Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado waiting room - M3 Performance AWD or non-Perf AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know that front plates are required here, but many just skip it and hope for the best. Curious what you all plan to do there.

I did once get a ticket for that with a Mustang in the Denver area, then reluctantly put the front plate on. But it seems especially wrong to put a front plate on the Model 3.

Planning not to put it on.

How much was the ticket?

Got some clarity on the free Supercharging thing (for those who ordered a P version before Aug. 1 or possibly via referral).

I called Tesla support, since my account shows "Pay Per Use" Supercharging, even though I got the e-mail that said "you now have free, unlimited Supercharging."

The customer support person said that there's a manual process they have to do that can take up to 2-3 weeks after delivery for that status to change on the website.

It's a minor issue for sure, but I was just curious what the deal was.

Got some clarity on the free Supercharging thing (for those who ordered a P version before Aug. 1 or possibly via referral).

I called Tesla support, since my account shows "Pay Per Use" Supercharging, even though I got the e-mail that said "you now have free, unlimited Supercharging."

The customer support person said that there's a manual process they have to do that can take up to 2-3 weeks after delivery for that status to change on the website.

It's a minor issue for sure, but I was just curious what the deal was.

thx for looking into this Steve! i’m 2 weeks this weekend, i’ll keep you all posted when my status changes.

I test drove the Performance at Park Meadows yesterday. I had been vacillating on whether to reconfigure to a Performance, and drop EAP and FSD (for now) to keep the price close.

It was fun to drive, and all of the things I remember about driving an RWD a few months ago were still true. I was fully expecting driving the Performance was going to cause me to change my order from AWD. But all it did was cement my decision to stay with the AWD, and keep EAP and FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: riverFox and Runt8
thx for looking into this Steve! i’m 2 weeks this weekend, i’ll keep you all posted when my status changes.

There was someone asking about that on the Reddit daily thread, and that person said theirs hadn't updated even after two weeks (and they were told it took up to two weeks). I put a reminder on my phone to bug them after three weeks (I'm only at 2 1/2 days, haha).

It was fun to drive, and all of the things I remember about driving an RWD a few months ago were still true. I was fully expecting driving the Performance was going to cause me to change my order from AWD. But all it did was cement my decision to stay with the AWD, and keep EAP and FSD.

Understandable. I've been driving my P for a couple of days, and honestly, it's WAY overkill, since most of my driving is going to be commuting in city traffic. The AWD is going to be such a beast anyway. I definitely don't regret getting the P (it *is* a lot of fun when the opportunity arises), but I seriously doubt you're going to be thinking "gee, I really wanted my neck to snap back a *little* more just then".

Reactions: Runt8
Understandable. I've been driving my P for a couple of days, and honestly, it's WAY overkill, since most of my driving is going to be commuting in city traffic. The AWD is going to be such a beast anyway. I definitely don't regret getting the P (it *is* a lot of fun when the opportunity arises), but I seriously doubt you're going to be thinking "gee, I really wanted my neck to snap back a *little* more just then".

Yeah. Mainly the same thing for me. Honestly, even if you're in a standard AWD nobody is going to be leaving the stoplight with you unless their badge says Model S.

My only pause is handling. I'm not sure how much better the P with the Performance Upgrade Package handles than the standard AWD. The one we drove yesterday was on rails. The handling of the Model 3 puts me in mind of my old e46 and e90 3 Series Bimmers, back before the 3 Series became a sportier Camry. But I seem to remember pretty much the same thing with the RWD I drove awhile back. My main nit is that I wish Tesla had standard AWD models to test drive, so I could compare the handling. I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't matter much, since even if I were to buy the P I wouldn't buy the Performance Upgrade Package, and I plan on lowering my AWD anyway.

Yeah. Mainly the same thing for me. Honestly, even if you're in a standard AWD nobody is going to be leaving the stoplight with you unless their badge says Model S.

My only pause is handling. I'm not sure how much better the P with the Performance Upgrade Package handles than the standard AWD. The one we drove yesterday was on rails. The handling of the Model 3 puts me in mind of my old e46 and e90 3 Series Bimmers, back before the 3 Series became a sportier Camry. But I seem to remember pretty much the same thing with the RWD I drove awhile back. My main nit is that I wish Tesla had standard AWD models to test drive, so I could compare the handling. I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't matter much, since even if I were to buy the P I wouldn't buy the Performance Upgrade Package, and I plan on lowering my AWD anyway.

My sentiments exactly! Although I got frustrated going back and forth and upgraded to P after test driving it at Park Meadows a couple of weeks back (with the thought of "what if"). I think its strategic from Tesla's part to not put any AWD only cars for demo imo. Its excruciating to find any decent review of AWD handling in comparison to P specifically. I am still holding my breath of someone truly comparing P to AWD before I get my vin :)

Colorado Springs
Reserved: 3/31/2016
Ordered: 7/17/2018
Lost my edit button about 3 days ago and got a delivery date of 9/4 today. My delivery advisor made it sound like she could have made it for an earlier date but thought 9/4 was the soonest "safe" date. They're pumping these babies out quick!

AWD
Exterior: Blue
Interior: White
Wheels: Standard 18's

What's awesome is I'm on vacation the labor day week so I'll be enjoying the hell out of this thing for a few days straight. Maybe a road trip is in order...