Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to know who was responsible for the seats.
LOL. When I had first production model 3 on order and it was delayed delayed delayed... I test drove a Bolt because I thought for a moment of getting one of those while full tax credits were available. But my sore butt and pinched shoulders after the test drive told me not to buy a Bolt under any circumstances...

What? Tesla literally would have many quarters of losses if not for selling these carbon credits.

By selling carbon credits, Tesla is enabling manufacturers to pump polluting cars and destroy the environment.

The limit on every car manufacturer to date has been batteries. Tesla has been the only company to date that could get enough batteries to mass produce any EV. The news is full of legacy makers expanding their battery supply with claims they will start mass producing EVs.

The Big 3 auto makers have been selling lots of gas guzzling ICE trucks because that's what the market wants. I was talking to a sales guy at the local Ford dealership 5 years ago. He said they keep a handful of used cars on the lot and they could order a new car, but there was zero demand for new cars. He said their new sales are almost all trucks or truck based SUVs.

GM and Ford have announced EV trucks that will be coming out soon. Most of the legacy automakers see the handwriting on the wall and are scrambling to convert before it's too late.

GM is slow off the mark, but so is the rest of the legacy industry. Nobody can afford to continue to make EVs in small numbers. The companies that aren't going in that direction will likely be out of business in 10 years.

whats with mach-e pricing
Good move by Ford to prevent price gouging by dealers.

1616086409407.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: mk677
Autoline from last thursday featured Rob Mantinan, Program Engineering Manager for the Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV. Lots of interesting insights into the new upgrades to the product. The drivetrain itself is largely unchanged. They did upgrade L2 charging to 11.5 kW. (Seems like many manufacturers are converging on 48A/11.5 kW as a sweet spot for L2 charging capabilities.) Though it sounds like they won't be improving the DCFC rates, currently 55 kW max, until their new Ultium battery tech is released. As usual, McElroy and Vasilash remain skeptical of EVs...

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
They did upgrade L2 charging to 11.5 kW. (Seems like many manufacturers are converging on 48A/11.5 kW as a sweet spot for L2 charging capabilities.)

You see that kind of thing a lot in products and it is usually because the underlying chips, or in this case silicon carbide power electronics, from the chip suppliers are made available to everyone. Tesla, of course, was the first manufacturer to use this current generation of power electronics.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
You see that kind of thing a lot in products and it is usually because the underlying chips, or in this case silicon carbide power electronics, from the chip suppliers are made available to everyone. Tesla, of course, was the first manufacturer to use this current generation of power electronics.

I suspect there is a lot of commonality of design with areas of the world that use Type 2 (i.e., three phase) connections as well. E.g., three 16 amp sections combine to make a 48 amp capability - one way or the other. Same with the 72 amp chargers Tesla put in the S and X a while back. The 48 amp capability also covers the common case of 14-50 charging with a 40 amp EVSE.

I know Silicon Carbide FET's are used in Tesla's latest inverters, are they used in the chargers as well?

Complete nonsense... dealers don't need to gouge customers to stay in business.
nonsense?? I prefer to rely on basic economics, usually taught in ECO 101.

in it's most simple version the theory is that when demand exceeds supply the price of a very desired item the price of that item will increase.
if a car store has in it's possession 1 car that is unique and is unavailable elsewhere they'd be foolish to not put a premium on the car.

if you feel as if the dealership has priced the car too high, just don't buy the car from them, try to source it elsewhere.
the degradation of economic/financial education generates comments like this.
it's just business.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
... dealers don't need to gouge customers to stay in business.

True. They don't need to. They make most of their money on repairs and service, like oil changes and such. But while they don't need to gouge customers, they will if customers are willing to pay. In a free-market economy if you have big wealth disparity between individuals, the people with the most money will get all the best stuff. The dealer system simplifies distribution for the manufacturers, but makes car-buying more complicated for consumers. On the good side, it makes it easier to get repairs.

nonsense?? I prefer to rely on basic economics, usually taught in ECO 101.

in it's most simple version the theory is that when demand exceeds supply the price of a very desired item the price of that item will increase.
if a car store has in it's possession 1 car that is unique and is unavailable elsewhere they'd be foolish to not put a premium on the car.

if you feel as if the dealership has priced the car too high, just don't buy the car from them, try to source it elsewhere.
the degradation of economic/financial education generates comments like this.
it's just business.
More nonsense from someone who does not fully understand economics... your avatar is telling.
Business is not based on a single transaction, it's the long-term relationship with the customer. ;)

Final remedy for fire recall was finally announced. Latest doc at Vehicle Detail Search | NHTSA (there are currently 20) is at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V701-7407.PDF.

Learn About was updated, as well.

Now that there's a final remedy, the stop sale (once the fix is applied) should be lifted on all '17 and '18 + recalled '19 Bolts. I did a quick search last night and oddly, used prices (e.g. at https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...ENT&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28881&zc=00001) seem to have gone up.

I wonder how long that will hold given that some recalled Bolt owners pursued buybacks from GM. Some of them got really good deals (supposedly due to strong lemon laws in their state) while others received crappy offers.

Last edited:
More information available here... Chevy Bolt battery fix announced – is it enough? - Electrek

GM’s official Bolt battery fix announcement

General Motors is notifying owners of select 2017-2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EVs that it has developed a remedy to complete the previously announced safety recall.
As part of the service procedure, dealers will utilize GM-developed diagnostic tools to identify potential battery anomalies and replace battery module assemblies as necessary. The remedy will also include the installation of advanced onboard diagnostic software into these vehicles that, among other things, has the ability to detect potential issues related to changes in battery module performance before problems can develop.
Customers will need to visit their nearest participating Chevrolet EV dealer to have the remedy service procedure performed. Once the remedy procedure is completed, the dealer will remove the 90% state of charge limitation and return the battery to its previous 100% charging capability.
Customers of 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EVs will be able to have this remedy performed starting on April 29 and customers who own 2017 and 2018 model year Bolt EVs will be eligible to have the remedy performed by the end of May. We will also be making the advanced diagnostic software available to all other Bolt EV owners in the coming months. Additionally, we will be making this diagnostic software standard in the 2022 Bolt EV and EUV, as well as future GM electric vehicles.
GM News Relations update – April 29, 2021

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200