Coming from a MINI, that's too big.
I'm hoping to convince my wife that a Model 3 will be OK despite being bigger than her VW GTI. She won't drive my Model S because of the size.

Reactions: Model 3
40-ish years ago I had a (2WD) Triumph Estate, can't even remember what engine size it was ... but it was amazing in the snow, and I put that down solely to the fact that it was blinking heavy! compared to other cars that I drove at that time which were similar-size, similar-shape, similar-engine.

(A quick Google suggests it was either 2L or 2.5L and 1.25 tons)

Not driven EV in the snow as yet (and the one I have is AWD anyway), but I'm hoping the huge weight!! is going to be an advantage in terms of stability and traction? let alone the amazing stability control system (DragTimes logged P100DL 0-60 as 2.5s in the dry, and only 2.7s in the wet !!)

Where I live, snow is found at high, steep terrain that is often poorly maintained, often dirt roads. The winner? A lightweight FWD car with tall narrow snow tires and chains on the nose. It beat out our 7800lb 4x4 with chains on all 4 tires.

The more something weighs, the crappier it behaves on ice when moving. Inertia is NOT your good buddy on ice.

Everybody has a choice whether to select RWD, FWD, AWD, or 4x4. You can go heavy or light. You can chose narrow aggressive snow tires. You can add chains on some, but not all cars. Cars designed to be pretty and low to the ground often won't handle chains even if you COULD get them on. It chews up the body of the car.

But only a fool takes a RWD car with 21" wheels and "all-season" tires in the mountains. That's just asking for trouble, And you make the rest of us wait around forever untll somebody can tow your ass and the car you hit. It's hard to get a tow truck when you've blocked the road with your block head.

Insideevs linking to a Costco page where you can configure a Bolt. All option prices listed.

RT
The retail option pricing has already been known for a month.

More 2017 Chevy Bolt Pricing Info Released - HybridCars.com

The invoice option pricing was also published on an auto forum just after the retail option prices:

California Dealers now taking BOLT EV orders

The new angle was having a slick "build it" web page but it's apparently been taken down now as it wasn't meant to be public yet and, I think, hadn't been linked from the usual Costco vehicle menu.

...tall narrow snow tires and chains on the nose.
Interesting tactic.
Bride_by_prakhar.jpg

[unpierced! . . . can't . avert . eyes ]

Back to getting stuck in the snow: What McRat said +

The neat thing about FWD is that you can turn the driven wheels into new ground contact and work your way into fresh territory with the heavier end of the car. Plus backing up out of a ditch gives you that 'RWD effect'.

Cables - carry a set of these at all times - lightweight and effective.
--

Sooo.....if you haven't already placed an order at a CA/OR dealer, sounds like you'll be waiting till next year for a Bolt.
GM’s Chevy Bolt EV Not Widely Available Until Spring

And if you aren't in CA/OR? You'll be waiting even longer. For those that already put in orders? We will be in rare company for a while!
To put the article in context...
I don't see any evidence that GM is making a few hundred Bolt EVs now and will then stop or slow down production until spring or anything like that. I think they are just setting expectations around the fact that the factory will be busy filling orders from initial rollout states and it will be awhile before they are able to fill orders from all nationwide dealers reasonably along with Europe, Canada, and South Korea.

> Cables - carry a set of these at all times - lightweight and effective.

Snow 'chain' CABLES are made of thin stainless steel cables instead of chains so they can fit in today's tight clearance wheel wells. Many drivers have never heard of these but they are often as good as chains. Much smoother at higher speeds than chains.
--

To put the article in context...
I don't see any evidence that GM is making a few hundred Bolt EVs now and will then stop or slow down production until spring or anything like that. I think they are just setting expectations around the fact that the factory will be busy filling orders from initial rollout states and it will be awhile before they are able to fill orders from all nationwide dealers reasonably along with Europe, Canada, and South Korea.

I take it as they will continue to produce Bolts....slowly, after the initial allocations are filled, but those Bolts will still only be available to CA and OR buyers. Once GM dots the i's and crosses the t's and works out the kinks with the production process, they will begin taking orders in the other 48 states and ramp up production.