Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trump threatens to cut electric car subsidies (aka the fed tax credit) in response to GM's announcement of worker layoffs and plant closings. As I believe it's impossible to exclude a single manufacturer from claiming the federal EV tax credits, this likely means Cheeto man-child is hellbent on killing the current credit program for ALL EVs.
tl;dr - adios federal EV tax credit!
Kudlow hints U.S. may withdraw electric-car subsidies after GM job-cut announcement

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors and MXWing
Trump threatens to cut electric car subsidies (aka the fed tax credit) in response to GM's announcement of worker layoffs and plant closings. As I believe it's impossible to exclude a single manufacturer from claiming the federal EV tax credits, this likely means Cheeto man-child is hellbent on killing the current credit program for ALL EVs.
Kudlow hints U.S. may withdraw electric-car subsidies after GM job-cut announcement

Looking is not the same as passing legislation or an executive order.

Tesla should figure out how to capitalize on recent events at $GMQ's expense.

Reactions: outdoors

He makes a lot of threats and this one is pretty hollow. First, he can't do it by executive order because laws passed by Congress can't be changed by executive order. This would require Congress to pass a law. After Jan 1, the votes are definitely not there in the House and even if they tried to ram something through in the lame duck session, the votes are probably not there in the Senate. There are a handful of senators from the Upper Midwest who know their next re-election bid is going to be tough, but they would be sealing their fate if they did anything to hurt the car industry.

It looks like Congress isn't really all that interested in passing anything in the lame duck session.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
You guys laugh at the state of the CCS fast charging network, but I'm looking forward to the "Supercharger Armageddon" stories next week. :D Should be extra bad this year with all those Model 3s out there.

Any melt down leads yet @bro1999? I heard about Kettleman City being down for about 4 hours due to a power outage that hit the entire area. Other than some crowding reported I haven't seen any serious whining in the California Supercharger forum, which I would think would follow any serious line waiting. Maybe tonight and Sunday will be big travel days too. Keeping my fingers crossed! ;)
RT

This is a potential solution going forward... many owners reported seeing those posters :cool:

Tesla Supercharger network gets a rough test with Thanksgiving travels

upload_2018-11-27_19-25-26.png

Reactions: scottf200
Ironically there is a chance the EV rebate might be extended, especially with the D's running the house.
Trump should use his money to buy all the cars that no one is buying.

What money? He is so massively leveraged his net worth is negative.

I doubt any extension of the EV credits will make it to Trump's desk. It will likely die in the Senate.

Awesome video explaining all the high voltage components and how they hook up in a Bolt.

Something I didn't know: The Bolt cannot heat its battery when you do a fast charge. It can only heat the battery when you charge via J1772. So a cold soaked battery looking to get a fast charge is out of luck. Generally, you'd drive to a fast charger and charge right away, so this isn't usually a problem, and if the fast charger is busy, charge up on the J1772. But if both are busy on a cold windy night, hmmm.

Can't wait for a similar tear down of the Model S and 3.

Also, can you guys take the Administration EV tax policy conversation into the appropriate thread?

Awesome video explaining all the high voltage components and how they hook up in a Bolt.

Something I didn't know: The Bolt cannot heat its battery when you do a fast charge. It can only heat the battery when you charge via J1772. So a cold soaked battery looking to get a fast charge is out of luck. Generally, you'd drive to a fast charger and charge right away, so this isn't usually a problem, and if the fast charger is busy, charge up on the J1772. But if both are busy on a cold windy night, hmmm.

Can't wait for a similar tear down of the Model S and 3.

Also, can you guys take the Administration EV tax policy conversation into the appropriate thread?
I find it interesting that GM used a separate low voltage harness in cars with DCFC. According to the video no one has gotten a retro fit to work and he thought it could be due to that (and whatever other software bits and bobs that were missing).

That struck me as weird. It doesn't seem like it's a hardware thing, either - the battery heater is powered off of the high voltage junction box, which has power in either case. So it seems like it's an operating strategy decision GM made, and I don't see why.

Possibly the CCS chargers can't deliver only enough power to run the heater, or they're worried about being able to control the charger enough to precisely run only the heater for those cases where the pack is cold enough that any charging is dangerous to the pack? (I've been told that trying to charge a Lithium battery below freezing runs a risk of plating lithium metal onto the anode?)

The Prof is wrong. I have observed my Bolt's battery heater turn on while fast charging in sub-freezing temperatures while monitoring via the TorquePro app. The battery heater uses between 2-3 kW of power when active. It'll stay on until the HV battery temp reaches around 70F, then turn off.

The Prof is wrong. I have observed my Bolt's battery heater turn on while fast charging in sub-freezing temperatures while monitoring via the TorquePro app. The battery heater uses between 2-3 kW of power when active. It'll stay on until the HV battery temp reaches around 70F, then turn off.

You might wan to say that in the YouTube comments. The prof reads and responds to those comments.

Reactions: abasile