Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing CPO is tough. Actual pics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Budget is mid about 55-60k
Open to most colors other than brown and green.

I am a performance guy so think the P is the best option.

Found a 2014 fully fully loaded P85 for 60k plus transport but, over 40k miles.

And found a few 2013 P85s from 55-60k about the same options with less miles.

And did find a 2013 p85+ all black for 57k with less miles than the p85 2014 for more cash.

I wish I could see the condition of the cars (actual pics) prior to putting 1000 down.

Items we like
TECH
Pana
Has to be blk interior prefer nappa
Don't Care about wheel size, sound system, or air ride.
Alcantara roof is a plus

I understand that 13 models came with extended leather vs 14 it was an options unless I am wrong??

And was told the later year 14s are much better fit and finish as well as Tesla worked out a lot of the on going issues...not sure if true or not.

My CPO looked brand new when I picked it up, and I believe that is typical. With the new vehicle warranty you receive, you really can't go wrong. My Model S has been flawless after 7 months of ownership. Nothing to return to the service center for. Tesla does a great job of prepping CPO's before delivery.

Reactions: Indpowr
Budget is mid about 55-60k

I understand that 13 models came with extended leather vs 14 it was an options unless I am wrong??

And was told the later year 14s are much better fit and finish as well as Tesla worked out a lot of the on going issues...not sure if true or not.
And Oct'14 onwards all have AP1 hardware - if you care.
If you contact your nearest Tesla store they'l put you in touch with your 'local' CPO representation (Chicago for Denver! so might not be that local). Once you have contact details they can get you in touch with a CPO rep where ever the car is who will take pictures for you. You risk someone else snapping it up before you are happy - and of course are asking someone with a cellphone and limited photographic skills.
As you will see from threads in here Thomas' experience is not always what the CPO experience is - but for the most part it is very good. I would not expect a car with 40K to be 'like new'.
Paint is very subject to damage, but they will fix stuff which is through the paint. Interior is what I'd be worrying about (as you are) with a higher mileage vehicle - again get pictures.

I put a deposit down on my CPO with no actual photos. You can ask for them, but if you are bargain hunting, the cheap cars do get snatched up fast.

My 2013 P85 with 40k miles was in VERY good shape. It turned out to have a full wrap, of which Tesla only removed the hood portion (to fix a frunk dent). My leather was worn, but clean and still in very good shape (no stains or cracks). The car was detailed and they did provide me the inspection sheet for the work that was done.

It is a process that requires a level of faith. My only advice is to not make your final payment until you see the finished car so you have some leverage for "due bill" items. Also, be prepared to walk away on delivery day. Overall I think Tesla does a good job, but there have been folks here with issues.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I was happy with my experience. It might be hard to get pictures (it feels like it's not an expected part of the process, so it relies on your Tesla contact doing extra work to get you pictures), but it might be possible to sneak a peek at it before pick up day. My wife was able to take a peek at ours before detailing, because it was on the lot and the service guys were friendly (we did stalk the service center a bit). That's not a guaranteed thing either, though.

I wouldn't expect a perfect car, but it should be in very good shape. We had a couple of minor issues on ours, but I didn't think much of it. The fixable stuff got fixed and the few minor blemishes (a scuff on the headliner, a tiny chip out of the wood trim on the center console) were consistent with a used car of it's age.

I am making my wife trade in ahead of time a 2015 C300 she bought CPO with only 6k miles fully loaded. And i cant get back if its not what is expected. So, this whole process scares me. LOL

I had to do a similar thing. Sold my old car myself prior to getting my S. This was the worst part of buying a Tesla for me. Not as easy as just doing a trade in, as Tesla is not in the used car business (other than maybe Teslas), so their trade in values are generally reported as being low, sometimes unacceptably so.

Tesla trade in is below wholesale auction

Tesla trade was 25k
Local Benz buy back 27.5k
USAA sell my car was 29k
Auction is 26-30k most have double my miles and not as loaded

Don't care about AP. found a great deal on a 15 AP1 MS70 only 16k miles for 57k.... but really want an P85

Take the plunge. It's only money. I wouldn't buy one without autopilot, I'd even pass a P model to get autopilot. My 70 is still faster than anything I've seen on road...except another Tesla, and we're too busy waving at each other to race

Thanks for the input, only money yes but we are drivers. don't take to many long trips and AP1 yout have to touch the wheel every few secs anyhow. I had a 70 for a week with AP1. it is cool though. Plus your still responsible if anything happens so I like to be in control. lol

I don't race but like nicer interiors and power. 2 of my cars are 500hp and 700hp and both fully modded leather interiors so like to play some.

I already planned to do unplugged body panels and few other things. Nothing to crazy as its a DD for the wife.

As few other suggested, contact Tesla SA for photos, request that you want close up shots for leather seats to check wear and tear.
If you find a CPO with ridicules price, take the plunge before someone took it. It happened at end of last year.
hard to say what's a great price as the 14 is a "better" year per the CPO guys as far as for and finish and reliability.

Both I am considering are service loaners so hard to get pics.

The preparation and delivery of a CPO can vary greatly based upon the location and how busy they are. When I picked up my CPO vehicle, I spent a considerable amount of time inspecting every inch of the car. I had an extensive list of items that I wanted addressed. I was prepared to walk from the car if all items were not corrected. Tesla agreed with everything I noted and my local center did an excellent job fixing everything. You should also ask them to charge the battery to 90% to get a read on the condition of the battery.

• Informative
The preparation and delivery of a CPO can vary greatly based upon the location and how busy they are. When I picked up my CPO vehicle, I spent a considerable amount of time inspecting every inch of the car. I had an extensive list of items that I wanted addressed. I was prepared to walk from the car if all items were not corrected. Tesla agreed with everything I noted and my local center did an excellent job fixing everything. You should also ask them to charge the battery to 90% to get a read on the condition of the battery.
I'm curious, do you mind posting your list?

We are in the process of moving and our files are packed, but here is what I remember:
- alignment was significantly out of spec. I made them show me the report from the prep
- the edges of the hood were not aligned properly with the fenders. This was a deal breaker for me, but they agreed to fix. Car was in the shop for weeks and the hood was repainted after they were done. Had to replace the clear bra.
- the chrome defusser in the back of the car was cracked
- the black plastic portion of the front bumper was damaged
- the carbon fiber spoiler had a large scrape across the top of it
- one of the interior door lights did not come on
All of these items were obvious and should have been corrected before I picked up the car. Kudo's to the Van Nuys center. They took care of everything and for my troubles, put a clear bra on front bumper.

We are in the process of moving and our files are packed, but here is what I remember:
- alignment was significantly out of spec. I made them show me the report from the prep
- the edges of the hood were not aligned properly with the fenders. This was a deal breaker for me, but they agreed to fix. Car was in the shop for weeks and the hood was repainted after they were done. Had to replace the clear bra.
- the chrome defusser in the back of the car was cracked
- the black plastic portion of the front bumper was damaged
- the carbon fiber spoiler had a large scrape across the top of it
- one of the interior door lights did not come on
All of these items were obvious and should have been corrected before I picked up the car. Kudo's to the Van Nuys center. They took care of everything and for my troubles, put a clear bra on front bumper.
thanks for the quick reply!

How do you tell by looking online if a 2014 model was after OCT?
You cannot, VIN is not a reliable route - ask the the Tesla rep, they'll happily tell you. That said I have been told that all CPOs which have the hardware have it enabled for CPO sale even if the original owner did not pay for AP. So you should be able to see it in the description on the Tesla site - or indeed ev-cpo.com which will have much more detail than the Tesla site (options). Well worth the money if you are looking for a very specific config.

Reactions: bharned3