Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how legit this dealer is but someone in a Bolt FB group pointed to New Chevy Vehicles in MA at Quirk Chevy MA in MA.

They have 2020 Bolts starting at "$21,495" but actually that includes a $1500 "trade assist" discount, so you actually need to add $1500 to most/all their prices --> $22,995 to start. From a quick glance, looks like the cheapest ones with ($750) DC fast charge inlet (will show up on window sticker link if it has it) have MSRP of $38,245. Those are $23,745 (once you add back $1,500 to $22,245).

Man... these are quite cheap.

Oddly, I don't notice any Premier trims, only the lower LT trim. If you want the better stereo (part of the infotainment package) or Surround Vision (4 camera system), you need to go to the Premier trim...

• Helpful
Reactions: Reeler
I don't know how legit this dealer is but someone in a Bolt FB group pointed to New Chevy Vehicles in MA at Quirk Chevy MA in MA.

They have 2020 Bolts starting at "$21,495" but actually that includes a $1500 "trade assist" discount, so you actually need to add $1500 to most/all their prices --> $22,995 to start. From a quick glance, looks like the cheapest ones with ($750) DC fast charge inlet (will show up on window sticker link if it has it) have MSRP of $38,245. Those are $23,745 (once you add back $1,500 to $22,245).

Oddly, I don't notice any Premier trims, only the lower LT trim. If you want the better stereo (part of the infotainment package) or Surround Vision (4 camera system), you need to go to the Premier trim...

For the price, the Bolt is the best EV out there. Love the room, heated steering wheel and the Apple Carplay.

I wonder how soon this new pricing will work its way through to the used market?
Did a quick check on CarMax and they are still selling 2018 Bolts for prices in the mid-20s.

If the prices in the used market collapse to match the collapse in the (effective) new price, I'd be interested in picking up a 3 year old Bolt to use as our second car, to replace the 2004 Saturn Vue. Targeting a price of around $10K.

I wonder how soon this new pricing will work its way through to the used market?
Did a quick check on CarMax and they are still selling 2018 Bolts for prices in the mid-20s.

If the prices in the used market collapse to match the collapse in the (effective) new price, I'd be interested in picking up a 3 year old Bolt to use as our second car, to replace the 2004 Saturn Vue. Targeting a price of around $10K.
A quick search on https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...ORT&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28881&zc=98052 shows the cheapest used Bolts selling for just under $14K.

In Q3 2020, Chevrolet Bolt EV Sales In The U.S. Improved By 18%

Online Ordering Guide was posted in a FB group today. The author said
2021 Bolt Ev ordering guide is now available
Looks like the only major changes are that DCFC is standard on the Premier, and if you want DCFC on an LT, you have to select the Comfort and Convenience package.
I can confirm the DC FC standard on Premier part. I haven't carefully looked over the rest. For whatever reason, Bolt is listed under Chevy truck.

Chevy Bolt praise and Tesla hit piece.

Sponsored: What Electric Vehicle to Buy? A Chevy Bolt EV or a Tesla Model 3? – The Mercury News

Author loves the looks better than a 3--a sign of bad taste. Also forgets to mention range, superchargers, terrible Bolt seats, and recalled status of the Bolt. His main repeated argument is about price, and he states Tesla builds all their cars at max specs to jack the price. He must not have gone to the Tesla website to see you customize your own car.

I think he is either working for GM or just took an article from their advertising department and ran with it.

Doesn't really seem to have drastically accelerated the price drop on used Bolts (there is a little bit of an elbow on the 2017 curve but I'd attribute that to cars coming off lease).

If you are like me and don't need the range setting it to 90% or below (nerfing range) doesn't affect usability or value.

End result if you were thinking about buying one new you should look at a Model 3 or Model Y instead. If you are looking for a cheaper car you should be looking at a 2017 Bolt or 2018 Bolt because the Model 3/Y don't depreciate much and aren't really worth buying used right now.

$40,000 model 3 vs $15,000 Chevy Bolt vs $10,000 Nissan Leaf is the makeup of the used market right now. With the bolt replacing the Leaf as the value EV play on the used market and pushing the Leaf down into "beater" territory.

The only question that remains is whether the Bolt is as reliable as the Leaf.

upload_2020-11-22_17-31-1.png
upload_2020-11-22_17-33-58.png

Last edited:
Chevy Bolt praise and Tesla hit piece.

Sponsored: What Electric Vehicle to Buy? A Chevy Bolt EV or a Tesla Model 3? – The Mercury News

Author loves the looks better than a 3--a sign of bad taste. Also forgets to mention range, superchargers, terrible Bolt seats, and recalled status of the Bolt. His main repeated argument is about price, and he states Tesla builds all their cars at max specs to jack the price. He must not have gone to the Tesla website to see you customize your own car.

I think he is either working for GM or just took an article from their advertising department and ran with it.

If he loves his Bolt I'm happy for him. BTW, the article says "Sponsored" -- that should tell you a lot.
Anyway, I have much more problem with the people driving brand new BMW / Audi / Mercedes cars at price points at or higher than a Tesla "enjoying" worse performance, smaller passenger and luggage space. Those people continue to poison the planet for no advantage to them whatsoever, and that is what I find revolting. Those, who can't afford a Tesla have an excuse, those who drive another EV -- good for them.

Doesn't really seem to have drastically accelerated the price drop on used Bolts (there is a little bit of an elbow on the 2017 curve but I'd attribute that to cars coming off lease).

If you are like me and don't need the range setting it to 90% or below (nerfing range) doesn't affect usability or value.

End result if you were thinking about buying one new you should look at a Model 3 or Model Y instead. If you are looking for a cheaper car you should be looking at a 2017 Bolt or 2018 Bolt because the Model 3/Y don't depreciate much and aren't really worth buying used right now.

$40,000 model 3 vs $15,000 Chevy Bolt vs $10,000 Nissan Leaf is the makeup of the used market right now. With the bolt replacing the Leaf as the value EV play on the used market and pushing the Leaf down into "beater" territory.

The only question that remains is whether the Bolt is as reliable as the Leaf.

View attachment 610939
View attachment 610940

If it hadn't been for the pandemic Model 3s might have been flat this year. They start angling down in March.

Bolt prices are closer to a straight line.

I test drove the Bolt sometime in August this year, right before buying the Model 3. Even though I got a really good lease deal for the Bolt I still decided to go with the Model 3. A dealer in Sunrise, FL. offered a 3 year lease for $266 plus tax a month with $1,700 down for 3 years. Having manual seats with no memory once the biggest deal breaker.

I test drove the Bolt sometime in August this year, right before buying the Model 3. Even though I got a really good lease deal for the Bolt I still decided to go with the Model 3. A dealer in Sunrise, FL. offered a 3 year lease for $266 plus tax a month with $1,700 down for 3 years. Having manual seats with no memory once the biggest deal breaker.

The Model 3 is the first car I've ever had with memory seats. I got the upgraded interior only because I didn't want to wait for a lower trim level to be available. I didn't want the upgraded interior at all.

I LOVE the upgraded interior. :D

End result if you were thinking about buying one new you should look at a Model 3 or Model Y instead. If you are looking for a cheaper car you should be looking at a 2017 Bolt or 2018 Bolt
FWIW, due to the potential battery fire recall, GM issued a stop sale on used '17 to '19 Bolts even AFTER the 90% SoC limiter patch is applied. It doesn't apply to '20 Bolts though.

See https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-2489.pdf and https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V701-3731.pdf.

Someone on Monday claimed the stop sale was lifted but I haven't seen proof and haven't had time to dig.

So, if the stop sale's in place, no GM dealer will sell you one of those vehicles for now and many big name used car retailers might not either.

As for the bolded part, new Bolts are still much cheaper than Model 3's, esp. if you go with a stripped down Bolt and WAY cheaper than a Y. Bolts are heavily discounted. MSRP is nutty by today's standards and nobody pays that.

I've had my '19 Bolt for well over 1.5 years now. In the My Chevrolet app, as of a few hours ago, it still tells me that there are no recalls on my car. And, when I put in my VIN into Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment for the last few days, there are also no open recalls. Q12 of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RMISC-20V701-5348.pdf explains why some '19 and all '20 Bolts are involved.

If people are curious to see more info about the recall and the associated documents like the above, go to 2019 CHEVROLET BOLT EV 5 HB FWD and look under 20V701000. There are currently 10 associated documents. There were initially only 1 to 3 of them, IIRC.

Anyway, whenever the stop sale is lifted, used '17 Bolts are definitely quite cheap as I bet a ton of lease returns entered the market. When I bought my '19 at end of Jan 2019, there were almost no used Bolts and they were so expensive that it wasn't worth it vs. a new one. GM supposedly only did 3 year leases and they went on sale in mid-Dec 2016.

FWIW, due to the potential battery fire recall, GM issued a stop sale on used '17 to '19 Bolts even AFTER the 90% SoC limiter patch is applied. It doesn't apply to '20 Bolts though.

See https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-2489.pdf and https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V701-3731.pdf.

Someone on Monday claimed the stop sale was lifted but I haven't seen proof and haven't had time to dig.

So, if the stop sale's in place, no GM dealer will sell you one of those vehicles for now and many big name used car retailers might not either.

As for the bolded part, new Bolts are still much cheaper than Model 3's, esp. if you go with a stripped down Bolt and WAY cheaper than a Y. Bolts are heavily discounted. MSRP is nutty by today's standards and nobody pays that.

I've had my '19 Bolt for well over 1.5 years now. In the My Chevrolet app, as of a few hours ago, it still tells me that there are no recalls on my car. And, when I put in my VIN into Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment for the last few days, there are also no open recalls. Q12 of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RMISC-20V701-5348.pdf explains why some '19 and all '20 Bolts are involved.

If people are curious to see more info about the recall and the associated documents like the above, go to 2019 CHEVROLET BOLT EV 5 HB FWD and look under 20V701000. There are currently 10 associated documents. There were initially only 1 to 3 of them, IIRC.

Anyway, whenever the stop sale is lifted, used '17 Bolts are definitely quite cheap as I bet a ton of lease returns entered the market. When I bought my '19 at end of Jan 2019, there were almost no used Bolts and they were so expensive that it wasn't worth it vs. a new one. GM supposedly only did 3 year leases and they went on sale in mid-Dec 2016.

bolt has been batterygated to 90%? what do the owners say about that?

You get what you pay for. GM is an unreliable company. They'll do nothing good and nothing to benefit their customers unless forced. You can buy an inferior fire-trap car cheap. And you might get lucky and not get killed.

But then, I drove a Zap Xebra for four years and that car made anything from GM look like a deathproof luxury car. It was worth it to me because at the time it was the best EV you could get. Put a smile on my face every time I drove it. Zero to 35 mph (its top speed on level ground) in 31 seconds.