Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Compact Space Saver Tire/Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If using the standard 19" OEM Tesla rim, is there a "best" source for the OEM tires?
If stored essentially uninflated, does the tire diameter decrease much for storage?
What compressed air bottle would inflate the tire to proper pressure?
Is there a special tire for the 19" rim that would store more compactly when uninflated?
What is the weight of the 19" standard MS rim, compared to the suggested 18" steel rim?
Can one find an inexpensive OEM tire with a nail type puncture in the tread area, that could
serve as a sufficiently good spare after being plugged, and then patched internally?

- - - Updated - - -

If bought at a Tesla Service Center, what does the standard 19" rim for the MS cost?
Similarly, what does a replacement OEM MS tire cost, if purchased there?

It looks like I will get a rim soon, and will look for a suitable, new or used, tire.
Thanks, Gary

caddieo - I just got mine also...you might think about storing it the other way up, so that you can check tire pressure easily - those compact tires at 60lbs pressure lose pressure very easily, with seasonal temperature change or just over time....If you have to take it out of the car to check pressure you might be tempted to not do it often enough...

caddieo - I just got mine also...you might think about storing it the other way up, so that you can check tire pressure easily - those compact tires at 60lbs pressure lose pressure very easily, with seasonal temperature change or just over time....If you have to take it out of the car to check pressure you might be tempted to not do it often enough...

Thanks for your concern. I check it once a month and it's not really a bother since I position it so that the valve is accessible just by tilting the tire in the frunk without removing it all the way. I also check my regular tires every 2 weeks since I have an air pump that goes to >100 psi in my garage. BTW, I am not really worried about seasonal temperature changes where I live. :biggrin:

Caddieo - good point on seasonal changes...

I have the Fobo tire monitors on my cars, they will send an alert to my phone if the pressure drops 3 lbs, and I can check both cars with a click on the phone...they will be adding a 5th monitor capability, so I'll put one on the spare also...

Thanks JST for pulling together the information, I picked up my spare last week and tried it out without any issues. I actually got a slightly smaller size, T155/70R18 from Maxxis and it didn't set of any warning lights on a short drive around the block.
Lastly, I perfer to put the spare on the rear, as I want to minimize any decrease in braking performance.
image.jpg

Glad to hear it! And the point about braking is a good one.
Agreed, though be aware mismatched tires in the rear are a safety hazard on the highway. You gain some braking ability by putting the spare back there, but lose stability during braking. In town it definitely makes sense. On the highway, I'd weigh the options carefully. My last car actually specified that you should rotate wheels if necessary to get the spare onto the front. Especially on tires of differing sizes... the rear is going to be predisposed to rotate, exactly what you don't want to happen.

I have a never-used and fully-mounted compact spare that I want to sell, built from recommendations from this thread. After all this work, I just decided I really would never need it given my urban setting and proximity to service centers and AAA, etc.

The tire is the larger, sought after, and brand new,155/80 18 that I obtained from another user here. The wheel is BMW X5 compact spare from getBMWparts (part number 36-11-6-768-861), also as listed on this thread. In addition, I have a set of four 74.1 mm to 65 mm centering ring adapters (though you only need one). Though I mounted the tire onto the wheel, I never mounted the wheel onto the car.

I am asking $325, which is significantly less than what I paid. I would much rather not ship if possible, though guess I can. If so, I would charge actual cost for that. I am in West L.A., though I frequent the OC almost every week.

I thought I read the earlier posts carefully, but I can't work out what NTB means.

- - - Updated - - -

The car uses an ABS type sensor to monitor the relative speed of the wheels and can determine when a tire is low by the reduced rev/mile of a lower pressure tire.

How can a low tire revolve fewer times per mile than a fully pressured one? The tread circumference cannot change with tire pressure, so how can rev per mile change?

I thought I read the earlier posts carefully, but I can't work out what NTB means.

- - - Updated - - -

How can a low tire revolve fewer times per mile than a fully pressured one? The tread circumference cannot change with tire pressure, so how can rev per mile change?

It's the name of a chain tire store on the East Coast.

Thanks JST for pulling together the information, I picked up my spare last week and tried it out without any issues. I actually got a slightly smaller size, T155/70R18 from Maxxis and it didn't set of any warning lights on a short drive around the block.
Lastly, I perfer to put the spare on the rear, as I want to minimize any decrease in braking performance.

Do you think this would fit in the smaller frunk of the P85D?

Does anyone know where I can find one of these 155 80 18 compact spares in Oregon? I've contacted every dealer I can think of and nobody has one and they can't even get one for me. Note: I have not yet tried the wrecking yards....

and if you want the whole thing from Bimmerzone, this is the URL:

BMW X3 F25 Spare Tire Kit : Bimmerzone.com

the tire tote (cover) is a nice thing, but don't go for the jack, it won't work on the Tesla, as far as i could see...no jack points like on BMW. I just went to local auto parts store for a good jack and wrench, and tried it while at the store...

You can also make the wheel perfect by getting 74.1 to 65 mm (approx) centering rings to put in the wheel before mounting, but you should be able to mount it just fine without that - it just helps center it until the bolts are tight...(I found some centering rings on eBay, cheap, but took 3 months to arrive!)