Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection Experience - Tesla Heathrow (West Drayton)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Collected end September last year on 'mad Saturday'.

We were at West Drayton for 6 hours.

5 hours 52 minutes of that they were keeping us 'sweet' (well, we were incumbents of the sofa) with cookies and coffee (I never actually had one of the former) as they had lost our car so were hunting around for an alternative.

The other 8 minutes was the 'delivery experience'. We were not even allowed to inspect the car due to 'health and safety' and when I got out to check the jack pads and I got spotted the way some of them reacted you would have thought that I was about to steal the car.

A very poor delivery experience topped off by a couple of ********* for staff. Pretty much sums up the whole Tesla experience for us although we have now found where the good staff are hiding so you sometimes get a good experience.

Tesla are their own worst enemy with their feast or famine approach to car delivery.

Reactions: Durzel
Just wanted to add: If I'd had the option for the car to be delivered to my home, I would've opted for that.
Though it's probably logistically more challenging for Tesla, it then really does become a lot more like ordering something from e.g. Amazon, just with a much longer delivery time.
The main problem is that if you have something significantly wrong then you don’t really have the option to refuse delivery. Also if you’re clueless about the car then you really are in the dark.

I was lucky (?) as I had spent quite a bit of time acquainting myself with the videos, and had already had a 1 1/2 hour test drive, so I knew how the cards worked, etc. The guy who dropped my car off didn’t know anything about the car, wouldn’t have been able to answer any questions about it, etc. That wouldn’t be the same for everyone.

That being said a home delivery option for people who are happy to just get on with it could work.

I was at Heathrow/West Drayton on Monday waiting for my cameras to be recalibrated. People are still smiling when they see their car for the first time, smiling when they gingerly drive off, and 5/10 put their foot down for 2 seconds or so as they reach the main road. The cars are shiny and looked great.
I didn't see any coffee but there was water and those little packets of biscuits.

Reactions: MattC
I didn’t have the ‘pleasure’ of buying my MS new from Tesla so don’t have first hand experience* of what goes on as a rule, but one thing does occur to me from what I have read about the experience of others. It seems very unusual in the context of a modern business that no attempt seems to be made to collect or solicit post-sales feedback.

It is almost impossible theses days to buy a packet of biscuits or a bag of nails without being asked for your feedback on the ‘purchase experience’ yet Tesla seems to be exempt from any such concerns. As others have said, without obvious competition there doesn’t seem to be any chance of that position changing any time soon.

*(I do have dreadful experience of buying a Tesla from a premium used car dealer)

I didn’t have the ‘pleasure’ of buying my MS new from Tesla so don’t have first hand experience* of what goes on as a rule, but one thing does occur to me from what I have read about the experience of others. It seems very unusual in the context of a modern business that no attempt seems to be made to collect or solicit post-sales feedback.

It is almost impossible theses days to buy a packet of biscuits or a bag of nails without being asked for your feedback on the ‘purchase experience’ yet Tesla seems to be exempt from any such concerns. As others have said, without obvious competition there doesn’t seem to be any chance of that position changing any time soon.

*(I do have dreadful experience of buying a Tesla from a premium used car dealer)
I received an email satisfaction survey following collecting the car and also following a mobile service appointment.

How many other people were there to pick up a new German car at the same time as you?

Genuinely curious, as it seems Tesla can't move for customers keen to buy their cars.

Keep in mind the german car brands have 10x the dealerships than Tesla. Tesla is only super busy due to the sheer lack of collection locations.

As I stated there were 2 people ahead of me and while I was there the line was anywhere from 4 to 15 folks. However, you didn't know who was there to collect and who was there for a test drive.

My experience at WD for collection in August 2019 was entirely acceptable. Waiting area with Coffee and about 20 other people collecting (I was early). My kids were crazy excited. Ahead of schedule we were show the car in the building that was packed with cars and given keys. registered in phone. The chap was happy to show and explain everything, which I didn't need as I had watched most of Youtube. One paint blemish that was sorted a month or so later.

It was a great experience, 0 complaints. Your german manufacturer experience may have been different, but you know you paid for that?

I get that pre-COVID it was an acceptable experience and that is great insight. I also get that Tesla are doing things differently to save costs.

I bought a new car a few weeks ago and the COVID protocol at the other manufacturer was exceptional, no waiting outside etc. From a cost perspective the M3P isn't that cheap :) I'm not complaining about the cost, its worth every penny. I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts. I was excited to get the car and just felt the collection experience put a damper on that (literally!)

I'm not expecting someone to roll out the red carpet or give me freebies, just thought they could have done a better job dealing with COVID, the inclement weather and the number of people waiting for both test drives and collections.

Make sure you give the feedback and find out who runs UK ops and email them direct too. They won’t get better unless folks give them organised and constructive feedback. They may never get better - but forum comments definitely won;t improve overall service on their own :)

Reactions: s88ats
Make sure you give the feedback and find out who runs UK ops and email them direct too. They won’t get better unless folks give them organised and constructive feedback. They may never get better - but forum comments definitely won;t improve overall service on their own :)
That's a good point. Nothing is likely to improve, but if people have issues and they let tesla uk know, they might take notice. Especially as there will be a load more customers now with the model 3.

As per the "paid for it" comment any the German cars. My last two German cars, whilst not cheap, were still cheaper than my M3P. When I picked my last one up I got a big fancy reveal, pulling off a cover. I also got a goodie bag of stuff, and a sales assistant showing me round the controls whilst my salesman prepared the paperwork. I assume, as the M3P is more expensive, I'll get an even better experience picking that up :rolleyes:

when I have new purchased cars previously I have found it frustrating....

what have I bought? a car.

what do I want? the car.

what do I get... lessons on where indicator stalks are, sales people trying to sell you other stuff, an introduction to the servicing team, then more sales tactics to buy more stuff, then waiting for the car to be driven out the showroom and handed over.

frustrating. just gimme the car dammit.

Reactions: Adopado

what do I want? the car.

what do I get... lessons on where indicator stalks are, sales people trying to sell you other stuff, an introduction to the servicing team, then more sales tactics to buy more stuff, then waiting for the car to be driven out the showroom and handed over.

I found it useful, especially as it was done whilst the paperwork was being created. It'll be doubly useful in a model 3 given the difference from "traditional" controls. It's nice to know, when you're spending north of £60 grand on something, that the custom is appreciated. Hopefully I'll have a better experience than the OP but if I just get shoved a set of key cards and told to fend for myself I'll not be happy

Reactions: Lucanesque
We collected our M3 from WD on a hugely busy end-of-quarter 30 June this year. The length of the wait was unacceptable, but not unexpected. I didn't mind the "no frills" experience at all, but what still struck me was the variability in the attitudes and effort put in by the different staff on site. One was frankly cretinous; one was perfectly courteous, if generally indifferent to what was going on around him; and one was an absolute star, despite the madness unfolding around her.

For me, the sweet spot would be a "no frills" delivery experience, handled with courtesy and competence. Too much to ask for, perhaps? :rolleyes:

I found it useful, especially as it was done whilst the paperwork was being created. It'll be doubly useful in a model 3 given the difference from "traditional" controls. It's nice to know, when you're spending north of £60 grand on something, that the custom is appreciated. Hopefully I'll have a better experience than the OP but if I just get shoved a set of key cards and told to fend for myself I'll not be happy

Not saying the Tesla way is the right way, just that the traditional ICE way with cross selling is IMHO horrible.

The right delivery "experience" is probably somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: Adopado
Not saying the Tesla way is the right way, just that the traditional ICE way with cross selling is IMHO horrible.

The right delivery "experience" is probably somewhere in the middle.
I don't recall being cross sold anything, except alloy wheel insurance. which I got and have used! Other than that I loved the experience, the drama of "unveiling" your car. The endless coffees, the care and attention. Some people my not value that, but I repeat, when I'm spending what to 99% of the population (myself included) is a significant some of money for something I would expect the company to appreciate that. Maybe I'll get a better experience but I genuinely won't be happy if i just get fobbed off after spending so much on a product.

what do I want? the car.

The cross selling is tedious, I'm with you on that. Although for this particular car, given the vast differences in UI, I'm slightly anxious about just being chucked the keys and then having to figure it out as I navigate home :confused:

Reactions: Neilio
I don't recall being cross sold anything, except alloy wheel insurance. which I got and have used! Other than that I loved the experience, the drama of "unveiling" your car. The endless coffees, the care and attention. Some people my not value that, but I repeat, when I'm spending what to 99% of the population (myself included) is a significant some of money for something I would expect the company to appreciate that. Maybe I'll get a better experience but I genuinely won't be happy if i just get fobbed off after spending so much on a product.

Whilst I'm not saying the lobbing of the keycards and a smile (if you're lucky) is right, I'd recommend reseting your expectations so that a day that should be really exciting for you doesn't turn sour. If you then get a better experience than the bare minimum you'll be happier and you still get to drive home in an amazing car.

BMW didn't do the big reveal for me at all as I posted above, so I was a little disappointed on the day, as they'd done it for a friend of mine a few times, so I had some expectations which they didn't meet, but still, the drive home was fantastic and other than posting in here about it, it's not something I've thought about since.

Hopefully you'll find the same for your Model 3, still makes me smile every time I give the fun pedal an enthusiastic poke. On my test drive, I had to apologise to the sales guy from Tesla for my involuntary swear when I floored the accelerator, just couldn't help it :)

The cross selling is tedious, I'm with you on that. Although for this particular car, given the vast differences in UI, I'm slightly anxious about just being chucked the keys and then having to figure it out as I navigate home :confused:

It's time to YouTube! It's a nice UI so you won't struggle too much even if you do get a lacklustre handover, I'd suggest doing some YouTube research anyway to familiarise yourself :)

Last edited:
It's time to YouTube! It's a nice UI so you won't struggle too much even if you do get a lacklustre handover, I'd suggest doing some YouTube research anyway to familiarise yourself :)

I will do :) I guess my anxiety is more that I'll get there in two weeks time and be like ERMEHGERD!!! SHINY ELECTRIC CAR!!!! and forget all about everything I've seen and struggle to even get it in to drive :D

Reactions: s88ats

Tesla is not wasting money on trying to have a dealership in every major town. They're also not wasting money on flowers, champagne and presentation. The car is expensive enough already so I don't want to be paying even more so that I can have all the aforementioned! None of it comes "free" ... you pay for every little "extra". Once they've optimised a simple but thorough PDI and handover hopefully 90% of people will be happy without the other (IMHO) nonsense.