Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I note that the USB icon doesn't appear until it (guessing) loads up the index, which may be the reason it doesn't go back to USB automatically and just shows me a Tidal QR code. It's like the music subsystem boots before the USB index is loaded, and loses track of the fact that it was the last thing playing.
Somewhere in the last few years this has been the case. My USB drive almost never had to re-index in the old days. Now it does it every time I get in the car.

And don't forget if you are playing cross albums then the dash cover art will be what you first started playing and that is it. I have not tried the USB voice command hack to see if that can reset it, but it's worth a shot I guess.

Somewhere in the last few years this has been the case. My USB drive almost never had to re-index in the old days. Now it does it every time I get in the car.
Wow: re-indexing every time you get in the card is, well, painful. I have over 12K songs on my drive so it takes a few minutes to index, but the only time it re-indexes is when I physically remove the drive from the vehicle for updates.

Wow: re-indexing every time you get in the card is, well, painful. I have over 12K songs on my drive so it takes a few minutes to index, but the only time it re-indexes is when I physically remove the drive from the vehicle for updates.
I am assuming it's re-indexing but maybe it's something else. It is not accessible though for a few minutes, so it's doing something. I agree it used to only re-index if I pulled it out. And in the beginning we had to rename the folder the music was stored in or else it would not see new tracks.

I am assuming it's re-indexing but maybe it's something else. It is not accessible though for a few minutes, so it's doing something. I agree it used to only re-index if I pulled it out. And in the beginning we had to rename the folder the music was stored in or else it would not see new tracks.

A few minutes seems long. In my M3, I am assuming what is happening is that it is mounting to USB drive. It takes a frustrating few seconds when I get in, and I also think that's why it will fail to resume : it tries but the drive isn't mounted (yet) so falls back to a different source. I keep the dashcam playback icon pinned to the screen : it always has a red X for the same time I can't get to USB music. Once the dashcam playback is available so is USB music.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe your USB drive is super slow (or, super slow in the Tesla). I'm using a Samsung 840 SSD. Hardly fast by today's SSD standards, but faster than thumb drives.

If your drive really is being indexed you should be to select the USB source and then you'll see the UI that displays indexing progress. If that's the case then your car is definitely doing something that mine is not.

Could you try a new drive? If it is still re-indexing, then something is wrong somewhere. Since thumb drives are a little cheaper than a new car, this is the first step I would take.

Could you try a new drive? If it is still re-indexing, then something is wrong somewhere. Since thumb drives are a little cheaper than a new car, this is the first step I would take.
It's probably not indexing as I don't see the usual progress bar like I would if I unplugged it. Don't forget I am on MCU1/AP1, so I don't have much horsepower and I don't have Sentry Mode. But Tesla never disconnected my USB drive before until last years FW update.

At this point I fairly happy with the workings of the USB for music except for the cover art not changing on the dash screen. As far as the USB not resuming on car start: I have watched the car startup process. Heck, most of the time my dash takes 30 seconds to be available. Another feature introduced a few FW updates away.

Even after the dash is alive it usually takes about another 30 seconds or so for the USB drive to appear at the bottom of the center display. Prior to this if you select the music sources there is no USB. So it does not appear to be re-indexing but just that Tesla is taking their sweat time to attach it to the car.

During this time I am getting settled into the car and if at home, backing up, so music is not high on my priority list. And once I am underway and feeling ready for music, a simple request with "USB" is all that is required for it to resume where I last left it. Ironically if I exit the car with the USB streaming and come back, the car has picked the last streaming source that I used and starts playback from there.

Nope: the car doesn't have enough bandwidth to support the HiFi or Master streaming
TIDAL/Tesla only offers HiFi quality in the car, MASTER is not available.

My understanding is TIDAL's HiFi and MASTER are lossless. HiFi tracks are only available in the car when connected to WiFi (which has plenty of bandwidth) or the track is "downloaded". In either case cellular "streaming" bandwidth is irrelevant.

What makes you think the HiFi files that are downloaded are less the 16/44.1? GreenTheOnly could get a hold of one, but it would be encrypted. How else could this be verified?

TIDAL/Tesla only offers HiFi quality in the car, MASTER is not available.

My understanding is TIDAL's HiFi and MASTER are lossless. HiFi tracks are only available in the car when connected to WiFi (which has plenty of bandwidth) or the track is "downloaded". In either case cellular "streaming" bandwidth is irrelevant.
Then this is a change and I stand corrected (thank you). My understanding in the earlier days of TIDAL/Tesla this was not the case.

But this points out that to get the HiFi tracks, you have to go through the steps to connect to your phone's hotspot each time you drive, which to me is a PITA and I personally wouldn't be doing. YMMV

I was curious and looked it up
HiFi is 1411 Kbps
Master is 2304-9216 Kbps
Yes that correlates.
HiFi (or CD quality) is 2 channels, 16 bit words, 44.1 KHz sampling rate.
2 x 16 x 44100 = 1411.2 Kbps

That said, your right, downloading is a limitation.
I typically create playlists, download them, and then I'm set.
I find I am using my USB music less and less, because TIDAL sounds so good (to me).

Perhaps this is a question for another thread but do USB music sticks work in new Model Y's, because I cannot get mine to work, even in the glovebox USB-A port.

Last edited:
Yes that correlates.
HiFi (or CD quality) is 2 channels, 16 bit words, 44.1 KHz sampling rate.
2 x 16 x 44100 = 1411.2 Kbps

That said, your right, downloading is a limitation.
I typically create playlists, download them, and then I'm set.
I find I am using my USB music less and less, because TIDAL sounds so good (to me).

Perhaps this is a question for another thread but do USB music sticks work in new Model Y's, because I cannot get mine to work, even in the glovebox USB-A port.
I keep forgetting this thread is in the S forum...

Then this is a change and I stand corrected (thank you). My understanding in the earlier days of TIDAL/Tesla this was not the case.

But this points out that to get the HiFi tracks, you have to go through the steps to connect to your phone's hotspot each time you drive, which to me is a PITA and I personally wouldn't be doing. YMMV

Tidal auto downloads stuff in your collection in HiFi (when those tracks are available in HiFi in the first place) when you're connected to wifi.

Has anyone found any good ID3 tag editors that can auto sweep through a library and fix it so that albums aren't split into multiple albums via artist?

I'd much rather search work again but it seems obvious, 3 years later, Tesla is NEVER going to fix this. The old USB player was so awesome. Stuff showed up in search, music was grouped correctly, and you could scroll a tiled albmum art list getting through hundreds of albums way faster than a single linear list. Artwork is now gone. It's just text. Scrolling down hundreds of albums and then right into one and then left back out just puts you all the way back at the top of the list.

I really wish we had v8 back. The overall interface was so much better.....not just for USB music.