Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Come here baby 2019.40.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love this. Adaptive cruise without fear of phantom braking scaring the crap out of my passengers on deserted roads.

As for the request for non-adaptive in a snow storm..... erm..... not sure this is a good time to not be 100% hands and pedal IMHO!

Yeah for the snow storm is that you can go for long stretches of road where conditions are fine but the cameras are still obstructed. I could relax my foot for 20 km at a time before hitting the next stretch of snow covered road.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
This release also claims to have improved deep neural net for the windshield wipers. We had some good rain a few days ago in
Los Angeles area, but none right now. Looking forward to trying this as well.

It's been drizzling all day here in Rhode Island, and I went out to run some errands. The new wipers are still garbage, at least in today's conditions. I filed a two-button bug report, but I used a stronger word than "garbage." :(

Yeah for the snow storm is that you can go for long stretches of road where conditions are fine but the cameras are still obstructed. I could relax my foot for 20 km at a time before hitting the next stretch of snow covered road.
Fair enough Valtor. I’m in the uk so we only get comedy snow here in most of the country. I’ll bow to your experience from a place that probably has the proper stuff ;)

It doesn't throw me into bus pockets anymore.
It stopped going in the middle of merging lanes. It sticks to the side.
A regression is that it ping pongs / weaves when there are not 100% clear lane markings.
Another regression is in stop & go. Sometimes It jolts / shudders heavily for a few inches. When closely behind a car especially downhill. It can't be good for the drive train.

But all in all it performs well in terrible conditions up here in the north.

Reactions: VT_EE
It seems like I see a lot more traffic cones that aren't traffic cones. My car has always displayed most fire hydrants as cones, but today I noticed that it recognized a sign as a traffic cone. The first time I noticed it was an island traffic sign. But then I noticed a lot of things like bus stops and other signs. And they're not striped or orange or whatever.

It seems like I see a lot more traffic cones that aren't traffic cones. My car has always displayed most fire hydrants as cones, but today I noticed that it recognized a sign as a traffic cone. The first time I noticed it was an island traffic sign. But then I noticed a lot of things like bus stops and other signs. And they're not striped or orange or whatever.

I have noticed that as well. I even saw a mailbox on a major road that had some reflector tape on the pedestal show up as a cone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm also seeing many, many more incorrectly identified traffic cones in this software version versus prior ones. Not a huge deal, just an observation.

For me, the wipers are a big improvement. It seems to take them a while to trigger for the first time but once they are engaged they perform very well for me.

The ping-ponging was there for me in prior software versions and this one seems no better or worse than what I was already experiencing. It's not just poorly marked lanes - it occurs on the interstate as well. It's fairly mild but noticeable. Hopefully they get that figured out soon.

Another thing I've noticed is that they have greatly tempered the braking for sharp turns. In 40.2.1 the car only seems to brake for very sharp curves. In prior versions it would brake for nearly every curve. In my opinion, they need to settle on something between these two extremes. It's currently barreling through turns too quickly most of the time which causes the system to panic and brake in the middle of a curve instead of braking prior to entering the curve.

Stoplight and stop sign recognition appears to be working fine for me.

I can add to the chorus as well as I see lot of cones while driving that I consider as delusional. No magic mushroom here.
However, my car still does not recognize the stop signs. We have lot of Stop signs and we can drive slower only approaching these as we have speed bumps also in our neighborhood.

Stop signs worked for me, but not for the faint of heart! Basically kicks on just about the time the car is at the line. Maybe a half a car length earlier. Don’t test unless you know there is no cross traffic

The question is, is that a problem with the visualization or with the actual identification? Maybe the software knows a fire hydrant is a fire hydrant, but they just have it showing up as a cone as a "placeholder" until the rest of the visualizations are done.

The question is, is that a problem with the visualization or with the actual identification? Maybe the software knows a fire hydrant is a fire hydrant, but they just have it showing up as a cone as a "placeholder" until the rest of the visualizations are done.
I believe it is intentional. I don't think they'll be adding visualizations for every object that could be found on or alongside a road. It's probably just using the traffic cone icon to indicate objects that you should be aware of and not drive into.

Last edited:
Reactions: arghx7
This has occurred before. Parallel scenario was when all cars including big trucks as being represented as just cars few software updates back. More like a place holder, probably. However, now I can see a visual difference between a car, an SUV, a Fold pick up truck and a huge 18 wheeler.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D