Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado waiting room - M3 Performance AWD or non-Perf AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This! Go to Tesla and get a new temp tag. They are used to this. Before I could even finish mud sentence, they were off getting me a new one.

If you try and go to the DMV for a temp tag, they will charge you the additional sales tax due. Since I didn’t have a copy of what I paid at delivery, they wouldn’t give me one.

And a day later my title from Tesla appeared via priority mail.
Lol. That's another reason I haven't been to the DMV because I figured that would happen to me! Now that I have the new temp tag, I expect the paperwork to finally show up but if it doesn't, I'm good for two more months.

Lol. That's another reason I haven't been to the DMV because I figured that would happen to me! Now that I have the new temp tag, I expect the paperwork to finally show up but if it doesn't, I'm good for two more months.
Yep, two hours of my life I’ll never get back. I think I’ll leave my new tag on until the end of January when it expires, then get my car registered. I can’t go back there this soon.

Yep, two hours of my life I’ll never get back. I think I’ll leave my new tag on until the end of January when it expires, then get my car registered. I can’t go back there this soon.
I thought of that but don't forget about the tax credits! For the state credit, you have to register it first. You'll want to register by the end of December so you can claim credit when filing in 2019. For federal, it shouldn't matter but I'll register by year end, assuming I get my paperwork.

I thought of that but don't forget about the tax credits! For the state credit, you have to register it first. You'll want to register by the end of December so you can claim credit when filing in 2019. For federal, it shouldn't matter but I'll register by year end, assuming I get my paperwork.

Is the tax credit for CO changing in 19? My temp plate expires Jan 9th so I was planning on getting plates in January to have another month of registered time (renew every Jan vs. Dec going forward), however if CO tax credit is changing then well I'll register in December assuming of course Tesla moves things along quickly enough with paperwork to facilitate that.

Anyone have shop recommendations for tint? I'm in north Golden/west Arvada area.

Is the tax credit for CO changing in 19? My temp plate expires Jan 9th so I was planning on getting plates in January to have another month of registered time (renew every Jan vs. Dec going forward), however if CO tax credit is changing then well I'll register in December assuming of course Tesla moves things along quickly enough with paperwork to facilitate that.

Anyone have shop recommendations for tint? I'm in north Golden/west Arvada area.
It doesn't change but if you don't register until 2019 then you probably won't be able to claim the state credit on your taxes until you file in 2020. Then again, maybe you pay quarterly taxes and wouldn't have to wait a year?

It doesn't change but if you don't register until 2019 then you probably won't be able to claim the state credit on your taxes until you file in 2020. Then again, maybe you pay quarterly taxes and wouldn't have to wait a year?

Yes understand that then the tax credit would be for 2019 filing year. We'll have the liability either way although I'd rather have the 5k back earlier than later for a PV array so will probably try and register in '18. CO doesn't have offer a PV solar rebate which will be the next qualifying rebate candidate purchase which we'll be doing next year. Probably then a EV or PHEV in 2020 for my wife.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yes understand that then the tax credit would be for 2019 filing year. We'll have the liability either way although I'd rather have the 5k back earlier than later for a PV array so will probably try and register in '18. CO doesn't have offer a PV solar rebate which will be the next qualifying rebate candidate purchase which we'll be doing next year. Probably then a EV or PHEV in 2020 for my wife.
We got a 3 and solar this year so I'm expecting some really nice tax refunds early next year. If possible, we might try to put in some additional panels with the ITC rebate.

Reactions: HeatproofGenie
Not to mention every year a republican state senator tries to pass legislation to remove the tax credit. With the democratic majority and democratic governer it probably won’t go away but I’d rather get it this year and not worry about it.

Ah great point. Thanks.

My apologies but I realized while I was in bed this morning that I remembered the rules incorrectly. For the state tax credit, you should still be able to file for it next year (2018) even if you don't register it until early 2019. I remembered that with my first Tesla that I bought in December 2016, I didn't register it until February 2017 but was able to file for both the federal and state taxes credits when doing my 2016 taxes. The state tax credit does need proof that you registered the car in Colorado but it doesn't need to be registered in the same year as purchase. Again, my apologies for any confusion I may have caused!
:oops:

Since I just got another 60 day tag, I may wait until January before registering the 3 but will stop claim the 2018 tax credit.

Last edited:
My apologies but I realized while I was in bed this morning that I remembered the rules incorrectly. For the state tax credit, you should still be able to file for it next year even if you don't register it until early 2019. I remembered that with my first Teslat that I bought in December 2016, I didn't register it until February 2017 but was able to file for both the federal and state taxes credits when doing my 2016 taxes. The state tax credit does need proof that you registered the car in Colorado but it doesn't need to be registered in the same year as purchase. Again, my apologies for any confusion I may have caused!
:oops:

Since I just got another 60 day tag, I may wait until January before registering the 3 but will stop claim the 2018 tax credit.
All good, thanks for the clarification.

No worries, appreciate the clarification.

Best of both worlds then, take the rebate in 2018 and register as late as possible to push time on temp tags.

I don't know what waiting with temp tags buys you as I believe you end up paying the taxes on all the time you have the temp tags. Maybe that was discussed earlier in this thread and I missed it.

My registration experience was actually painless. I paid cash for the car, Tesla sent me a Fedex mailer with the title and other paperwork and I got it a couple of weeks ago. I went into the DMV, handed everything over to them and had my plates about 20 minutes later. Of course writing the check for the first year's registration made me wince but that's Colorado for you.

I don't know what waiting with temp tags buys you as I believe you end up paying the taxes on all the time you have the temp tags. Maybe that was discussed earlier in this thread and I missed it.

My registration experience was actually painless. I paid cash for the car, Tesla sent me a Fedex mailer with the title and other paperwork and I got it a couple of weeks ago. I went into the DMV, handed everything over to them and had my plates about 20 minutes later. Of course writing the check for the first year's registration made me wince but that's Colorado for you.
I think the benefit is that it wouldn't be in the month of December, when people might already be spending a lot on holiday gifts. While I guess most purchases in December would probably end up being due in January, it probably doesn't help spread the payments out too much. With my first Tesla, I got the car in December and the paperwork in February and I registered it in February. Since I pay off my credit card bills every month to avoid interest, my January 2017 credit card bills were for the holiday season and then the next big bill for my Tesla registration wasn't until February.

When was your delivery date? We paid cash as well and took delivery on 9/27 but still haven't received the paperwork...hence the visit to Tesla on Saturday for another 60 day temp tag.

I think the benefit is that it wouldn't be in the month of December, when people might already be spending a lot on holiday gifts. While I guess most purchases in December would probably end up being due in January, it probably doesn't help spread the payments out too much. With my first Tesla, I got the car in December and the paperwork in February and I registered it in February. Since I pay off my credit card bills every month to avoid interest, my January 2017 credit card bills were for the holiday season and then the next big bill for my Tesla registration wasn't until February.

When was your delivery date? We paid cash as well and took delivery on 9/27 but still haven't received the paperwork...hence the visit to Tesla on Saturday for another 60 day temp tag.

Delivery date was around September 22nd and I received the paperwork probably about 2+ weeks ago. Temp tags were good until around Nov 27th so I had nearly a several weeks buffer to get my plates.

My only reason for waiting to register is that it is just pushes me into another month, January, until I have to register. If CO does indeed do tax pro-ration for time with temp tags then it doesn't matter when one registers. If CO charges the tax for a full calendar year from registration time on then it makes sense to wait to register.

I've always assumed it was the latter but have not researched it. Will take a look and see if I can determine.