Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNN Money review of the Model 3 - not very flattering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like all Model 3 reviews he doesn't fault the propulsion, he picks something he doesn't like and lists it as the make or break reason to love or hate the car.

The reviewer doesn't like tech and seems to prefer his world the way it is.

Lots of folks like that around. I found the review to be fair based on the reviewers interests. He clearly doesnt want what the Model 3 is selling.

Like all Model 3 reviews he doesn't fault the propulsion, he picks something he doesn't like and lists it as the make or break reason to love or hate the car.
That kind of the point of a review. He's not slamming the car, he's providing an opinion based on how the car is being billed to the consumer and his past experiences with Tesla cars. He brings up valid points, I think.

Lots of folks like that around. I found the review to be fair based on the reviewers interests. He clearly doesnt want what the Model 3 is selling.
Agreed. The mental gymnastics required to follow him along the “let's review this $56k one as if it were the $35k version” and “but it's not the best car at $56k” threads make it hard to parse through the negativity. He lost me, and I was trying to follow along objectively.
If the plan was to not have a positive review, we’ll, that was achieved, no matter how long the viewer paid attention.

I'd say that was a very fair review. Poking at the screen just so you can adjust the cruise speed or tweak a side mirror is annoying and distracting. (It is even more annoying that I can't set the cruise speed to less than the speed limit with the stalk, but that is a different issue)

I hope that eventually a few things will get mapped to the right scroll wheel.

The first time anyone drove a car with a manual transmission, they undoubtedly stalled the thing repeatedly. Does that mean the car is annoying? I have a feeling this author would say, "well no, duh, you have to learn how to drive a stick." Well, guess what Peter, maybe you need to learn how to use the touchscreen as well.

He beat the horse dead asking for old fashioned buttons, which obviously misses the entire point, and didn't bother learning the variety of functions the steering wheel buttons provide. In between that and arrogantly assuming that he knows how the general populace would feel about the car, I'm just hopeful he still had enough time left in the day to yell at a few clouds and tell the neighbor kids to get off his lawn.

I guess I must be missing this as well. My left steering wheel button only works the radio functions, and the right one only does voice command without diving into a touchscreen menu. What other functions do they operate?

These and the side mirror and steering wheel adjustments. But, yes, I think Tesla can potentially map more functions to them.

Mine is 4 days old today. Touch screen is not a problem. Mirror tweaking should have been done before you drive, and set to your profile, never to be bothered with again. Since I am not a noise lover, I don't even know where the radio controls are. I hope it runs the music on my thumb drive, but I haven't tried it. I don't do voice commands, either. I suspect those are mostly to run the radio, right?

As to "distraction", it's like the S. There's a screen there that you hardly ever mess with, and other than double checking the map display (always up on my car) to see where the next turn is, I never notice it.

Like most people, the reviewer finds new things difficult. Why in the heck is he a reviewer? He seems to think that all cars must look and drive like a '93 Honda. They need to get a younger reviewer.

As to "distraction", it's like the S. There's a screen there that you hardly ever mess with

I am guessing you don't use cruise control much.
It is very distracting in 20 mph traffic to turn on TACC and have it set to 70 mph, then have to push the tiny button on the screen several times to reduce the max cruise speed to a more reasonable differential with the traffic flow (so the car doesn't try to speed up to 70 when a brief gap opens up)

Mine is 4 days old today. Touch screen is not a problem. Mirror tweaking should have been done before you drive, and set to your profile, never to be bothered with again. Since I am not a noise lover, I don't even know where the radio controls are. I hope it runs the music on my thumb drive, but I haven't tried it. I don't do voice commands, either. I suspect those are mostly to run the radio, right?.
Voice commands are mostly for navigation "Drive to the nearest ..., Drive home, etc." They only work for music if you use streaming music.

I disagree. The reviewer doesn't claim to "not like tech." He clearly doesn't like all the tech crammed into a touchscreen interface. Very different critique.
I love being able to watch streaming movies. I love the tech that allows it. But the specific tech behind Amazon Prime's user interface stinks (when compared to Netflix, it reeks).
The CNN reviewer was making a similar point, I think. Tech good. User interface distracting, annoying, and not for everyone.
Even though I happen to agree with him, I still think the reviewer was very fair.
Robin

Mine is 4 days old today. Touch screen is not a problem. Mirror tweaking should have been done before you drive, and set to your profile, never to be bothered with again. Since I am not a noise lover, I don't even know where the radio controls are. I hope it runs the music on my thumb drive, but I haven't tried it. I don't do voice commands, either. I suspect those are mostly to run the radio, right?

As to "distraction", it's like the S. There's a screen there that you hardly ever mess with, and other than double checking the map display (always up on my car) to see where the next turn is, I never notice it.

Like most people, the reviewer finds new things difficult. Why in the heck is he a reviewer? He seems to think that all cars must look and drive like a '93 Honda. They need to get a younger reviewer.

Or maybe he's as entitled to his opinion about the car as you are.

The interior is designed for FSD which is not available yet so that's why the car is not that great to me. I don't care if the review is good or bad or if I like the car or not because this is the ONLY car I can buy. Living in LA far from work means a very long commute even in carpool lanes. $56,000 is a lot of money for a commuter car but nothing outside of Tesla offers something like AP. Most have adaptive cruise but can't keep the car centered.

I'm basically forced to buy a Model 3 because I need:
  • Autopilot
  • Carpool stickers
  • Comfortable seats

What I really want:
  • Buy an used GTR (2012+)
  • Buy an used Audi R8 (2008/2009 Manual Transmission)
  • Lease a Porsche 718 Cayman S (Porsche depreciate a ton)
  • Lease a Lexus LC500 or buy used in 2020
  • Lease a NSX (currently $30k off but can get much more)
  • Maybe as a last option buy an used P85D with AP1 around high &60s and low $70k
Until I drive a Model 3 I won't be placing my order until the $7,500 credit is at risk. Maybe pulling the trigger around June when more options are available like white interior. Anyway, my next car will be a Tesla because only Tesla can hit all 3 of my needs. I just hope FSD comes out before the Carpool sticker expires.

After two weeks with the 3, I have to say, the screen is much more distracting and iffy to operate - when driving of course - than in the S (that I now have 5 years of experience with). And, it's not really the duration of experience. My main issues:

- Horizontal orientation and no angle towards the driver: it's not easy to move one's right hand around, hunting and pecking. When voice commands inevitably fail for navigation, as an example, when having to enter an address manually, the digits part of the keyboard is way to the bottom right. The vertical orientation, where I can move up and down without "reaching over", and the tilt towards the driver in the S are just the right setup.

- The "cute", mini-button interface: in the S, the buttons and keyboard layout are big and intuitively placed; in the 3, they are small and also relatively clustered together. It's fine for an iPad-app-like usage scenario where one would hold it to operate but, not for an automobile situation.

I'm a (slightly-older) techie and can "live" with the 3's screen and I do think the younger "masses" will take to it easily but, it's definitely not a winner and is not completely road safe.