Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like you, I may go the MYP instead. The better Matrix headlights for one reason and the fact I could probably re-sell a new set of 21”s and buy a set of 18” from sportline with pilot sport AS. I am also curious how the build quality of the Fremont plant vs Austin.
In general it seems the reported Austin plant quality - perhaps the paint in particular - is higher than Fremont (which is sort of a bummer since I am assuming if I ordered an LR I would end up with an Austin car - I'm in Texas). Somewhat more annoying, I seem to recall seeing a post either here on TMC or on Reddit from a person who just took delivery of a new MYP and it did NOT have the matrix headlights! Now, if you look on the website, it makes NO mention of matrix headlights for any of the models so Tesla is basically free to do whatever they want in that regard and I suspect with the influx of orders and, in particular, the number of folks converting MYLR to MYP orders (when the rebate cap increased), they are probably pumping them out quick and use whatever headlights they have available. It would be a bummer to not get them since it is one of the few "extras" in the Performance cars (note: some other Fremont cars may have the matrix lights as well on occasion).

In general it seems the reported Austin plant quality - perhaps the paint in particular - is higher than Fremont (which is sort of a bummer since I am assuming if I ordered an LR I would end up with an Austin car - I'm in Texas). Somewhat more annoying, I seem to recall seeing a post either here on TMC or on Reddit from a person who just took delivery of a new MYP and it did NOT have the matrix headlights! Now, if you look on the website, it makes NO mention of matrix headlights for any of the models so Tesla is basically free to do whatever they want in that regard and I suspect with the influx of orders and, in particular, the number of folks converting MYLR to MYP orders (when the rebate cap increased), they are probably pumping them out quick and use whatever headlights they have available. It would be a bummer to not get them since it is one of the few "extras" in the Performance cars (note: some other Fremont cars may have the matrix lights as well on occasion).
That’s very disappointing not being able to know for certain when you order a vehicle what it comes with beforehand.

Just to clarify, the one recent MYP owner that said that simply didn’t recognize what it was supposed to look like. Once they were shown a picture, they understood that they did have the Matrix headlight.

There have been other folks that claim to get LRs from Austin with the lights but they have not confirmed it with pictures or some even with responses about it. Even a few were “told” by the SA they had Austin builds with Matrix confirmed they actually didn’t.

So, as far as the headlights go, its not that some Fremont MYs have it, ALL Fremont MYs have it and Austin doesn’t. Anything to the contrary hasn’t been proven.

Of course, this only came about because they had used the Matrix and planned to phase over to non-Matrix, but ended up finding out supply of the non-Matrix couldn’t keep up.

So, while Fremont “could” install non-Matrix lights on LRs coming from it, that is a step of inefficiency if they constantly have to switch if supply doesn’t keep up. So, for the time being, it’s better to just use the Matrix for all LRs coming from Fremont for the sake of efficiency.

Since they’ve deemed that there’s enough supply for Austin, the get only non-Matrix.

If you really want a Fremont MY, either get an LR with 7 seats or a P. Those are only assembled in Fremont. While there’s supposed drone footage of white interior MYs at Austin, that is also primarily assembled in Fremont… but if the drone footage is a sign of things to come, that might change.

That’s very disappointing not being able to know for certain when you order a vehicle what it comes with beforehand.
It’s kind of a trade off with how Tesla is doing things. In a tradition company, you made major change with full model changes every 8-10 years or so. Many do “mid model facelifts” in between every 4-5 years when they make minor changes. But that means you don’t implement anything except during those two times. It’s also why sometimes a car comes out with tech that’s more than half a decade old (or worse).

Tesla, on the other hand is implementing or taking out things as they go. Trying to put in the latest and greatest when they can.

Maybe it’s because they’re “young” and in the future they might change that… but this is how it is right now.

How do you know for sure if you have the matrix headlights? Just by having the small projector?
Yes.

Last edited:
Not sure why one would absolutely want the projector beams. From what I have seen and read on the forums, there is no real benefit. Maybe in the future if they can be controlled like in Europe however that really adds quite a bit of complexity to the functionality of a simple headlight on/off function. Sometimes things are better left alone IMHO.
I watched a teardown video and the complexity was actually remarkable. I’ve seen some videos showing what they’re capable of (i.e. ‘carving out’ a section of the light projection around an oncoming car so you don’t blind the driver.) it’s cool, but I’m not sure it’s worth the complexity and expense.

I watched a teardown video and the complexity was actually remarkable. I’ve seen some videos showing what they’re capable of (i.e. ‘carving out’ a section of the light projection around an oncoming car so you don’t blind the driver.) it’s cool, but I’m not sure it’s worth the complexity and expense.
I had similar technology on multiple different BMWs I had previously. I always bought the package that included those lights, and you had to "code" them on in the US market because of US regulations. The tunneling stuff is very cool, but I still never really felt comfortable leaving high beams on when traffic was coming the other way and "letting the system do it'.

I dont use auto high beams on my Tesla(s) either.

With that being said, I certainly would fall in the camp of "I want the best one" so get why people would want it, for sure.

Reactions: sleepydoc
My M3LR does that when going around turns. Definitely appreciate that technology.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
My M3LR does that when going around turns. Definitely appreciate that technology.
Nothing new there, all European cars do this via the head lights or fog lights, It's called cornering light. That video is 10 years old. If you have had Japanese or American cars in the past you probably did not have this feature. Since Tesla seems to build world cars I assume this feature was added to all their cars.

Reactions: enemji
Guess everyone has their own opinion of "comfort" ride and suspension. Just drove the new 2023 MYP, smooth, nice firm ride and complaint. I comparing that to my 2021 Acura RDX Aspec AWD with 20" wheels - the MYP was less jarring and smoother. Definitely less booming from the cargo area with the new cargo cover that absorbs sound.

Tire pressures have a lot to do with ride quality. If they are high, will ride rough. 2-3 psi lower, you will notice a smoother ride, without a hit on mi/kWh.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOVA and Dayreg
Guess everyone has their own opinion of "comfort" ride and suspension. Just drove the new 2023 MYP, smooth, nice firm ride and complaint. I comping that to my 2021 Acura RDX Aspec AWD with 20" wheels - the MYP was less jarring and smoother. Definitely less booming from the cargo area with the new cargo cover that absorbs sound.
I have another test drive tomorrow, hoping to compare the MYP to the MYLR I test drove last week. I found the MYLR on imperfect roads to be a little jarring and wallowing.

Reactions: enemji
I have another test drive tomorrow, hoping to compare the MYP to the MYLR I test drove last week. I found the MYLR on imperfect roads to be a little jarring and wallowing.
What vehicle are you coming from or your current daily driver? That may be the biggest change to get use too.

Also, Tire pressures have a lot to do with ride quality. If they are high, will ride rough. 2-3 psi lower, you will notice a smoother ride, without a hit on mi/kWh.

What vehicle are you coming from or your current daily driver? That may be the biggest change to get use too.

Also, Tire pressures have a lot to do with ride quality. If they are high, will ride rough. 2-3 psi lower, you will notice a smoother ride, without a hit on mi/kWh.
Good to know on the psi! I will take it to DT and have them check the pressure as it’s right around the corner from Tesla. I am currently driving my wife’s X3 non-adaptive suspension on 19” wheels for daily driving since she works from home.

Nothing new there, all European cars do this via the head lights or fog lights, It's called cornering light. That video is 10 years old. If you have had Japanese or American cars in the past you probably did not have this feature. Since Tesla seems to build world cars I assume this feature was added to all their cars.
My BMW headlights actually adjust vertically and turn with the steering.

Good to know on the psi! I will take it to DT and have them check the pressure as it’s right around the corner from Tesla. I am currently driving my wife’s X3 non-adaptive suspension on 19” wheels for daily driving since she works from home.
Use the screen to see the current tire pressure before you drive out on the demo ride. If you don’t know how to do it, ask the sales advisor to show you.

Bet the X3 has a more plush ride than most suvs, I drove a x5 M50 - was a Cadillac Ride even with 20” wheels and low profile tires. Smoother than my 2021 RDX Aspec - with non-ridematic suspension.

Reactions: GoVols!
Use the screen to see the current tire pressure before you drive out on the demo ride. If you don’t know how to do it, ask the sales advisor to show you.

Bet the X3 has a more plush ride than most suvs, I drove a x5 M50 - was a Cadillac Ride even with 20” wheels and low profile tires. Smoother than my 2021 RDX Aspec - with non-ridematic suspension.
BMW is tough to beat when it comes to ride quality, that is for sure. I bet the X5 M50 was fun. What tire pressure should I set the 21” Tesla wheels to?