Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

compact spare tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, you went mini ProjectFarm on this review. Thank you.

Normally I just use a spare to limp home or to a tire shop but it's good to know that you can use it longer if need be.

65 quarter turns?? Who needs the gym when you can install a spare instead. The auto version of cross-fit!

The included jack for sure is flimsy, just enough to get the job done roadside and not any under the car type work. You're really going to carry the 1.5T floor jack in the car?? Torque wrench, impact gun, toss it in too! :D

mobile-mechanic-3-scaled.jpg
Lol. Dang nice tools! All I have is old Craftsman,HF and HD stuff.
Yes, it was a chore to turn it and I am skipping the gym and will need Tylenol tonight.
Oh yeah, definitely will drag that heavy 33lb jack with me during road trips. Yup, and the 12v impact wrench, too, and torque wrench, and.... :cool:. I already spent a lot of $$ on this readiness, wife says sell the full size spare tire! Hehehe. She's my new boss. I guess I'm getting fired. Ha! I just retired this year from my old job.

• Funny
Reactions: chobra
Addl pics to compare width of OE vs this semi-donut on steroid spare tire.

I installed it before I saw your post, sorry. I think it's almost the same size as modernspare. This one is 155/85/r18 whereas MS is 145/85/r18. So definitely won't fit those locations flat. But the rear bottom cargo, maybe upright? Someone posted a pic here of their MS fitted in that location.
I am keeping it installed to the Y overnight to ensure the rubber has no slow leak with load. Btw, this came with 36psi so ensure to inflate to up to 50psi before storing back to bag.
The GOOD- it fits and it looks great! I ran it for about 4miles and no issues. I didn't get tpms error message. Maybe when I run it farther?
The BAD- although the provided jack is rated 1.5 ton it feels a little bit flimsy. It took about 65 quarter turns(ratchet) to lift the car! I don't think the jack will be OK to use on gravel or road shoulder(hwy). Due to that, I'll just carry a Harbor Freight 1.5t floor jack that's 30+lbs. I think I feel safer with that. Plus it only took 5 pumps to lift the Y and I can use the jack pad!
What if you deflate the spare you think that would fit in back or frunk?

Reactions: Jimboy435
What if you deflate the spare you think that would fit in back or frunk?
The spare is ~28" in diameter. The wheel is 18". I'd expect no gain from deflation but if there was it's still going to ~ 23" in diameter. It's only 6" thick so I'd just toss it in the cargo area and pack around it on a trip. I also wouldn't carry it on the daily commute -- I'd call roadside assistance.

Reactions: Wu01ok
The spare is ~28" in diameter. The wheel is 18". I'd expect no gain from deflation but if there was it's still going to ~ 23" in diameter. It's only 6" thick so I'd just toss it in the cargo area and pack around it on a trip. I also wouldn't carry it on the daily commute -- I'd call roadside assistance.
I’m sort of, of a different mindset.

My job is doing deliveries for a restaurant, so I need the spare for local driving. It takes too much time if I have to wait.

And if I really push it, I could get away without a spare on longer trips. But if I already have a spare for local driving, it wouldn’t make sense to not use it for longer trips.
You can do these...on top or inside.
That second image only works if you have a 7 seater. There isn’t anywhere near enough of a gap behind the second row for 5 seaters.

I just got the spare today and tried different layouts…

For now, I’m putting it in the floor space of the second row while I do deliveries I have crates in the cargo area to hold the deliveries. If I have passengers, I’ll just rearrange my cargo area and put it there.

Later, I might do like this video …

Addl pics to compare width of OE vs this semi-donut on steroid spare tire.

I installed it before I saw your post, sorry. I think it's almost the same size as modernspare. This one is 155/85/r18 whereas MS is 145/85/r18. So definitely won't fit those locations flat. But the rear bottom cargo, maybe upright? Someone posted a pic here of their MS fitted in that location.
I am keeping it installed to the Y overnight to ensure the rubber has no slow leak with load. Btw, this came with 36psi so ensure to inflate to up to 50psi before storing back to bag.
The GOOD- it fits and it looks great! I ran it for about 4miles and no issues. I didn't get tpms error message. Maybe when I run it farther?
The BAD- although the provided jack is rated 1.5 ton it feels a little bit flimsy. It took about 65 quarter turns(ratchet) to lift the car! I don't think the jack will be OK to use on gravel or road shoulder(hwy). Due to that, I'll just carry a Harbor Freight 1.5t floor jack that's 30+lbs. I think I feel safer with that. Plus it only took 5 pumps to lift the Y and I can use the jack pad!
The problem with taking a trolley jack in the car is that you can’t use it if the car is parked by the curb....but all the reviews of scissor jacks I have read are really bad

The problem with taking a trolley jack in the car is that you can’t use it if the car is parked by the curb....but all the reviews of scissor jacks I have read are really bad
Scissor jacks are terrible, compared to a floor jack. But they get the job done in a pinch. Since its paired with a compact spare, that's all that really matters, right?

Scissor jacks are terrible, compared to a floor jack. But they get the job done in a pinch. Since its paired with a compact spare, that's all that really matters, right?
The reviews I’ve read (including the ones that come with the spare wheel kit) aren’t good...they collapse or fail to lift. The problem is getting a strong scissor jack, low profile with the adapter to fit the hockey puck. The adapter to fit the puck might have to be homemade with some cutting and welding....however finding a good jack might be like looking for the Holy Grail

The reviews I’ve read (including the ones that come with the spare wheel kit) aren’t good...they collapse or fail to lift. The problem is getting a strong scissor jack, low profile with the adapter to fit the hockey puck. The adapter to fit the puck might have to be homemade with some cutting and welding....however finding a good jack might be like looking for the Holy Grail
You don’t need to fit the hockey puck.

The hockey puck is good for two things, using as a locator and as a non-marring interface between the jack and car. Both of these things can be taken care of by using anything that doesn’t mar and simply LOOKING at where you’re putting it.

The puck is a convenience, not a necessity. You are overthinking it with making an adapter.

As for reviews. Well, the eBay ones are one thing, I’m not a fan of eBay in general. I got the Modern Spare from Amazon which have not mentioned the jack failing in the reviews.

Wow, now I regret buying the modern spare kit. Was looking at another another spare tire kit on ebay that I bought for another car that was pretty good, but it's not compatible with the P trim but the one you posted is (like the modern spare version).

I even prefer the scissor jack pad on the one you posted over the modern spare. The center bore size is correct, I'm surprised. And it has a slighter taller tire (that I prefer) than the modern spare version.

Not compatible with P trim: SPARE TIRE 18" WITH JACK FITS:2020-2023 TESLA MODEL Y (NON PERFORMANCE VERSION) | eBay

Compatible with P trim (your version\link): Complete Spare Tire Kit 18" Wheel Jack Tools Carrying Case for Tesla Model Y TMY | eBay

Compatible with P trim: Spare Tire Kit Options - Fits 2020-2023 Tesla Model Y - Modern Spare | eBay
The second and third option mentioned above includes a scissor jack with a built-in rubber pad that’s good enough for a quick roadside tire swap. Not to work under the car, definitely not safe enough for that type of repair.

You can also contact roadside assistance and have them use their floor jack to install the spare so you can get home without opting for the tow. Some roadside dispatches carry the floor jack without being an actual tow truck, so you can get back on the road faster than waiting for a tow.

Last edited:
Reactions: justlikeyours
Looking at one of these. Half the price of a "modernspare" thoughts?
T145/D80/R18
View attachment 836845
Goodyear convenience spare T145/D80/R18

I'm curious if you ever used this. I see they aren't on Ebay anymore, and I also note that tire dimension is -3.2% below EOM. Almost certainly going to set off the "uneven tire size/wear" alert. I mean who cares, but still. But you tell me: Have you used it yet?

As noted the pucks are optional*. More important is getting a jack without a slot or other optimization for a non-Tesla.

*Tesla mobile service doesn't use them. Your random tire shop doesn't use them. A service center might have an optimized lift.
Just had my tires replaced due to a puncture in the sidewall....luckily it was a very slow leak so I was able to drive to and from the Midas shop (because it took them three days to get the tires)...but they also didn’t have the pucks..but they did ask me for them...so at least they had the Tesla experience. This was in France, and they will not change only one tire...has to be a pair (luckily they didn’t want to change all four...which caused a big argument in another tire shop with my Subaru Forester when I went in for one tire and they insisted I get four..had to sign a waver just to get out the door)

which caused a big argument in another tire shop with my Subaru Forester when I went in for one tire and they insisted I get four..had to sign a waver just to get out the door)
AWD tend to be unhappy when there's an imbalance with the tires.

from Subaru owner's manual said:
When replacing or installing tire(s), all four tires must be the same for the following items.
(a) Size
(b) Speed symbol
(c) Load index
(d) Circumference
(e) Construction
(f) Manufacturer
(g) Brand (tread pattern)
(h) Degrees of wear
For items (a) to (c), you must obey the specification that is printed on the tire inflation pressure label. The tire inflation pressure label is located on the driver’s door pillar.
If all four tires are not the same in items (a) to (h), serious mechanical damage could be caused to the drivetrain of the car, and affect the followings.
– Ride
– Handling
– Braking
– Speedometer/Odometer calibration
– Clearance between the body and the tires
It also may be dangerous and lead to loss of vehicle control, and it can lead to an accident.

Specific to this post is (h) and the best way to deal with it is to replace all four... unless you want to (can) have a new tire (or two) shaved down.

mind you a Tesla isn’t really subject to most of that AWD same size tire deal. 3 and y, at the least, have open differentials front and back, and of course aren’t connected at all front axle to back. Not that this won’t upset traction control, anti-spin, and etc, just that there isn’t really anything that’s going to break.

or so I understand…. thoughts?

mind you a Tesla isn’t really subject to most of that AWD same size tire deal. 3 and y, at the least, have open differentials front and back, and of course aren’t connected at all front axle to back. Not that this won’t upset traction control, anti-spin, and etc, just that there isn’t really anything that’s going to break.

or so I understand…. thoughts?
Pretty much.
I’m not saying I was in the right...just that four tires...when you need one...is really expensive
But it gives backing to why they can’t “simply” let you have only one.

There’s an issue with what you saying “needing one” is. Because as mentioned in the manual, you “need” all four to be replaced. But you “want” only one.

How many miles/kilometers on all 4?

Tires on each axle should have approximately the same tread depth. Rear tires should have deeper tread depth than front tires.
Getting back to my Tesla M3LR with Michelin PS4 tires...the car was on its original tires at 14000 miles...with plenty of tread left...when I got a screw in the sidewall (actually it was just at the edge of the tread) of the rear drivers side...the car warned me of the slow leak (what a great feature !)...Midas took the wheel off to find the hole (it was on the side next to the car, so difficult to spot with the wheel on)...they ordered two new tires for the rear axel and put the old wheel back on...reinflated them and I drove the ten miles home and parked up for three days (inflating the tire at regular intervals) then drove back to get them installed...I kept the other tire as a spare...but unless I have the same circumstances, it’s difficult to envisage when a spare tire at home will help me the next time i have a flat

Getting back to my Tesla M3LR with Michelin PS4 tires...the car was on its original tires at 14000 miles...with plenty of tread left...when I got a screw in the sidewall (actually it was just at the edge of the tread) of the rear drivers side...the car warned me of the slow leak (what a great feature !)...Midas took the wheel off to find the hole (it was on the side next to the car, so difficult to spot with the wheel on)...they ordered two new tires for the rear axel and put the old wheel back on...reinflated them and I drove the ten miles home and parked up for three days (inflating the tire at regular intervals) then drove back to get them installed...I kept the other tire as a spare...but unless I have the same circumstances, it’s difficult to envisage when a spare tire at home will help me the next time i have a flat
14000miles is a lot of wear, regardless of "plenty of dread left." Did the shop show you tread depth measurements?