Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

More like lacking any information supporting their arguments.

All it said was that dealers are selling it just like any other car (how else would they sell it?) and that they are pricing for market and location. Thus offering discounts for many buyers. Discounts, such a horrible thing to have.

I fail to see the problem here. The only problem mentioned is that the manufacturer can't control free market setting prices. I would say there are people who say that is a good thing. Why would we want any single party controlling prices?

"Erratic" pricing is simply different sales locations setting their own margins and their own price. The article lists no actual issues in buying the car, I expected something at least, but no, nothing is mentioned.

I agree with abolishing any legal dealership protections, but this is merely free market here in this story. That part of dealerships is not a bad thing. Tesla-thinking is clouding some of these articles clearly.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
There is something that you overlooked. Some people will pay more money for more performance.

Toyota Prius, 17.8 @ 79 mph
Honda Fit, 16.8 @ 84 mph
BMW i3, 15.8 @ 86 mph
Chevy Bolt, 15.0 @ 93 mph *
Tesla Model S 60, 14.2 @ 98 mph
Ford Mustang, V6, 14.1 @ 102 mph

Performance is always relative ... to other Tesla models :cool:

upload_2017-3-22_20-33-28.png

It will be once there are more compelling vehicles. Let's be real, the Bolt as an ICE is basically a Honda Fit, not really compelling. The only reason we are at all "excited" about it is it's the only other 200+ mile EV besides Tesla.

I find it humorous how you brush off the whole "200+ mile EV" point like it's some minor added feature like an additional cup holder.

That'd be like saying "The Tesla Supercharger network just adds a few additional charging options for owners. No biggie."

I find it humorous how you brush off the whole "200+ mile EV" point like it's some minor added feature like an additional cup holder.

That'd be like saying "The Tesla Supercharger network just adds a few additional charging options for owners. No biggie."
I don't see that as brushing it off. He said being the only 200+mile EV besides Tesla is the only reason we're at all excited about it. I see that as a true statement.

I don't think he's brushing off that it's 200+ miles, I believe he's saying that it's the only compelling part about the vehicle, at that price point.

I don't think he's brushing off that it's 200+ miles, I believe he's saying that it's the only compelling part about the vehicle, at that price point.

That is his opinion. While most the automotive press and Bolt owners disagree with him, for his purposes, it is only a faster version of a Honda Fit and automotive performance is not a feature he finds "compelling".

The big picture is different though. The Bolt EV fills a slot in the General Motors lineup of green technologies.

There are now 4 choices from General Motors when it comes to green technology, one of each technology type.
  • Malibu Hybrid - Mid-size (100cuft) car with exceptional economy and good performance
  • CT6 PHEV - Full sized, high technology, 31 miles EPA AER, good MPG, luxury car. 5.2 sec to 60mph in sport mode.
  • Volt EREV - 53 mile EPA AER range with peak performance in pure EV mode and good MPG in hybrid mode.
  • Bolt EV - 238 mile all-electric car with class leading performance.
You could argue that nobody else is covering the 4 types with better technology overall. Only the Malibu has serious competitors in it's price segment.

Even if it was actually the only "compelling" part of the car (it's not, but to Tesla fans, I guess that's their position), it's still a huge point. The first <$40k, 200+ mile mass produced BEV in history...and the fact that it didn't come from Tesla, the presumed EV king.

I guess the single point of being the first <$40k, 200+ mile BEV was more than enough to snag all those automotive awards. Imagine if GM actually tried! Tesla would be in real trouble! Lol

Reactions: mmd
I don't see that as brushing it off. He said being the only 200+mile EV besides Tesla is the only reason we're at all excited about it. I see that as a true statement.
Speaking personally, I think the Bolt has other great attributes beyond just the 200+ range:

* very good acceleration, even at highway speeds, compared to many cars and most EVs (Tesla excepted)

* excellent one-pedal driving mode that is better than Tesla and most other EVs

* excellent rear seat legroom and good headroom; excellent leg and headroom in front seats

* nice LCD driver instrumentation and larger than usual infotainment screen for displaying Apple or Google maps via a smartphone.

* bird's eye surround view makes for easy parking

* thoughtful storage layout

* over-the-air software updates although it remains to be seen what GM will do with it

Even with the various BEVs expected to be on the market between now and 2020 I'm quite happy with my Bolt purchase.

It's ideal for my urban commuter purposes and is easy to park where I live in San Francisco with its short length. I also find it adequate and useful for road trips today in California and in surrounding states soon as additional chargers are installed in the next couple of years.

I have a 2 car family and at some point I expect I may replace our aging 2004 Prius with a Model 3 in 3-4 years.

That is his opinion. While most the automotive press and Bolt owners disagree with him, for his purposes, it is only a faster version of a Honda Fit and automotive performance is not a feature he finds "compelling".

As I clearly explained previously the performance is a direct result of it being a 200+ mile EV, so my statement included it's inherent performance which results from a 200+ mile EV.

Reactions: techmaven
As I clearly explained previously the performance is a direct result of it being a 200+ mile EV, so my statement included it's inherent performance which results from a 200+ mile EV.

So you are saying that when the Leaf and i3 received sizable battery increases their performance went up?

Or are you saying that GM is bound by law to outperform their competition?

Do you think the Bolt's #1 competitor, the Nissan Leaf, will ever make a serious tech effort?

I'm not sure what you mean by tech effort. My issues with GM is their lack of charging infrastructure support, something Nissan has done...and that they require that you upgrade to the Premier trim to option active safety features.

I think there are many people that will look past the fact that the Bolt doesn't look like a $40k vehicle, and I think even more would be willing to do so if GM made some charging infrastructure investments.

A lesser issue is the idea that the Bolt is somehow competitive against the Model 3...but I don't really care to revisit this point.

• Love
Reactions: callmesam and GSP
Having a bigger battery pack makes it relatively easy to have good performance but it's not entirely a given. You still need to spend a little more on the inverter, cabling, and motor. Renault has a 40 kWh BEV now with anemic performance.

Reactions: GSP