Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know on the psi! I will take it to DT and have them check the pressure as it’s right around the corner from Tesla. I am currently driving my wife’s X3 non-adaptive suspension on 19” wheels for daily driving since she works from home.
DT have become hard to work with. They will not adjust tire pressure to my needs. They will only do what is written on the door sill. Looks like they got burned pretty bad.

DT have become hard to work with. They will not adjust tire pressure to my needs. They will only do what is written on the door sill. Looks like they got burned pretty bad.
Interesting, I just tell them what psi without even opening my door. Granted, I’ve done a lot of business there so I’m pretty familiar to them but they are super easy to work with. Every store is a little different when it comes to employees.

If I end up getting the MYP, I will sell the wheels anyways and buy 18” Sportline
Why buy MYP, if you are going downsize to small rims with big sidewall. To me the benefit of the MYP is the performance wheels, lower ride height and firmer ride to match the additional performance.

MYLR with 19” tires are cushy (compared the the MYP 21” wheels and performance tires) and you can always get the performance boost if you want. MYP sits 1” lower than the MYLR, and has firmer suspension.

Last edited:
Why buy MYP, if you are going downsize to small rims with big sidewall. To me the benefit of the MYP is the performance wheels, lower ride height and firmer ride to match the additional performance.

MYLR with 19” tires are cushy (compared the the MYP 21” wheels and performance tires) and you can always get the performance boost if you want. MYP sits 1” lower than the MYLR, and has firmer suspension.
I am not set on the MYP yet but I like the idea of better headlights and max power. One inch lower won’t make much difference where I live. We never see snow on the roads and if the weather is that bad, my 200 series will be ready to play.

buying a performance car, but don't want the performance? Got it!
I don’t look at the MY as a high performance vehicle the same way I looked at my sold but never forgotten F458. I literally just want it for getting around town and short road trips. I haven’t even driven it yet, so let me see how the 21”s are. I would prefer to have the Matrix headlights and might as well have max power instead of paying for an upgrade that still doesn’t give you the max power level of the MYP.

2021 Model Y owner, love the car but hate the suspension. Ordered a 23 for the comfort suspension as soon as the major price drop happened and just test drove one locally ahead of upcoming pickup. Very disappointed in both the ride quality and build quality of the newer car.

Test drove 2023 Model Y with 400 miles on it, riding on 19s:

+It felt like they managed to reduce the harshness of major impacts by probably 25-50%, such as when hitting big potholes or going over train tracks. Each time we were expecting a major thwack at the end of the travel, that never happened, which was good.

-The overall ride quality over small imperfections felt like it somehow got worse though, resulting in a more or less constant jittering / head bobbing that felt noticeably "busier" than our 2021. This effect was amplified the slower you drove and tended to lessen / smooth out a bit as you got closer to highway speeds.

-Our VIN630K had the worst interior booming of any of the six or so Model Y I've driven, even going back to the first 50K VIN we tested. Don't know if it was from a poorly adjusted hatch or what, but it made the super busy ride quality feel ten times worse, like the car was assaulting your whole body. Our 21 Model Y booms over big impacts as sound bounces around, but does not do it constantly over every little bump. Maybe this could be fixed with adjusting the hatch, but this is the car Tesla gave us for a test drive.

-As a palate cleanser, we went and test drove a CPO Macan that would be the same price as our incoming Y and the ride quality even on steel springs and runflat 20s was glorious. Each bump, one and done.

Honestly not sure what to make of this. Don't understand how some people can say this is so much better, when we found it to be marginal / worse. Suspension comfort is subjective, but it's not THAT subjective. I'm half convinced that in Tesla's rush to build a ton of cars from the price drop, they could be mixing in old parts. Also super disappointed about the booming, I definitely understand why that thread has so many posts now. Definitely recommend folks test drive them before trying to replace older models!

"Tesla Model Y Shishi 01 2022-09-04" by JamesYoung8167 is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail
View attachment 905812
I have a 2022 Model Y LR with 19” wheels bought in February 2022 and a 2023 Model Y LR with 19” wheels, delivered on December 15th, 2022. My 2023 definitely gives a better ride. My cars build is great and my only complaint is the lack of proximity sensors. I keep hearing that the cameras will be configured in an update to give us proximity warnings. It’s a waiting game.

Reactions: X Fan

Interesting, I just tell them what psi without even opening my door. Granted, I’ve done a lot of business there so I’m pretty familiar to them but they are super easy to work with. Every store is a little different when it comes to employees.
Customer service isn't universal at any DT, America's Tire, Firestone. Perfect example above!
My Discount Tire does what I ask, every time. No disappointments.

Reactions: GoVols!
I am not set on the MYP yet but I like the idea of better headlights and max power. One inch lower won’t make much difference where I live. We never see snow on the roads and if the weather is that bad, my 200 series will be ready to play.
Nope. Same ride height. The smaller rim ends with the same height, or certainly should, since the tire is taller. Hence the better ride.

Customer service isn't universal at any DT, America's Tire, Firestone. Perfect example above!
My Discount Tire does what I ask, every time. No disappointments.
Once i had taken my car to rotate the tires. I was then called by DT to the lift and told that they can only mount back 3 wheels as the 4th tire has a hair crack in the sidewall. Of course I had no spare. I told them to put the 4th back on and they refused to do so. I never went back to that DT after that.

The next DT refused to lower the tire pressure by couple of points. They just stuck to what is written on the sidewall.

I had enough of it. I got my own machine, battery operated and when needed tires, go to Costco.

Not 1 inch lower, more like 1cm lower.

19" or 18" wheels would be significantly lighter weight than the 21" wheels. The lighter wheels could be a hair faster on the track, ~0.1 second faster. Efficiency would be improved by as much as 10% over the stock wheels and tires.

Once i had taken my car to rotate the tires. I was then called by DT to the lift and told that they can only mount back 3 wheels as the 4th tire has a hair crack in the sidewall. Of course I had no spare. I told them to put the 4th back on and they refused to do so. I never went back to that DT after that.

The next DT refused to lower the tire pressure by couple of points. They just stuck to what is written on the sidewall.

I had enough of it. I got my own machine, battery operated and when needed tires, go to Costco.
I understand your issue. I'm guessing that "policy", and liability issues, actually REQUIRE them to set the pressures according to what's on the door. My guy will do what I ask, simply because he knows if he doesn't, I'll stop on the way out of his parking lot and reset the pressures to my liking.

• Funny
Reactions: enemji
Makes sense, and yeah BMW has under rated power consistently for years, across multiple models.

Back to suspensions, I am always surprised (but I guess I shouldnt be at this point) at the amount of vitriol that springs up around this topic in threads here. I am perfectly happy with my 2018 Model 3P and my 2022 Model Y P. My wife doesnt complain about the model Y either, after coming from a BMW X3 M40i that we had with the adaptive suspension.

With that being said, does it bother me if someone else doesnt like it? No, and I have no idea why it bothers anyone else when someone likes or doesnt like some specific feature enough to argue about it.

/shrug

At the old $67K price the MYLR has a rough ride compared to the luxury gas SUVs in the same price range. At $50K these days… it’s fine lol.

Every BMW I test drove back in Dec 2022 at the UDE event had pretty stiff suspension except for the iX M60. The other EV with a buttery smooth ride is the F-150 Lightning. The Rivian R1T is a vastly harsher ride in comparison. I suspect I will not like the R1S very much.

I still think the Telluride and Palisade have vastly better rides and suspension than the Model Ys but they are a different type of SUVs.

Reactions: enemji
Not 1 inch lower, more like 1cm lower.
Well, according to Chinese owner's manual of the MY, the ground clearance is 15 mm (almost 2/3") lower on the MYP. The "ride" or "coil" height are 17mm front and 16mm rear lower for MYP.

Kinda splitting hairs here I guess.

For the rear, the suspension parts themselves is actually even shorter, because the factory rear tires are bigger than the front, adding almost 7mm of sidewall. So, 16 + 7 is 23mm, or just about an inch. Can't say I know how it plays into all the dynamics of spirited driving, but I'd guess at the very least, the rear is gonna be stiffer.

That makes for odd changes to the "rake" of the car. From LR to P with factory wheels/tires, it gains slightly more positive rake. The front points down more, because the rear didn't drop as much (-17 front vs -16 mm rear height, so miniscule difference). But if you then put on a square wheel/tire setup it actually becomes less positively raked than the LR as the rear will drop an additional 7mm (-17 vs -23, does it become negatively raked?).

Wait, going square means the motors now spin 1:1 (front:rear) while it was different with the staggered wheels. Hum... what does that do to the computer?

On a side note, the China version of the manual is more informative than the US version. It has some motor specs (outdated?) and alignment values.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hmmwv and jcanoe
I don't really have any harshness issue with my late 2022 china MYP. The ride seems pretty smooth in all conditions to me. What I do have is an annoying knocking noise when going over small imperfections in road surfaces at low speeds. I can not figure out what it is coming from. Has anyone else noticed this while driving a MYP?