Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color Preferences - Model S

What color Model S would you like the most?

• Black

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • White

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • Silver/Grey

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Electric Blue

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Glacier Blue

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Lightning Green

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Lipstick Red

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Candy Red

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Very Orange

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 13.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yuck. This is NOT OK with me. I will not buy red under any circumstances (it's an invitation to get pulled over by the cops, and raises insurance rates); I will not buy black (it boils the interior in the summer); and I will not buy silver/grey (it's the color of the road, and people tend to run into you).

That leaves white. I would like another option.

Ideally, I'd like a dark purple, but I'd be fine with any purple, a dark blue, a light blue, a medium blue, a bluish green, yellow, gold, orange, etc. Surely we can at least get a blue option.

You realize that the bold part is not true. This link deals with the first statement: http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp and this link deals with the second statement: Car Insurance Myths: Get Answers to 10 Auto Insurance Questions Myths | Insurance.com

As to the topic, I love the prototype red color and would love to get that if I get this car.

-Shark2k

The red that is on the prototype has been referrred to as candy apple. That is the color that was floated in Toronto.

The powder coating was mentioned in an engineering report. Three coats. Two of these were reprted as "powder." I don't remember the exact wording but it was official documentation so maybe someone can find it on the tesla website.

You realize that the bold part is not true. This link deals with the first statement: http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp and this link deals with the second statement: Car Insurance Myths: Get Answers to 10 Auto Insurance Questions Myths | Insurance.com

As to the topic, I love the prototype red color and would love to get that if I get this car.

-Shark2k

I am convinced that red cars are ticket bait. I had a car with a candy red stripe about 6" wide. After 5 tickets in a year, I changed it to Candy Blue. No more tickets for three years, and I did not change my driving habits!

I am convinced that red cars are ticket bait. I had a car with a candy red stripe about 6" wide. After 5 tickets in a year, I changed it to Candy Blue. No more tickets for three years, and I did not change my driving habits!

My parents had a huge red van (full sized) and did not get ticketed. I'm friends with a bunch of cops and I've asked them before and they've all said the same thing, color is not a factor.

Sorry for going off topic.

-Shark2k

I'm friends with a bunch of cops and I've asked them before and they've all said the same thing, color is not a factor.

I'll agree it's not a conscious factor. But, brighter, flashier colors get you noticed more.

Anecdotal evidence follows: I test drove a Lime-er-Lightning Green Roadster with CF accents. On that one test drive I got questions from a few people, thumbs up from 2 motorcyclists, etc. I've owned my Boring-er-Thunder Gray Roadster for 3 weeks tomorrow and have put on over 1000 miles on it. Not one thumbs up from any motorcyclist, and only 1 person has asked me about it.

I'm thinking the brighter colors might be safer. The Roadster is small and low and that makes it harder to see. In Boring Gray, it probably just blends into the asphalt.

Bear in mind that deep candy apple type paint of any shade is a multi-coat process. A very deep very beautiful paint job like the prototype (I have seen it in person) is very expensive to produce, likely in the 20K zone. Don't get your heart set on it unless you are thinking along these price lines.

You realize that the bold part is not true. This link deals with the first statement: http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp

No, it doesn't.

Citing the self-interested claims of police, of course, says nothing, as the article explains. Citing a single amateur study by a single St. Petersburg reporter, covering *only* speeding tickets -- and which actually *validated* the statement that car color affects how likely you are to get pulled over by the cops -- says very little more. Given that white DOES get pulled over less often...

Good to know. I'll believe the insurers. I assume that getting a red car doesn't increase accident odds *beyond* what is already predictable by driver behavior. There *is* some old evidence that bad drivers prefer red cars (which says nothing about what good drivers prefer); it may be tricky for me to locate it.

For Model S I am really torn on what color to pick. I like Thunder Gray on the Roadster (at least in pictures as I've only seen and driven a red Roadster) but don't know if I'd like it on Model S since it's a much bigger vehicle.

I do like red but it's going to be a popular color (more than likely) due to it's popularity in general and the fact that the Prototype is red.

I voted white because I like the look of white cars (most of them, at least) and it helps keep the car cooler in the summer. However, I'd also consider yellow if a Model S Sport becomes available before I have to lock-in my options.

Bear in mind that deep candy apple type paint of any shade is a multi-coat process. A very deep very beautiful paint job like the prototype (I have seen it in person) is very expensive to produce, likely in the 20K zone. Don't get your heart set on it unless you are thinking along these price lines.

Painting any car is a multi-coat process - plastic parts such as bumpers/fenders typically have 9 coats on, I believe.

Is your $20k to re-paint a completed car? Painting bodyshells and panels as they're being built will be a lot cheaper.

My photoshopped Model S will look like this in either silver, dark grey or black with aftermarket concave style wheels when it gets built. I have heard Lorinser RS8 wheels used on Model S prototype are prone to cracks, due to its weak design. Models S looks much better in concave style wheels than RS8 turbine style wheels.

Attachments

• models52 800.jpg
    models52 800.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 193
  • models2 800.jpg
    models2 800.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 185
  • models4 800.jpg
    models4 800.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 181
  • models43 800.jpg
    models43 800.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 187
  • models42 800.jpg
    models42 800.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 197
The original statements from Tesla were that the Signature would have exclusive color(s), signage and potentially other options. If the prototype red color is truly expensive to produce it may only be available for the Signature. It also appears there will be few "options" on the Signature as it will have all the options.

A classy car like the Model-S needs a classy color, and Preferably 'Metalic' Colors in dark shades, they look 'rich' with lots of depth!!
I love the 'Candy Red' most of what I've seen. I wonder what a 'Candy Black' would look like!??
All I know, is that if the Model-S does not come in a 'Metalic' color,.... then I'm not interested!!