Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question...I received grant back in June ordered Tesla 4 days ago. I have tried to contact local branch regarding grant and he says they pay after. I am trying to find out who I can speak with before I need to go pickup. They say delivery is Sept 25-30. I am trading in and have small loan. I hope cash down can include grant.

Quick question...I received grant back in June ordered Tesla 4 days ago. I have tried to contact local branch regarding grant and he says they pay after. I am trying to find out who I can speak with before I need to go pickup. They say delivery is Sept 25-30. I am trading in and have small loan. I hope cash down can include grant.

If you don't have a designated Tesla service advisor, I'd try contacting my local tesla store.

Just an update and a reply from the rep... (I applied on 8/28 at the same time I ordered my Y)

emailed this morning for an update and here is the response and their current application approval timeline...

"After quick review – it appears we have all income verification documents that we require. We are suffering a backlog due to the health situation and related factors. We are currently wrapping up applications received in July and will be working on August soon. Your application was received on 8/28 so I just wanted to give you an idea of when you might hear back."

Thank you,

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and c4Lvin
Just an update and a reply from the rep... (I applied on 8/28 at the same time I ordered my Y)

emailed this morning for an update and here is the response and their current application approval timeline...

"After quick review – it appears we have all income verification documents that we require. We are suffering a backlog due to the health situation and related factors. We are currently wrapping up applications received in July and will be working on August soon. Your application was received on 8/28 so I just wanted to give you an idea of when you might hear back."

Thank you,

dang! I submitted mine on 8/23 and was hoping to hear soon. Oh well, I was going to defer delivery till December regardless.

Thank you I will again. He had no idea about it still waiting for answer(he is finding out) 2 days now.
Call Santana Row Tesla - I am monterey county and that's the office I have dealt with for both purchases of my Tesla's. One with CVAP.

Ask for sales - Give them your RN# and ask them to add the CVAP to the acct. Tell them it should show up as an EV incentive. You will need to email them the packet you received via email. You need to fill it out and circle the correct items on said paperwork. Look back through the thread here and you will see how it shows up in your tesla acct. It will a be deduction to your down payment.

You need your loan confirmed FYI under 12% so they can confirm the grant.

Ok I just thought of a convoluted idea. Hear me out, what if we go ahead and take delivery of the Model Y (w/out CVAP grant) then when or if the grant comes it buy a used Nissan Leaf for like 5-6k from a dealer that participates with the CVAP grant and then sell it and pay down the loan on the Y. I know it’s an over complicated plan lol.

Ok I just thought of a convoluted idea. Hear me out, what if we go ahead and take delivery of the Model Y (w/out CVAP grant) then when or if the grant comes it buy a used Nissan Leaf for like 5-6k from a dealer that participates with the CVAP grant and then sell it and pay down the loan on the Y. I know it’s an over complicated plan lol.
You are supposed to keep your car for 30 months

Reactions: c4Lvin
Call Santana Row Tesla - I am monterey county and that's the office I have dealt with for both purchases of my Tesla's. One with CVAP.

Ask for sales - Give them your RN# and ask them to add the CVAP to the acct. Tell them it should show up as an EV incentive. You will need to email them the packet you received via email. You need to fill it out and circle the correct items on said paperwork. Look back through the thread here and you will see how it shows up in your tesla acct. It will a be deduction to your down payment.

You need your loan confirmed FYI under 12% so they can confirm the grant.
Thanks. The local office is still not getting back to me 3-4 days later. I will contact Santana row. Everything is done except this and car.

Since there are some people in San Diego on this thread, here's a reminder of the SDG&E "Limited EV Purchase Credit" - Limited EV Purchase Credit | San Diego Gas & Electric

I thought I did not qualify due to having received the 2019 SDG&E Electric Vehicle Climate Credit, however that wasn't for the Model Y :)

You purchased or leased an EV between March 1, 2019, and now. Your purchase/lease does not qualify if you already received the 2019 SDG&E Electric Vehicle Climate Credit for that vehicle.

Thank you,
Thanks for this info, this is the closes to an estimate I’ve seen anyone post.

Reactions: Solhan
I received the following response when I sent in an inquiry, given the online banner says is counting down from 8 days.

Hello,

Your application is in line to be reviewed. Please disregard the count down as your application will not expire until you are given an opportunity to be reviewed which can take up to 90 days.

Just saw this. Question on trying to qualify....

Living with my Wife/Daughter/InLaw.. I'm the only one currently working. Wife and MIL are currently not working due to Covid. House is not under my name.

Do I put 1 since I'm the only working? Do I put 3 for just Me/Wife/Daughter? Or 4 including my MIL?...

I would not qualify for household of 1 or 2... But will qualify for either 3 or 4.

Also does unemployment count under household gross income?

Last edited:
Just saw this. Question on trying to qualify....

Living with my Wife/Daughter/InLaw.. I'm the only one currently working. Wife and MIL are currently not working due to Covid. House is not under my name.

Do I put 1 since I'm the only working? Do I put 3 for just Me/Wife/Daughter? Or 4 including my MIL?...

I would not qualify for household of 1 or 2... But will qualify for either 3 or 4.

Also does unemployment count under household gross income?

Eligibility is based on your 2019 taxes, not 2020 income. Did you include your wife, daughter, and MIL in your taxes? Were any of them working? If so, was the household’s combined income more than the threshold?

Eligibility is based on your 2019 taxes, not 2020 income. Did you include your wife, daughter, and MIL in your taxes? Were any of them working? If so, was the household’s combined income more than the threshold?

My wife and I filed taxes jointly with my wife claiming my daughter. I guess I will not qualify since she was working in 2019 and puts me above 3 household treshold.

I thought you can apply due to current situation.