Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another feedback loop - Previous assessments have not taken carbon released by soil into account.

Earth warming to climate tipping point, warns study - BBC News

He observed: "The carbon is trapped in the soil because it is taken from the atmosphere by plant material through photosynthesis. Particularly in cold places, it get stored in the soil for a very long time, and this minimises the atmospheric concentrations.

Dr Crowther said the increased activity by the organisms would mean that they would consume greater volumes of the carbon in the soil, and this would be released as carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas.

After four years, SaskWind is calling it quits — and expressing frustration with how it was treated by the provincial government.

The company had proposed a community-owned wind project for Swift Current.

But it said the provincial government and its power company, SaskPower, never did seem all that interested in the idea.

"We've found essentially the door has been closed every step of the way," said James Glennie, president of SaskWind.

Glennie says the final straw for him came Friday, when the federal government decided to pass on an environmental assessment of a $700 million natural-gas fired power plant in Swift Current.

Glennie says not only would wind have avoided the greenhouse gas emissions of natural gas, but it would have created more jobs as well.

<snip>
Full article at:
SaskWind calls it quits, cites lack of support from provincial government

Breitbart's readership will, in part, ignore science because science does not support their
beliefs so they feel obliged to ignore science:
The dark rigidity of fundamentalist rural America: a view from the inside

I don't think that piece reflects how the middle broke for Trump, especially the Christian racist thing. A month after the election, it's starting to look like Democrats are losing their lease, chasing that tail. The part I agree about is there's a certain education level you have to work with, if you want to win. It's not getting any higher. It can cut both ways, but not for detailed, long-dated topics like climate change. The subject just gets pushed down. Federally, it depends on the coat tails of something else, like "the 99%".

Alarmed that decades of crucial climate measurements could vanish under a hostile Trump administration, scientists have begun a feverish attempt to copy reams of government data onto independent servers in hopes of safeguarding it from any political interference.

The efforts include a “guerrilla archiving” event in Toronto, where experts will copy irreplaceable public data, meetings at the University of Pennsylvania focused on how to download as much federal data as possible in the coming weeks, and a collaboration of scientists and database experts who are compiling an online site to harbor scientific information.

“Something that seemed a little paranoid to me before all of a sudden seems potentially realistic, or at least something you’d want to hedge against,” said Nick Santos, an environmental researcher at the University of California at Davis, who over the weekend began copying government climate data onto a nongovernment server, where it will remain available to the public. “Doing this can only be a good thing. Hopefully they leave everything in place. But if not, we’re planning for that.”

In recent weeks, President-elect Donald Trump has nominated a growing list of Cabinet members who have questioned the overwhelming scientific consensus around global warming. His transition team at the Department of Energy has asked agency officials for names of employees and contractors who have participated in international climate talks and worked on the scientific basis for Obama administration-era regulations of carbon emissions. One Trump adviser suggested that NASA no longer should conduct climate research and instead should focus on space exploration.

Those moves have stoked fears among the scientific community that Trump, who has called the notion of man-made climate change “a hoax” and vowed to reverse environmental policies put in place by President Obama, could try to alter or dismantle parts of the federal government’s repository of data on everything from rising sea levels to the number of wildfires in the country.

<snip>
Full article at:
Scientists are frantically copying U.S. climate data, fearing it might vanish under Trump

From August 14, 1912

IMG_2063.JPG

It's legit.

1912 Newspaper Article Anticipates Anthropogenic Global Warming

Actually it's not a matter of a game in my opinion.
CO2 produced by ICE cars is responsible of temperature increasing in the world. As temperature increases ice at the North pole melts. As ice melts the salt concentration in the sea decreases. As the salt concentration in the sea decreases the current of the Channel decreases. When the current of the Channel will stop the North side of the Earth will get frozen.
Have you seen the film "The day after tomorrow"?
This film shows what will happen when the current of the Channel will stop. So driving pure electric is useful to save the Earth.

Do you still want to game?

I believe that the the culture it's the true problem. The knowledge for all, it's the truly challenge.
We cannot miss a shot. We can't fail again.

Protect the north pole ice (and all perennials glaciers) It's an important target of all people in the world. In daily journey we need to think about the human footprinter.

When we design a car (but not only cars), we must project using the reverse engineering. We must "design for disassembly".

We can't law without know the "life Cycle Assessment" and the productors must invent the way and the technology to do better not only the cars, but the better for earth.

We'd dramatically reduce the human footprint on Earth thinking another way to living our lifes. We are all - in - one with the earth.
Reduce the CO2 and the other greenhouse gas it's only the first step.

We know the limits of our economic "culture" since the 1972 (Donella H. Meadows, Dennis L. Meadows; Jørgen Randers; William W. Behrens III, "The Limits to Growth"). I'm '75 but when i read this book when I was 15 years old.
In the schools we must study this book like a big letterature "must to read".

We learn about how to live in symbiosis with the others organisms of earth or we kill ourselves.

We must move from a society based on the economy at any costs, to a society based on ecology.

Politics and politician are so close the economic powers, i don't know if they are corrupt or stupid but it is certain that they are ignorant.

We using and abusing and raping ourselve, because we are the earth, we are one.

IMHO

PS sorry for my scholar english :-|

2016-12-24_16-56-55.png

Well, no apologies for your English but your mathematics is a bit baffling:
since the 1972 (Donella H. Meadows, Dennis L. Meadows; Jørgen Randers; William W. Behrens III, "The Limits to Growth"). I'm '75 but when i read this book when I was 15 years old.
because for most of the rest of us it would have been challenging to read it in 1956.....

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak
Reactions: ggies07