Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chevrolet Bolt EV is the Future Car for Everyone | Mashable CES 2016 - YouTube

Love the mirror going from standard to 80 degree camera view.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/yJqFZ6y.png
yJqFZ6y.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/YSvhOdb.png
YSvhOdb.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a self fulfilling prophecy. If you don't include DC charging then people won't travel in the car. If people don't travel in the car then business or companies won't spend the money to build out a network because "look! Only 20% of EV drivers bother to install DC charging!" Obviously making that percentage up but until a network is there it's tough to create enough of a demand. I bet if people were forced to get DC charging with the car they might actually try to use it and demand the charging infrastructure get built out quicker.
Chevy is obviously trying to hit a certain price-point and doesn't see the point of including DC charging or building out a network of their own. It will still make a good second car and can be a primary car for some as well of course.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. If you don't include DC charging then people won't travel in the car. If people don't travel in the car then business or companies won't spend the money to build out a network because "look! Only 20% of EV drivers bother to install DC charging!" Obviously making that percentage up but until a network is there it's tough to create enough of a demand. I bet if people were forced to get DC charging with the car they might actually try to use it and demand the charging infrastructure get built out quicker.
Chevy is obviously trying to hit a certain price-point and doesn't see the point of including DC charging or building out a network of their own. It will still make a good second car and can be a primary car for some as well of course.

I don't agree. The car, that's driven the most, is the primary car and usually, that's the one for commuting to work and back and for daily errands. Most weekend trips are below 200km one way, so the Bolt will cover that too.
It's interesting to see you Tesla fans, how you changed your tune in these few years. When there was no SC network, range posed minimal problem for you. Even Bjorn did his North Cape trip on public AC charging network.
Now, when a Model3 competition came out, you sound like a bunch of fossil car fans looking down on EVs.

Remember the Tejon ranch for holidays?

• Disagree
Reactions: Edmond
I don't know about the rest of the "Tesla fans", but for me superchargers enabled the trips I wasn't making in the past. Which is why my annual mileage went up 50% since Tesla. But, yes, I would agree that, if the price wasn't an issue, the group of people that will take a 300 mile range is higher than the group that will take a 200 mile range, which is higher than the group that will take a 100 mile range. And some out of the first group will "look down" on the cars in the other groups.

"All they can do is try to attack Tesla"? I cannot see a long presentation reduced to just two sentences. Thanks to Tesla EVs have come back strong and are bought by people who probably would not have bought them. But alot of people cannot and probably will not buy a Tesla soon for more reasons than the starting price. Until the Model 3 becomes a real vehicle other companies are out there offering other choices for buying sooner.

I find it hilariously funny, like the Bezos sour grapes tweet ("welcome to the club") after Falcon 9's first stage landed.

I think bitter comments from GM are to be expected. They were beaten by the Japanese, threw away their early advantages with the EV1, suffered the humiliation of bankruptcy, and are despised by a wide segment of the American public for being "bailed out". On top of that, Mustang completely destroyed Camaro in sales this past year. Angry comments are usually a sign of weakness.

Wow! This thread is already 133 pages long. I have several thousand share of TSLA stock, and I own a Model S. So I am a total Tesla fanboy. I'll be ordering two Model 3 when possible. Yet, I must say, I am very excited about the Bolt. I think it will sell all they can make as Tesla is also selling all the Model 3 they can make. My college age son has a VW TDI that looks like it is being bought back end of this year by VW. I'll take that money, add a bit and buy a Bolt for my son gladly.

How about you take a look in the mirror? GM puts out a nice 200 mile BEV, with production starting this year and you guys have so little nice to say about it, only searching for it's weaknesses.
The difference is we are Tesla fans, it is expected we favor Tesla. On the other hand, GM is a large car company and they can't resist talking bad about Tesla. Tesla's official statement on the other hand is that they welcome cars like the Bolt:
"Commitments from traditional car makers to build electric vehicles advance Tesla’s mission to accelerate the advent of sustainable transportation. We hope to see all those additional zero-emission vehicles on the road."
http://jalopnik.com/the-chevrolet-bolt-is-exactly-what-tesla-motors-wanted-1751470440

I bet Tesla's Model 3 unveiling will not have backhanded comments against the Bolt. GM on the other hand can't resist. That gives me the continued impression the Bolt is GM's effort to call "first", much like the Bezos example pointed out earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

It's interesting to see you Tesla fans, how you changed your tune in these few years. When there was no SC network, range posed minimal problem for you. Even Bjorn did his North Cape trip on public AC charging network.
Now, when a Model3 competition came out, you sound like a bunch of fossil car fans looking down on EVs.

The difference is the cars don't exist in a vacuum (while back when no such network existed). For me the Bolt (as well as rumored Gen 2 Leaf) will overlap with the Model 3 in terms of the next car I'm looking for. The supercharger network is a huge advantage in the comparison. Right now with CCS and CHAdeMO, I can't make a very common trip from SF to LA comfortably. A lot of them have to do with the network designers not making the right choices to support long distance travel (in terms of spacing, station location, and also installing enough chargers in a location for redundancy).

The Bolt will sell every copy at 30k per year in the USA because there is a large enough market that does not care about long distance travel. But I don't think it can sell 100k-200k per year in the USA, like Tesla plans for the Model 3, without a viable long distance quick charging network.

Unlike in Europe, where waiting around for the government to install chargers will work, for the US the chargers largely have to be private installations. The government has been very slow in pushing for DC chargers, esp. ones for long distance (instead of local city use). Even California (the most aggressive in terms of pushing EVs) has been very slow in installing DC chargers.

Last edited:
Tesla's official statement on the other hand is that they welcome cars like the Bolt:

Then Tesla community should welcome and embrace it as well. Don't mind, what GM is saying.
In the end - we're all in the same boat and more EVs sold can only be good. We should all root for everybody, that make an effort, to get us off of fossil fuels, whether that's Tesla, Nissan, Renault, Kia, VW, BMW or GM.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlike in Europe, where waiting around for the government to install chargers will work, for the US the chargers largely have to be private installations. The government has been very slow in pushing for DC chargers, esp. ones for long distance (instead of local city use). Even California (the most aggressive in terms of pushing EVs) has been very slow in installing DC chargers.

You're right. Just in last few months of 2015, our country has covered the whole highway network with CCS&CHADEMO&type2(43kW) charging stations as an European initiative:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Edmond
Apples and oranges. Either you compare official GM and official Tesla communications, or you compare member forums for Tesla and Bolt. I'm not arguing what the reception of the Bolt should be on this forum, but if you want to argue against what some of the members are saying, then you need to show us what Bolt forum users are saying about Tesla.

I don't know how good Bolt is, I don't know how good Model 3 will be, but I think it will be bad for Tesla mission if Bolt is bad.

Here you go: Tesla
Just skimming it, it is largely negative. Lots of focus on reports of supposed bad reliability and degradation, the supercharger fire, etc. Exactly what I expect an "opposing" fan forum to focus on. Some of those GM fans I have interacted with on other EV websites (for example DonC) and the focus is typically negative and reluctance to give Tesla credit for anything.

Of course this is in line with my expectations, so I don't think there is anything "wrong" about it. It's still more civil than the long running car rivalries (like Chevy vs Ford for example).

However, for the corporate message to include backhanded comments is more rare. I think it is unrealistic to expect fans of the receiving side to just ignore it. Even the car journalists reporting on the Bolt event noted the comments against Tesla, much less actual Tesla fans.

Last edited:
I personally find the Bolt to be a very compelling vehicle. If I didn't know that Tesla was coming out with the Model 3, I'd be all over the Bolt. I've actually been fantasizing about buying a fully loaded Bolt instead of a Model 3, but as others have said, the Supercharger network is an enormous benefit of Tesla ownership that I think makes the Bolt irrelevant.

It's a trend nowadays to quickly label someone who believes differently as a 'hater' or a 'troll'. Calling a couple of sentences in a long speech "All they can do is try to attack Tesla" is what I call overreacting. I am not a Tesla hater, I just want more EVs on the road. I've read about Tesla since just before they unveiled the Roadster prototype. Back then I was watching news about Commuter Cars' Tango. It was/is a good effort but the Roadster looked less weird. When the Roadster was built and selling I don't recall many Tesla fans saying “wait, wait, don't buy a Roadster, wait a few years to buy a Model S". Or when the Model S was built and selling to "wait a few more years to buy a Model X”. Or when the Model X was built and selling to “wait even a few more years to buy a Model 3”. I sat in a Model S prototype and knew it was not the kind of car I wanted, therefore I did not buy it. For what I want a Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, V.W. Golf EV, Toyota RAV4 EV or a Kia Soul EV fit ME much better. Tesla aren't the only EVs getting better. The road's big enough to welcome all of them.

As I look at the Chevrolet Bolt videos coming out of CES, I am impressed with the "L" setting that allows for a Tesla like drive experience in regard to regenerative braking. GM took it one step further to bring the car to a stop quicker on a level surface, that looks impressive.

As the years go by, there is less time to wait while on the road. The LA to Vegas one day adventure to CES on it's third day was done by gas SUV this time, the first time in four years. It was a pleasure to only fill-up once in Vegas just before the return drive. Using the Escalade saved hours of time, and that is money well spent. BEV for local and leisurely paced road trips is perfect. ICE for the business drives where time is of the essence. Just my thoughts for today and those ideas will change as the vehicles become more autonomous.