Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison of OEM Aero vs Signature Forged 18inch Wheels: Weight | Range | Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some background:

- Model 3 Non-AWD
- 3 out of 4 wheels bent during a road trip to Santa Barbara, Tesla wouldn't replace them
- suspected autopilot is challenging for any bad road since it only knows to stay within its lanes
- crucial to have stronger wheels otherwise not safe with these Aero cast wheels IMO

Purpose is to have stronger wheels than our aero stock, i don't want to go wider and lose range. I decided to go with Signature SV902 in matte black in 18x8.5 so I can reuse stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45/18. This way I can keep Model 3 design intact with same wheel diameter and width. Also I can do a apple to apple compairson.

OEM Aero vs Signature Forged 18inch SV902 Wheels

Weight (Wheel Only)
Aero: 23lb
Signature SV902: 17.5lb

Weight (With Michelin Primacy 235/45/18)
Aero: 49.5lb
Signature SV902: 44lb

Range
Aero: 244 Wh/mi (7750 miles testing)
Signature SV902: 226 Wh/mi (100 miles testing so far, will continue updating)

- I have only driven 100 miles after putting them on, so I will keep updating this thread.
- after 22lb reduction of unsprung weight, the car definitely felt lighter, noticeable pickup speed right off the line
- forged should be stronger, but need to take another road trip soon to test it out

Since I took the time and money trying to improve our beloved Model 3, I want to share the datas with the forum members. Any comments or input are welcome. Below are some photos, thanks for reading.

photo.jpeg

photo (1).jpeg

photo (2).jpeg

What's your mix of city vs. highway (high-speed) driving? The claim is that the aero wheels help aerodynamics, but that effect is most important at highway speeds, not driving around town at 20 mph.

Good question, I should've included this information. I am about 30/70 city vs highway, that aero cap is too much of an eye sore, I just can't do it no more, LOL!

Quickly used some calculators. I might have screwed this up.
Assuming: 10kg spinning @ radius of 8 inches (this is obviously approximate and probably overestimates the energy of the additional spinning weight?)
At 60mph, vehicle speed in ft/s is at: 88ft/sec, wheel circumference is 6.89ft, so 12.77rev/sec
Angular velocity: 80.2rad/sec
Moment of inertia: m*r^2 = 10kg*0.2m^2 = 0.4kg*m^2
Rotational KE: 0.5*I*omega^2 = 0.5 * 0.4kg/m^2 * 80.2^2/sec = 1286kg*m^2/s^2 = 1286joules

KE of vehicle at 60mph is 1/2*m*v^2 = 1/2*4100lbs*60mph^2 = 669kJ

So an additional 0.2% improvement beyond the weight savings if you lose that rotating weight?

Please correct obvious errors here. Maybe I'm off by a factor of 10 somewhere? I don't have a feel for what is reasonable, though it seems like the answer would be a small (but significant if you're racing!) effect. This answer due to rotational KE only would drop ~10ms off the 0-60. The weight would be an additional 20ms (0.54% of 3.6s), so total would be 30ms better 0-60. That's not nothing!

Some results from people here suggest it could be more like 100ms though (could be vehicle variation or driver weight though). But maybe calculations above are wrong.

Last edited: