Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned above my car with AC induction will regen all the way to a stop and the gauge will show current flowing into the pack.

Thinking about this a bit more my car has a transmission and I can only do this in first, and the final stop may come from gear drag and general driveline drag. If there is a significant downhill I have to use the brakes.

• Funny
Reactions: wycolo
Now what does a S60 pack cost? Or a Model 3 60.

That's a really good question. Tesla folks have told us that a couple years ago the pack was costing Tesla about a quarter the cost of the car - so an 85 pack was ~$20-25k a couple years ago.

Battery prices as a whole have dropped significantly since then, Tesla expected the Gigafactory to reduce cost by ~30% alone as I recall, and the 2170 cells and pack changes are supposed to help too.

So in summation, I have no idea. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Topher
LOL. Yeah. I'm thrilled to see GM stepping up. This is great. I was a big follower of the Volt development too.

I can tell you that I don't need to test drive the Bolt because I'd much rather own the Model 3!
I don't think it'll be in the same class regardless. Model 3 is a premium luxury small car and the Bolt will be the down market offering.

Difference of opinion, I don't consider my Model X as a premium vehicle, compared to 25 years of Lexus, Mercedes, and Porsche. I really doubt the Model 3 will even come close to that label, but we are all entitled to our perspectives.

However, I would agree the Model 3 will exceed the Bolt in many aspects, but at a much higher final price.

Difference of opinion, I don't consider my Model X as a premium vehicle, compared to 25 years of Lexus, Mercedes, and Porsche. I really doubt the Model 3 will even come close to that label, but we are all entitled to our perspectives.

However, I would agree the Model 3 will exceed the Bolt in many aspects, but at a much higher final price.

99% of people would consider any vehicle that starts at $82k to be a premium vehicle, whether you consider it to be as luxurious inside as a Lexus,Mercedes, Porsche or not.

Model 3 will be an entry level luxury vehicle. Whether one wants to believe it or not.

Model 3 will exceed Bolt in virtually every aspect for the same exact manufacture price. Except room above and around your head, the ability to stick in large objects in the hatch vs the Model 3 trunk, and Bolt will have a conventional instrument cluster while Model 3 will not.

Model 3 will exceed Bolt in virtually every aspect for the same exact manufacture price. Except room above and around your head, the ability to stick in large objects in the hatch vs the Model 3 trunk, and Bolt will have a conventional instrument cluster while Model 3 will not.
Also, the Bolt's base price will include CarPlay/AndroidAuto and its enhanced one-pedal full stop regen.

99% of people would consider any vehicle that starts at $82k to be a premium vehicle, whether you consider it to be as luxurious inside as a Lexus,Mercedes, Porsche or not.

Model 3 will be an entry level luxury vehicle. Whether one wants to believe it or not.

Show me one premium vehicle over even $60K that does not have Sat radio, or has air suspension but not the ability to adjust the ride, or has as much road and wind noise over 66 MPH ... enuff said.

Although both cars have the same base price tag, It won't be until the configuration tool is available to compare included options and pricing.

It very well could be that the Model 3 base price is so stripped down, that to get comparable vehicles the Model 3 may be at a much higher
"out the door" price.

Clearly, the Bolt may not offer any AP, but it may have more standard features than the Model 3.

One thing the Bolt may never have is the Supercharger network, which is essential for a car capable of travel more than 200 miles on a single charge.

Show me one premium vehicle over even $60K that does not have Sat radio, or has air suspension but not the ability to adjust the ride, or has as much road and wind noise over 66 MPH ... enuff said.
Optional Satellite Radio
BMW X6 $62k, satellite radio is part of the $1,550 premium package
Build Your Own BMW - BMW North America
Home - BMW North America

Air suspension with no ride adjustment
2017 Range Rover $85k has air suspension $85k, but from user manual, no ride adjustments (only height)
Land Rover Owner Information

From what I can tell, the ride adjustment is a factor of damper/shock settings, with nothing to do with air suspension (air suspension mainly is for height adjustment and replaces springs). The car needs to have electronic damper control for that, and this is independent of air suspension (you can have a car with ride settings using standard springs, for example Porsche's PASM, and vice versa like in this Range Rover).

Noise
Quick google found this spec:
2012 Model S P85 $107k
Sound level @ idle (dB) 35.4
@ Full throttle (dB) 64.2
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 61.2
2012 Tesla Model S Road Test Specs | Edmunds

2013 BMW M5 $92k:
Sound level @ idle (dB) 49.0
@ Full throttle (dB) 82.1
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 63.0
2013 BMW M5 Road Test Specs | Edmunds
Although both cars have the same base price tag, It won't be until the configuration tool is available to compare included options and pricing.

It very well could be that the Model 3 base price is so stripped down, that to get comparable vehicles the Model 3 may be at a much higher
"out the door" price.

Clearly, the Bolt may not offer any AP, but it may have more standard features than the Model 3.

One thing the Bolt may never have is the Supercharger network, which is essential for a car capable of travel more than 200 miles on a single charge.
Actually economy cars tend to be more fully loaded at the same price than a premium car. A 3 series at $35k is a stripped model, but a $35k Chevy is going to be loaded. The standard equipment levels are not necessarily the differentiator for a premium vehicle.

Title needs to be amended to 200 miles round trip range.

You better have a well thought out plan and plenty of time on your hands if you taking the Bolt 200 miles away from home.

Can't just talk to the Bolt and go "navigate to super charger" and be good to go 30 minutes later to whatever you are going.

Saw my first Bolt "in the wild" today. I had seen a pre-production Bolt indoors, and I expected it to look smaller outdoors. More like a Honda fit. I was surprised that it look more substantial than I anticipated.

I can see people wanting this car if they are interested in a small SUV. While the Bolt is not really an SUV, but neither is the model X. I plan to take a test drive.

Saw my first Bolt "in the wild" today. I had seen a pre-production Bolt indoors, and I expected it to look smaller outdoors. More like a Honda fit. I was surprised that it look more substantial than I anticipated.

I can see people wanting this car if they are interested in a small SUV. While the Bolt is not really an SUV, but neither is the model X. I plan to take a test drive.
I saw one near a Fit too. Styling is the similar but Bolt is larger. Think of it more like a subcompact CUV like a Trax, rather than typical subcompact.

The question now is whether a company identified with the industry’s bygone glory days can be a trendsetter in 21st-century transportation — and beat out Silicon Valley rivals like Google, Tesla and Uber with no legacy business to encumber them...

Looks like we won't need to be asking this question of Chrysler...

All Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids Recalled & Sales Paused For Months

If something similar is brewing in the Bolt innards (like a $0.50 oyster shot), we might have the answer for GM too ;)

RT

Last edited:
GM lists the price of the Chevy Bolt EV’s battery pack at $15,734.29 – $262/kWh

Chevrolet spokesperson Fred Ligouri confirmed the information last week (via Green Car Reports):
“The current list price of a Bolt EV HV battery pack is $15,734.29 and the part number is 24285978.”
To be clear, that’s the list price of the battery pack, not the actual cost. It’s the price a Bolt EV owner would have to pay, at the discretion of the dealerships of course, if they had to replace the pack outside of the warranty for some reason.

GM had already disclosed that it was paying LG $145 per kWh for the battery cells of the Bolt EV. Assuming a 25% gross margin on the $262 per kWh list price, it would come down to something like a cost of $196.50 per kWh with a split of $145/kWh for the cells and $51.50/KWh at the pack level costs, which would actually make sense.