Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado waiting room - M3 Performance AWD or non-Perf AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3DLR:

VIN: 5YJ3E1EB6JF063xxx
Dual Motor, LR, Premium Interior Black, Deep Blue Metallic, Sport Wheels,
Delivery to Littleton Colorado
  • Scheduled for delivery on: 8/21/18
  • "Ready for Delivery" email: 8/14/18
  • Configured/ordered: 6/29/18
  • Reservation: 4/1/16
  • Non-previous owner

I finally broke down and called Tesla customer support. The customer service rep said there’s no VIN assigned to me yet, which she called “odd”, since I ordered on May 23rd. So I continue to wait.

Day 1 line waiter (about 6th in line)
Ordered 5/23/2018
Updated config to white interior on 7/23/2018
Dual Motor extended range Model 3, red exterior, white interior, 19 inch wheels, EAP, FSD

I stopped over at the local delivery center today, Littleton Colorado.

As I pulled up, I saw a transport truck pulling out, fully enclosed transport. I also saw full car wraps (tyvek-like covers) on the ground that local staff had pulled off a small number of cars that came in with them on, and I saw at least one car, brand new, undelivered that was plastered with bug guts all over the front, clearly came in on open transport.

I asked one of the guys there what the story was and evidently the cars are coming in on all different kinds of transport. Fully enclosed transport, open transport with covers, open transport without covers. Evidently just complete luck of the draw from the providers Tesla is using. He also said (unconfirmed) that it was often the truckers that pulled the tyvek wraps off the car when loading, rather than Tesla simply not putting wraps on some cars.

It was also obvious that the different colors had batched VIN's. There were perhaps 5 cars there with an identical build to mine (3DLR) in the same color (MBM). All had semi-sequential VINS. In the case of the Midnight Blue dual motors, they were all ending in 63xxx, with xxx being below 750. Mine is 63xxx over 750, probably show up in the next few days. Other colors had similarly batched VIN numbers. Wheel choice didn't seem to impact anything, I saw both aero wheels and sport wheels mixed in to the VIN range.

Lastly, I didn't see too many notable build flaws. There was definitely some variation in panel gaps and the front/rear alignment of the chrome trim above the doors, but nothing really heinous.

tesla defects and vins - 4.jpg

tesla defects and vins - 5.jpg

tesla defects and vins - 2.jpg

tesla defects and vins - 3.jpg

tesla defects and vins - 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Runt8
I stopped over at the local delivery center today, Littleton Colorado.

As I pulled up, I saw a transport truck pulling out, fully enclosed transport. I also saw full car wraps (tyvek-like covers) on the ground that local staff had pulled off a small number of cars that came in with them on, and I saw at least one car, brand new, undelivered that was plastered with bug guts all over the front, clearly came in on open transport.

I asked one of the guys there what the story was and evidently the cars are coming in on all different kinds of transport. Fully enclosed transport, open transport with covers, open transport without covers. Evidently just complete luck of the draw from the providers Tesla is using. He also said (unconfirmed) that it was often the truckers that pulled the tyvek wraps off the car when loading, rather than Tesla simply not putting wraps on some cars.

It was also obvious that the different colors had batched VIN's. There were perhaps 5 cars there with an identical build to mine (3DLR) in the same color (MBM). All had semi-sequential VINS. In the case of the Midnight Blue dual motors, they were all ending in 63xxx, with xxx being below 750. Mine is 63xxx over 750, probably show up in the next few days. Other colors had similarly batched VIN numbers. Wheel choice didn't seem to impact anything, I saw both aero wheels and sport wheels mixed in to the VIN range.

Lastly, I didn't see too many notable build flaws. There was definitely some variation in panel gaps and the front/rear alignment of the chrome trim above the doors, but nothing really heinous.

View attachment 325808
View attachment 325804
View attachment 325805
View attachment 325806
View attachment 325807
Did you happen to go by before today's hail storm? I'm hoping those dozens of cars on the lot were spared!

Got my delivery date. Tuesday! (8/21) VIN 55xxx. Woo hoo!

The person who called me said I needed to bring a cashier's check, but the e-mail (and website) mentions you can also do an ACH transfer. I e-mailed her to ask about the specifics. The money is in an online only account, so a cashier's check wouldn't work I don't think (not enough time to wait for that in the mail). The website says I can to an ACH transfer prior to delivery, but there's no place on the website to do that (yet?).

I'm on the "Review your details and submit your payment" step of the new Domino's Pizza style tracker.

I finally have the new account page as of today, still have an edit button though and it doesn’t even show the prepare for delivery step checked off but I’ve entered everything I can. Is that normal?

Also the same for me and my order change from AWD to P version has not been implemented. Fwiw, I called today and the wait was less than 10min! They confirmed my changes are just taking longer than normal to put in place, but they will be made. No VIN yet, but with recent change I expect that. Just hoping I get the car in 2018.

I've seen 3 different model 3's today in the Boulder area. Two with CO plates and one CA. White, black, and blue. if everyone in the area can avoid ordering red I'd appreciate it ;-).

The person who called me said I needed to bring a cashier's check, but the e-mail (and website) mentions you can also do an ACH transfer. I e-mailed her to ask about the specifics. The money is in an online only account, so a cashier's check wouldn't work I don't think (not enough time to wait for that in the mail). The website says I can to an ACH transfer prior to delivery, but there's no place on the website to do that (yet?).

I'm on the "Review your details and submit your payment" step of the new Domino's Pizza style tracker.

Congrats, Steve. I was starting to get a little worried, because the Colorado delivery calls had kind of dried up. Did you speak to them today?

I decided not to take a cashiers check. Used the ACH transfer (on-site), worked immediately, drove away with DM, standard black, black interior.

Last edited:
Congrats, Steve. I was starting to get a little worried, because the Colorado delivery calls had kind of dried up. Did you speak to them today?

I haven't spoken to anyone locally yet, if that's what you mean. My assigned "sales adviser" called me today. That's the first live human contact I've had on this whole thing since waiting in line on 3/31/2016, haha.

But yeah, it was getting awfully quiet around here, so I was starting to get worried too.