Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNN Money review of the Model 3 - not very flattering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or those here into photography, you know that cameras with all-menu control where you set everything in menus & lists and have no buttons are indeed annoying and they make no sense - other than in very basic, inexpensive cameras.

I love my Fuji XT-2 because I can adjust every meaningful setting (shutter speed, F-stop, film speed) without taking my eye from the viewfinder. It’s an enthusiasts camera, and it’s awedome. I also love my iPhone’s camera because it’s easy, and sometimes I don’t want to think too hard when taking a picture.

I love my Model 3 because I never have to think too hard when driving it. Lights come on when it’s dark, wipers wipe when it rains, the gps guides me where I need to go, and the accelerator does EXACTLY what I want to do when I want it! All the silly adjustments on the touch screen are rarely fiddled with.

Could it be better? Of course! But it’s pretty dang amazing right now. When we got the X a few years back it went 0-60 in 6.0 seconds , making it the slowest car tesla sold. A few months back they “uncorked” it to make it go 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. Show me one legacy auto maker that puts even an iota of effort into making their existing cars better! I have zero doubt that my few minor issues with the car will be fixed soon. Even if they never were fixed, though, I’d hardly notice with the big grin on my face in the car!

We have had operational possession of the car for a bit over a week. We showed the car both Saturday and Sunday here in sunny San Diego, and the impressions all seemed good. We even had a 2018 LEAF with "ProPilot". I let the Nissan employee drive the Model 3, and she also drove the Chevy Bolt EV.

Lots of smiles.

I'm not exactly sure where I stand with all the screen functions over the Model S methods. But, I shouldn't have to adapt... it should just be easier.

For starters, I want all the obvious things that are missing... get the charge timer going, add auto high beam headlights, fix the issue showing the charge port door open all the time, fix the summon mode, get the CHAdeMO adaptor working, make the right button actually perform, etc.

Why does the glove box open in valet mode? I have no idea. Stuff like that.

• Love
Reactions: Futuresystem
I love my Fuji XT-2 because I can adjust every meaningful setting (shutter speed, F-stop, film speed) without taking my eye from the viewfinder. It’s an enthusiasts camera, and it’s awedome. I also love my iPhone’s camera because it’s easy, and sometimes I don’t want to think too hard when taking a picture.

I love my Model 3 because I never have to think too hard when driving it. Lights come on when it’s dark, wipers wipe when it rains, the gps guides me where I need to go, and the accelerator does EXACTLY what I want to do when I want it! All the silly adjustments on the touch screen are rarely fiddled with.

Could it be better? Of course! But it’s pretty dang amazing right now. When we got the X a few years back it went 0-60 in 6.0 seconds , making it the slowest car tesla sold. A few months back they “uncorked” it to make it go 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. Show me one legacy auto maker that puts even an iota of effort into making their existing cars better! I have zero doubt that my few minor issues with the car will be fixed soon. Even if they never were fixed, though, I’d hardly notice with the big grin on my face in the car!
MX owner, early M3 owner... let me guess, you also own TSLA stock? I would love to see the percentage of current Tesla vehicle owners that also own the stock. no wonder Tesla gets ravingly positive consumer survey results... what company in the world exists where something in the range of 50% of its customers are shareholders?

MX owner, early M3 owner... let me guess, you also own TSLA stock? I would love to see the percentage of current Tesla vehicle owners that also own the stock. no wonder Tesla gets ravingly positive consumer survey results... what company in the world exists where something in the range of 50% of its customers are shareholders?

I bought 40 shares at the ipo in 2010 for $18/each, and sold a few months later to help buy my now-wife’s engagement ring. It cost me a bit more to buy back in a few years later!

I have stock in most companies I believe in! Driving a tesla gives you unique insight into the company, unlike armchair analysts and short-term reviewers. If the car actually sucked, there are plenty of other places I’d rather put my money than trying to pump a lame-duck automotive stock! Wouldn’t you trust the reviews of someone who actually watched a Disney movie, as opposed to someone who just watched the preview trailers? You bring up a good point though, as I would be curious to know whether most driver/stockholders purchased shares before or after they started driving a tesla.

Look, I know you're the short here with nothing positive to say. But, I'll bite. What company exists today that you think 50% of it's customers would want to be shareholders? I bet there aren't many.

I assume you're talking direct shareholders, because mutual funds would throw that all out of whack.

Reactions: EinSV
The last I heard, they wanted to promote innovation instead and issued guidelines only also asking states to not override and talk to them first if any concerns...Department Of Transportation Rolls Out New Guidelines For Self-Driving Cars
I'd rate the chances of the technology and the law coming together to allow FSD on all public roads during a current Model 3 ownership years to be pretty far up in the miraculous band.
Robin

Why such pessimism? From the below it seems they are moving at a decent pace: Tesla recreated Autopilot's version of "Mobileye" in 6 months
Elon Musk said:
Musk claims that engineers at Tesla were able to recreate the technology powering the Mobileye chip and its respective responsibilities for the car in just six months time. The rebuilding from the ground up also explains the incremental roll out of Autopilot 2.0 software on Model S and Model X vehicles equipped with self-driving hardware. Musk’s Autopilot team developed the new technology in a fraction of the time that Mobileye had spent millions on, and years to create.

If there are not many legal obstacles and the current situation looks like there will not be, we may have something in 3 years. Ok maybe 5 at most, but the reality is that competitors are getting close too, so Tesla will have to throw more resources at this rather sooner than later.

Last edited:

Mostly agree and I think I'm going to do just fine with it, as will most - altho it's somewhat risky I think. What if lots of people "hate" the Model 3 because of its radical interior and don't buy it? It has to be polarizing, it's just a matter how many are repulsed; so who knows.

But anyway my problem is it's objectively not ideal. The ideal is very strategic use of a screen, physical controls and carefully placed indicators. (Which isn't to say most traditional cars aren't currently badly done - they are, and often very much so. As usual, the problem is that humans can adapt to almost anything. This then masks all manner of idiotic design ideas.) What should be self apparent, is that there's no way a simple touchscreen to the side of the driver would be the best way to do it - far from it IMO.

this all stems from unrealistic and pie in the sky expectations.

One person's "pie in the sky" is another person's blue-sky scenario. I actually think we'll get to FSD sooner rather than later. Not one single vender is going to show their hand (intellectual property) at ALL until the legislative barriers are down. Until then, we'll only see marketing that sustains FUD.

Just my .02 spacebucks...

I have now read the thread. Few people seem to be getting to the real point, the way I see it anyway.

From day one Tesla has appealed to techies and greenies, but really techies who like and can afford high performance. Even S60's are high performance.
If people aren't happy smartphone users they'll hate driving a Tesla precisely for the same reasons that almost all owners like it. The cars are the smartphones of motor vehicles.

I have a couple of friends who like to ride in my Tesla but cannot understand anything about the controls; more to the point they do not want to. Greenies with that perspective could and should by Bolt or Ionic.

The Model 3 clearly is the iPhone X of cars. I love it. Everyone who is turned off by Face ID and voice controls will not enjoy the Model 3.

The Model 3 will be a massive success for years simply because it was designed for people who are well-educated in their prime accumulation years. Their are a handful of Geezers who love this stuff too, like me, but the car was NOT designed for geezers. Nobody who is uncomfortable with the evolving world of personal tech should be buying a Model 3 or any other Tesla.

Bluntly Tesla does not understand "generic". Hopefully it will never learn.

There is no shortage of buyers and investors who prefer the future to the past. Personally I'm happy that some companies are designing BEV's that look and act just like their ICE stablemates. We will not change the world with only Early Adopters!

Why such pessimism? From the below it seems they are moving at a decent pace: Tesla recreated Autopilot's version of "Mobileye" in 6 months

If there are not many legal obstacles and the current situation looks like there will not be, we may have something in 3 years. Ok maybe 5 at most, but the reality is that competitors are getting close too, so Tesla will have to throw more resources at this rather sooner than later.
Not sure I'd called it pessimism so much as my take on the state of the technology and the state of the legal environment.
Technology: it's pretty easy to design systems that will work in very specified and controlled environments. I could see a "freeway only" system coming into focus fairly quickly. After all, you can keep tigers in a cage fairly safely. Nobody wants them trotting down the street, though. In the same way, releasing a limited FSD system into the wild will just end up killing people. Which, until all cars have the ability to communicate with one another and settle conflicts quickly and automatically, will be the end of "FSD in the wild." If the manufacturers don't pull the plug, the insurers and the lawyers will.
Legal: There are many places where reasonable people can disagree about FSD being safe and efficient. Unfortunately, reasonable people don't have their hands on the helm much these days, and disagreements quickly devolve to the lowest common denominator, which is very low and not particularly conducive to writing good law. In the absence of good law, I think no law is the likelier outcome.
Eventually, as the tech improves, as old "mute" cars become a smaller and smaller minority, and as the law catches up, FSD in some form will happen. Meanwhile, buying FSD gear today with the expectation of it being used whenever and wherever is, to my way of thinking, money down the drain.
Robin

Like all Model 3 reviews he doesn't fault the propulsion, he picks something he doesn't like and lists it as the make or break reason to love or hate the car.

The reviewer doesn't like tech and seems to prefer his world the way it is.

Lots of folks like that around. I found the review to be fair based on the reviewers interests. He clearly doesnt want what the Model 3 is selling.

Not surprising. When you eliminate basic switches and controls and even an instrument cluster in the interest of saving a few bucks, you're giving up usability of the car. Less is clearly not always more.

If the manufacturers don't pull the plug, the insurers and the lawyers will.
That is why I do not believe that it will be a Wild West out there. The guidelines specify what FSD should be able to do and therefore I do not believe manufacturers will be cutting corners to state prematurely that they have a FSD. Also, b/c of the risk of lawsuits etc. any sane manufacturer will do years of testing prior to making FSD available to the general public. Tesla (and likely others) may collect the data from all the current drivers on the road(from EAP) - that should give them much more testing opportunity/total hours compared to only a few internal testers, which should improve ETA.

Meanwhile, buying FSD gear today with the expectation of it being used whenever and wherever is, to my way of thinking, money down the drain.
I'm not planning to buy it now, but hope that the option will come up in 3-5 years.

Who said legislative barriers are up? I only saw guidelines Department Of Transportation Rolls Out New Guidelines For Self-Driving Cars

That's last years news! :p For one, the U.S. Secretary of Transportation, in yesterday's news: US transport secretary to unveil revised self-driving car guidelines; will take down legal barriers - Firstpost

Even then, these only the guidelines that they're revising. I'm holding my breath until all the automakers and insurance companies are done lobbying in state and federal congresses.

I have now read the thread. Few people seem to be getting to the real point, the way I see it anyway.

From day one Tesla has appealed to techies and greenies, but really techies who like and can afford high performance. Even S60's are high performance.
If people aren't happy smartphone users they'll hate driving a Tesla precisely for the same reasons that almost all owners like it. The cars are the smartphones of motor vehicles.

I have a couple of friends who like to ride in my Tesla but cannot understand anything about the controls; more to the point they do not want to. Greenies with that perspective could and should by Bolt or Ionic.

The Model 3 clearly is the iPhone X of cars. I love it. Everyone who is turned off by Face ID and voice controls will not enjoy the Model 3.

The Model 3 will be a massive success for years simply because it was designed for people who are well-educated in their prime accumulation years. Their are a handful of Geezers who love this stuff too, like me, but the car was NOT designed for geezers. Nobody who is uncomfortable with the evolving world of personal tech should be buying a Model 3 or any other Tesla.

Bluntly Tesla does not understand "generic". Hopefully it will never learn.

There is no shortage of buyers and investors who prefer the future to the past. Personally I'm happy that some companies are designing BEV's that look and act just like their ICE stablemates. We will not change the world with only Early Adopters!

Religion should never be a component of control design except in churches.

The ability to control all functions of a car without taking your eyes off the road is the ultimate user interface (ex - F1).

Touch screens are old and inexpensive technology. I've thrown away enough of them to lend some credence to that. Heck they put it everywhere since it saves money. Yeah, it USED to be expensive state-of-the art tech, it was in notebook+tablets before either the iPhone or iPad were born. I just went into the Junk Computer Room, and found the oldest I could in 60 seconds. It's a 2007 Touch Screen HP Tablet+Notebook. I can't remember the price but IIRC, twice as expensive as normal notebooks of the same specs. I doubt that was the first of it's kind. But that was a decade ago and things change.

There is nothing wrong with Tesla using an All-In-One touch-screen to control the car functions to save money. But it's not the best possible user interface, it's just cheaper to produce. Representing it as superior next-generation technology is ignoring both the history of the touch screen, and the current implementations of it in modern cars.