Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found any good ID3 tag editors that can auto sweep through a library and fix it so that albums aren't split into multiple albums via artist?

Sorry, what do you mean by "fix it so that albums aren't split into multiple albums via artist?"

FYI: My go to tag editor has been Mp3tag for decades, Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)
It supports batch tag-editing of ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, iTunes MP4, WMA, Vorbis Comments and APE.

Sorry, what do you mean by "fix it so that albums aren't split into multiple albums via artist?"

Any compilation album, which 90% of mine are and I have 500+ albums, split each song into it's own album and shows the album title but not the song or songs so there's no way for me to get to pretty much anything.

Before 3 years ago, albums were grouped by albums and not anything else and each album was displayed as poster art in a grid making it super fast to scroll to any album. As good as that was, it wasn't even necessary because voice search showed USB matches first. You could even launch songs or albums by voice search and they'd start playback from USB.
i-gtzBck9[1].jpgi-hp98SfX[1].jpgi-Hcn9Gxc[1].jpgi-4q7VL5W[1].jpgi-5nQtSFq[1].jpg

Any compilation album, which 90% of mine are and I have 500+ albums, split each song into it's own album and shows the album title but not the song or songs so there's no way for me to get to pretty much anything.

Before 3 years ago, albums were grouped by albums and not anything else and each album was displayed as poster art in a grid making it super fast to scroll to any album. As good as that was, it wasn't even necessary because voice search showed USB matches first. You could even launch songs or albums by voice search and they'd start playback from USB.
View attachment 887176View attachment 887177View attachment 887178View attachment 887179View attachment 887180
The beauty of Tesla's updates. All that stuff is gone now. The ONLY way to get an album not to be split up is to have a single artist for the entire album.

So for example: "La La Land Artists" for every track in that album.

And don't think about Album Artist, because Tesla never, ever, supported that one.

The beauty of Tesla's updates. All that stuff is gone now. The ONLY way to get an album not to be split up is to have a single artist for the entire album.

So for example: "La La Land Artists" for every track in that album.

And don't think about Album Artist, because Tesla never, ever, supported that one.

Not for browsing, but in search, if you spoke an artist name in voice search, it would show individual tracks from artists in compilation albums from USB.

It looked and functioned way better way back then and was far more intuitive. Playing anything from USB required barely any attention. I could get to anything and start it within maybe 2 second worth of glance at the screen or not at all if the voice search was very specific. It NOW takes me sometimes several minutes of looking at the screen while driving on auto pilot to get to what once took seconds and didn't even need to see the screen.

Not for browsing, but in search, if you searched for an artist, it would show individual tracks from artists in compilation albums.
Yeah. But having the albums chopped up for browsing and playback was my bigger problem, so I negated the value of search with the single artist hack.

And it is too bad you cannot get any voice search with USB music. Now I am stuck with a stupid favorites (I need to clean out) that is some streaming rapper song with a title USB in it. 🤢

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
Another problematic bug I have discovered in the current, V10, USB player: In the Album view, if you select and entry far down the list (for the sake of argument, let's say items beginning with 'T'), you are taken into the album's contents. If you then press the 'Back' button, you are not returned bck to the place in the Album list from where you selected the Album beginning with 'T', but rather you are taken back to near the top of the Album list, thus losing your place in the list.

Maybe you selected the wrong item in the list, you aren't placed "Back" to the same place where you can reselect; no, you are thrown back to the top of the list. This is devastating when you have over hundreds of albums like I do.

It's obvious to me that when Tesla released V10 for the vertical-screened Model S, they replaced the USB player with a complete rewrite of the player, losing/ignoring all the correctly working features and replaced it with a complete disaster.

EDIT: I now see that @sorka mentioned this same problem in this post.

Another problematic bug I have discovered in the current, V10, USB player: In the Album view, if you select and entry far down the list (for the sake of argument, let's say items beginning with 'T'), you are taken into the album's contents. If you then press the 'Back' button, you are not returned bck to the place in the Album list from where you selected the Album beginning with 'T', but rather you are taken back to near the top of the Album list, thus losing your place in the list.

Maybe you selected the wrong item in the list, you aren't placed "Back" to the same place where you can reselect; no, you are thrown back to the top of the list. This is devastating when you have over hundreds of albums like I do.

It's obvious to me that when Tesla released V10 for the vertical-screened Model S, they replaced the USB player with a complete rewrite of the player, losing/ignoring all the correctly working features and replaced it with a complete disaster.

EDIT: I now see that @sorka mentioned this same problem in this post.

I've mentioned this so many times I've lost count. With the foldering logic broken and most albums displaying many duplicate albums, it's impossible to see which duplicate album has the title you want so you have to go "back" but now you're scrolled to the top potentially having to scroll hundreds of items that are now thousands because my 500+ albums are now displayed as 3000+ albums on average.

I've mentioned this so many times I've lost count. With the foldering logic broken and most albums displaying many duplicate albums, it's impossible to see which duplicate album has the title you want so you have to go "back" but now you're scrolled to the top potentially having to scroll hundreds of items that are now thousands because my 500+ albums are now displayed as 3000+ albums on average.
The USB player interface has been pathetic from day one.
Five years ago I asked for playlist support...
The days of asking for, let alone getting, changes are long gone.
I doubt the USB player interface will ever get any attention.
Why would it?
Apple Music is what people want.
Nobody listens to FLAC files anymore.
Few even know how shitty lossy music sounds.
USB Music will be dropped soon I'm guessing.
Thank gosh for TIDAL lossless!
"The best process is no process"

Five years ago I asked for playlist support...
The days of asking for, let alone getting, changes are long gone.
I doubt the USB player interface will ever get any attention.
Why would it?
Nobody listens to FLAC files anymore.
Few even know how shitty lossy music sounds.
USB Music will be dropped soon I'm guessing.
Thank gosh for TIDAL lossless!
"The best process is no process"

Admittedly I use Tidal in my Tesla more often than USB currently but that's just because USB is so broken. I still use USB for that stuff I have that Tidal doesn't have.

Sound quality isn't good enough with Spotify or any other streaming service. It will be interesting to see how Apple Music fairs. It should be higher bitrates than Spotify.

I was briefly excited to see Apple Music, because I have my personal library uploaded there. But nope, my personal uploads don't appear when I go looking for them via the car's interface. :-(

Edited to add: by "my personal uploads" I mean, my uniquely personal ones. The things that matched to something in Apple's public holdings appear just fine (as far as a spot check shows, anyway), but the things that exist in my library and nowhere else, just aren't there.

Last edited:
I have too many albums to view by albums. I view by Artist, when i select an artist I see a list of the albums by that artist. Tap the album, then tap track 1 to start playing. But that's how I think about music anyhow, and I want all my devices to work that way: this isn't putting up with Tesla, it's just how I think it should be.

For albums with tracks by different artists I have the album artist set of "Various Artists" or "Soundtrack". However, when I copy music to the SSD for the car I have all of the Artist fields overwritten with whatever is in "Album Artist". I don't think that there is any avoiding that if you have multi-artist albums and want to play albums.

A related issue: You are playing album 1 of a set of three after a resume (using USB command). Album ends. You press the Back button hoping it will show the Albums, it does, but it goes to the top of the list vs going to the album you are on so you can easily just select the next one. :mad:

I have too many albums to view by albums. I view by Artist, when i select an artist I see a list of the albums by that artist. Tap the album, then tap track 1 to start playing. But that's how I think about music anyhow, and I want all my devices to work that way: this isn't putting up with Tesla, it's just how I think it should be.

For albums with tracks by different artists I have the album artist set of "Various Artists" or "Soundtrack". However, when I copy music to the SSD for the car I have all of the Artist fields overwritten with whatever is in "Album Artist". I don't think that there is any avoiding that if you have multi-artist albums and want to play albums.

For me, most of them are soundtracks that are compilations. Also, if USB music was as good as it used to be, I'd have no need for premium connectivity. It may very well be that Tesla doesn't have any motivation to fix this as it would reduce revenue sharing with AT&T.

I was curious and looked it up
HiFi is 1411 Kbps
Master is 2304-9216 Kbps
Yes that correlates.
HiFi (or CD quality) is 2 channels, 16 bit words, 44.1 KHz sampling rate.
2 x 16 x 44100 = 1411.2 Kbps

Here are some comparisons of bit rate for the various sources on our Teslas.

TIDAL wins by a long shot amongst streamers.

Five years ago I asked TESLA for USB playlist support...

Speaking of playlist support, I have recently (mostly) solved my long standing problem of playlist support.
After some research, I stumbled upon this MUSCONV app, Transfer Your Playlists, Albums Between 50+ Music Services.
MUSCONV is a Windows app (fat client) that converts (and syncs) playlists from various sources.

I used it to transfer my PC based Playlists to TIDAL.
I use JRiver Media Center as my music manager on my Windows PC.
I exported each playlist in CSV format from JMC and then imported to MUSCONV.
MUSCONV does a good job of fuzzy searching for songs in your playlist on the destination service.
It uses 4 fields: Track, Album, Artist, and Duration to search.
Then I transferred the newly created playlists in TIDAL to Spotify.
I have both. TIDAL for HiFi, Spotify to sync with my son and easiliy throw music to network devices like TVs).
MUSCONV supports over 40 music services, including Apple Music, YouTube Music, and Amazon Music, etc.
It is a bit temperamental, but it works!

Using TIDAL, I now have all (99.99999%) my music at a minimum of CD quality in all my cars (Teslas), Master quality on my phones and PCs, and Dolby Atmos Music in the Home Theatre (via the TIDAL client on Amazon's stick. Roku's TIDAL client does not support Dolby Atmos) .

I would use USB music in the car if the player was better.
There are so many features that I miss in all these players.
One that I will mention, we had on the first hard drive based RIO car head unit was called "pivot".
RIO was a LINUX based head unit from England in 1998, one of the first that had (two) laptop hard drives and FLAC support.
While listening to a multi artist playlist on the RIO you could "pivot' from that song, out of the playlist, to the next song on the Album the song came from. Or the next song from that Artist... Or... Or...
There are so many features that could be easily added to make a capable music player...but alas :|

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
Anyone noticed that the shuffle button seems to have vanished in the releases that have moved the "mini-player" to the bottom left of the screen?
If you pull up on the "mini-player" the shuffle button will appear along with other options... (I think you can, also, close the "mini-player" and the controls, including shuffle, will show up in the main player.)

Reactions: Kevy Baby
it's just so annoying and frustrating that Tesla feels the need to hide so many controls behind a menu or dropdown (or a pop up/swipe up in this case)! do they not drive the damn car when changing things? this is all pretty easy to play with when at a desk but i'm driving a 2 ton auto amongst lots of other 2-ton autos. not good.

bring back V10 and call it retro mode. now.

I was happy to get the Apple Music app but its operation is a bit of a mixed bag. All Apple Music playlists play without problems but playlists I have made (a mix of older RIPPED tracks with some Apple Music tracks) have playback problems. A track will play a couple of seconds then immediately skip to the next track for a couple of seconds to the next track and so on till it finds one it is willing to stream. This may or may not be either an Apple Music track or on of my RIPPED tracks. All of the latter were ripped at 256kbps. End result is, if I want to listen to one of my playlists I will play it from the Apple Music app on my phone. That way works as it has always done. The app needs more work.