Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNN Money review of the Model 3 - not very flattering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seemed similar to the review of the iphoneX that I received from my 80 year old mother... Some folks just aren't ready - unfortunately they assume all are that their level
Exactly what I was thinking. And how many people own smartphones? Using a screen to do things seems rather mainstream to me. This is just the first all-in implementation in a car. And it surely won't be the last.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
For me, the reviews of people who own one take precedent over those who just test drive one for an article. It took me some time and coaching to get me away from my blackberry -- and that physical keyboard. Trying an iPhone didn't immediately register with me how much more advanced, and better to use, it really was. In fact, I thought the opposite. So the blackberry / iphone comment put this in the best perspective for me. Unless the reviewer tells me has owned a Model 3 for longer than just the review period, it doesn't mean much to me.

Of course, the only review that will matter is my own (for me anyway) -- which I can't wait to find out.

I'd say that was a very fair review. Poking at the screen just so you can adjust the cruise speed or tweak a side mirror is annoying and distracting. (It is even more annoying that I can't set the cruise speed to less than the speed limit with the stalk, but that is a different issue)

I hope that eventually a few things will get mapped to the right scroll wheel.
Musk created the car of the future now. All these knobs that people feel nostalgic about will be GONE anyway as soon as FSD is here. We will lose the steering wheel as well sooner or later, so what do you need knobs for? Future generations will be used to THIS layout, where you poke around the screen just to change music or browse the web. This will only accelerate the inevitable transition.

Musk created the car of the future now. All these knobs that people feel nostalgic about will be GONE anyway as soon as FSD is here. We will lose the steering wheel as well sooner or later, so what do you need knobs for? Future generations will be used to THIS layout, where you poke around the screen just to change music or browse the web. This will only accelerate the inevitable transition.

Musk created the car of the future now. All these knobs that people feel nostalgic about will be GONE anyway as soon as FSD is here.

Did Elon provide you a date for when Full Self Driving (FSD) will be available for use?

2018?
2019?
2020?
2021?

Super short review, but seems quite reasonable. Its expensive, and putting all the controls on the touchscreen is idiotic. Touchscreens are great for the flexibility that they afford. But for common functions I want real buttons. The S does a pretty good job with this. The 3 goes way to far away from buttons.

4-5 years from now all of those old buttons you love so much will look incredibly outdated.

I'd say that was a very fair review. Poking at the screen just so you can adjust the cruise speed or tweak a side mirror is annoying and distracting. (It is even more annoying that I can't set the cruise speed to less than the speed limit with the stalk, but that is a different issue)

I hope that eventually a few things will get mapped to the right scroll wheel.

I am guessing you don't use cruise control much.
It is very distracting in 20 mph traffic to turn on TACC and have it set to 70 mph, then have to push the tiny button on the screen several times to reduce the max cruise speed to a more reasonable differential with the traffic flow (so the car doesn't try to speed up to 70 when a brief gap opens up)

Adjusting cruise speed will be unnecessary as speed limit recognition is implemented and autopilot becomes increasingly powerful. Time to quit thinking of the old way of doing things.

The interior is designed for FSD which is not available yet so that's why the car is not that great to me. I don't care if the review is good or bad or if I like the car or not because this is the ONLY car I can buy. Living in LA far from work means a very long commute even in carpool lanes. $56,000 is a lot of money for a commuter car but nothing outside of Tesla offers something like AP. Most have adaptive cruise but can't keep the car centered.

I'm basically forced to buy a Model 3 because I need:
  • Autopilot
  • Carpool stickers
  • Comfortable seats

What I really want:
  • Buy an used GTR (2012+)
  • Buy an used Audi R8 (2008/2009 Manual Transmission)
  • Lease a Porsche 718 Cayman S (Porsche depreciate a ton)
  • Lease a Lexus LC500 or buy used in 2020
  • Lease a NSX (currently $30k off but can get much more)
  • Maybe as a last option buy an used P85D with AP1 around high &60s and low $70k
Until I drive a Model 3 I won't be placing my order until the $7,500 credit is at risk. Maybe pulling the trigger around June when more options are available like white interior. Anyway, my next car will be a Tesla because only Tesla can hit all 3 of my needs. I just hope FSD comes out before the Carpool sticker expires.

Consider a CPO AP1 car. Perfect for your needs and for getting through the next few years until FSD exists. Coming in from 3-year leases now. $48K +/- $5K ain’t bad since they’re warranted to 100K miles and have 45K and sometimes fewer miles.

The key being you can drive the car and probably still get $15K-$20K for it when you’re done.

Plus SCing is included. Cheaper TCO.

Reactions: bhzmark
4-5 years from now all of those old buttons you love so much will look incredibly outdated.

Adjusting cruise speed will be unnecessary as speed limit recognition is implemented and autopilot becomes increasingly powerful. Time to quit thinking of the old way of doing things.

Well that's quite the crystal ball you've got cooking there kbM3.

When do you expect FSD to become legal and available? Two years from now? Five? Ten?
I wonder how long most people hang onto their cars these days?
Robin

The everything on the screen talk reminds me of Apple, specifically Jobs when he remarked how you can control the volume and just about everything else on the screen so the physical buttons weren’t really needed. Ultimately he was mostly right and it’s easy to see that now. However back then it wasn’t and it took a while to convert the blackberry crowd. I think we’re seeing the same thing here with the Model 3 display.

That being said IMO I think in the future updates to the car you’ll see them add one more stalk, specifically for AP because that just works better with a physical thing to use as opposed to tapping on a screen. At least until FSD is legal everywhere and I think that’s a good 10 years off. Also maybe one or two more buttons on the steering wheel. As long as it doesn’t get to much more than that, aesthetically it basically looks the same but it’s more functional.

Just my $.02

Does the system automatically remember each driver's preferences for mirrors? Say, wife and two kids?
It does, but I agree that there are too many functions relegated to the touch screen. Cruise control speed adjustment on the screen is a terrible idea in theory and in practice. No reason they couldn't have added the extra cruise stalk. The mirrors and driver position is arguable since it's generally set and forget. Plus there are so few functions assigned to the scroll wheels now. They should have figured out an intuitive layout for more controls on the few controllers they have on the wheel.

While moving most of the rarely used functions such as mirror and seat adjustment to the touch screen is tolerable, moving TACC and AP functions to screen is a mistake.

AP stalk is the most used physical control after steering-brake-accelerator pedal when driving. I have by reflex action reduced/increased speeds by 5 miles increments using the AP stalk without taking the eye off the road, and cancelling AP without pressing the brake pedal.

So what next? why don't you also move the steering to the touch screen and give an animated wheel that you can steer with your pinky? That would be revolutionary.

And brake pedals too..