Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Closest I've seen reported is 65 mph on flat ground, no wind, sea level at 48F, no HVAC. The screen indicated 18kW. My model, at that air density, predicted 17.5kW. Pretty close considering the screen indication rounds off any decimals.

Here're my latest guesses for energy consumption for the Bolt EV and IONIQ Electric. Warm temp, no HVAC, etc.

Bolt EV at 75mph is 320 Wh/mi...187mi.

20170131, Consumption vs Spd.png

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Closest I've seen reported is 65 mph on flat ground, no wind, sea level at 48F, no HVAC. The screen indicated 18kW.
The drag model says a combined 15.8 kW for air and tyres, so 2.2 kW for the rest.

At 75 mph, 22 kW for air and road, so 22 + 2.2*75/65 = 24.54 kW total anticipated.
That works out to 327 Wh/mile and presuming 59.5 kWh usable battery capacity, a range of ~ 182 miles.

According to the TFCL guy, GM said the Bolt could travel 170 miles on a full charge at WOT (Wide Open Throttle @ 92 mph). :cool:
HybridCars.com double-checked this claim with GM's press spokesman and the press rep says the actual result was 170 miles at 70 mph (not 92).

The rep says the GM engineer who was quoted as making that claim either misspoke or was misunderstood.

The new "170 miles at 70 mph" now seems perhaps pessimistic to me, offhand. I think we need to crowd-source some of these numbers for ourselves and find a consensus result. I'm not really trusting any of these sorts of numbers until that happens.

• Informative
Reactions: RobStark
Does this mean that the salesman who gave me a test drive was wrong when he told me, "range is 238 miles no matter how fast you drive"?! :)

I don't know, Bruce. Car salesman are known far and wide as the most reliable source of information about their cars - and you know you can trust them because they have absolutely no motive to mislead whatsoever.

• Funny
Reactions: RubberToe
Heat capacity of water is 62.1 BTU/°F/ft^3.
Heat capacity of air is 0.018 BTU/°F/ft^3.
So 343 times better.

Thank you kindly.

Bear in mind, though, that the liquid advantage is moderated by the necessity of dissipating the heat to the atmosphere via radiators, so the last step relies on the heat capacity of air. Of course, it is vastly easier and more efficient to use liquid in the cramped confines of the battery pack than to try to force air uniformly through the pack.

Reactions: jgs