Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you please at least test with power saving mode off so that we have another data point if this is actually related? I'll gladly send you a dime to cover the costs :)
Power saving mode off = USB drive did not require rebuilding.

Also noticed that power saving mode on + charging also preserves it. If it doesn't work tomorrow morning (power saving off, not charging overnight) I will report back

"Bring back the USB music 'browse' view with multiple hierarchical columns"
After struggling yesterday once again to play a USB album due to impossibility of swiping, I realized how effective the multi-column browse view of the hierarchical view of the USB music library was in 7.1 & prior releases. With multiple columns of different lists of data shown, you could easily swipe right or left to get to the list that you want to scroll to up & down or just view. Seeing and moving between Artist/Album/Song list from right to left was so much better than the new UI (even if the new UI had not introduced all of the brand new bugs).
I think that this view along with either Alpha keys (which are available for any of the columns) would be a usable system back to what we had in 7.x. Also, an alternative that I had tried that many music systems use is a draggable scroll bar on the right. Works great on phone music players, could be very effective on the Tesla.

"Bring back the USB music 'browse' view with multiple hierarchical columns"

I think that this view along with either Alpha keys (which are available for any of the columns) would be a usable system back to what we had in 7.x. Also, an alternative that I had tried that many music systems use is a draggable scroll bar on the right. Works great on phone music players, could be very effective on the Tesla.

+1! I too have struggled with the new two column interface and I yearn for the good old days from two weeks ago when I could browse my whole library of 50K tracks on the touch screen.
This push for a fresh/clean/flat interface is totally misguided. The media player is where I want/need rich information. I've spent too many hours meticulously tagging files just to have a developer decide that they know what's best. Hyperlink the Artist and Album fields as another navigation aid - please.

Reactions: jgs and David29
+1! I too have struggled with the new two column interface and I yearn for the good old days from two weeks ago when I could browse my whole library of 50K tracks on the touch screen.
This push for a fresh/clean/flat interface is totally misguided. The media player is where I want/need rich information. I've spent too many hours meticulously tagging files just to have a developer decide that they know what's best. Hyperlink the Artist and Album fields as another navigation aid - please.
Yes, it needs a play down from here option on this as well.

Power saving mode off = USB drive did not require rebuilding.

Also noticed that power saving mode on + charging also preserves it. If it doesn't work tomorrow morning (power saving off, not charging overnight) I will report back
Here's a hypothesis. Is it possible that the memory is powered by 12v battery? And that if energy savings mode on and/or shore power available (I.e., plugged in) that the 12v rarely sleeps ergo USB memory retained most of the time? Would also explain why sometimes it isn't.

Right, IIRC the issue is WAV is an older intermediate file type and there were never firm standards created for it with ID3 tagging that came after. Some tagging tools will allow adding and manipulating tags into WAV files, and those WAV will generally still play (I have one such file I built for testing what does and does not work with new firmware in my MS), but most players just ignore any tags in .wav as @tmarcc suggests.

Even though Tesla has never officially documented which formats are supported, it's likely time for you to consider migrating your WAVs to more robust and widely supported MP3 (or M4A) lossy formats so you can at least make full use of tagging. Better yet, use FLAC, AIFF or M4A Apple Lossless for new tracks you buy/create now that storage space is as cheap as it is. Just note lossless formats are more problematic with consistent support across devices and players, e.g. FLAC & AIFF work in a Tesla but are not natively supported by iTunes, whereas M4A Lossless works in iTunes but Tesla does not support it. Yes, it's crazy -- I just batch convert my M4A lossless to FLAC for use with my Tesla -- it's quick since they are essentially the same quality-wise.

So the track title has the track number and/or the filename has the track number?
Yes to both. I originally did it to ensure that CDs, especially ripped audio book CDs, would play correctly on my tiny SanDisk Clip MP3 player. But it also worked well for USB playback in cars.

I preferred the LEAF playback since it would cycle though all my albums in order (I could skip or choose albums, if I preferred, of course). With Tesla it only plays the album/folder selected, over and over, until I select another. And I can't skip forward or back between albums from the steering wheel, as I could with the LEAF. I do like and use the Tesla alphabet letter list to skip to albums by alphabetical order, which is apparently missing from 8.0. Another reason I refuse to update.

Last edited:
Yes to both. I originally did it to ensure that CDs, especially ripped audio book CDs, would play correctly on my tiny SanDisk Clip MP3 player. But it also worked well for USB playback in cars.

I preferred the LEAF playback since it would cycle though all my albums in order (I could skip or choose albums, if I preferred, of course). With Tesla it only plays the album/folder selected, over and over, until I select another. And I can't skip forward or back between albums from the steering wheel, as I could with the LEAF. I do like and use the Tesla alphabet letter list to skip to albums by alphabetical order, which is apparently missing from 8.0. Another reason I refuse to update.
Yes, I have the first hard drive based MP3 player ever to hit the market, and that's how it did playback. It simply played through your tree, but would play the albums by track number before moving onto the next folder.

I've finally managed to get my USB music working the way I like. The three biggest issues I had were

1. The shortcuts to different letters of the alphabet were gone, making scrolling through my folders impossibly painful.
2. The time it took to load the USB drive on startup.
3. The way the new interface arranged tracks alphabetically by track name.

There were numerous other peeves (all documented here) but those three were the big issues.

I got around the first issue by creating subfolders. All my subfolders fit onto a single screen - so scrolling is no longer a problem.
The load time was fixed by turning off the energy saver mode.
In order to get around the track order issue, I picked up "Music Tag Editor" from the Mac App Store. It costs around $6 and it allows us to use the file name as the track name. After this change, tracks play in the order I intended. Unfortunately this app is Apple-only. I do not see a PC version of this.

- RM

In order to get around the track order issue, I picked up "Music Tag Editor" from the Mac App Store. It costs around $6 and it allows us to use the file name as the track name. After this change, tracks play in the order I intended. Unfortunately this app is Apple-only. I do not see a PC version of this.
What did it do exactly from before? My files are all named nn track name where nn is 01-0n based on track order. Is that what Music Tag Editor did?

BTW I use DBPowerapp to rip my files and that is what it id. Used on Windows.

I'm still on 7.1. I have a much smaller library than others in this thread - I only started ripping my CDs to FLAC in anticipation of getting my Model S. (I would just play my actual CDs previously, both in my vehicle or in my computer at work.)

I use Slacker and Tune In and sometimes conventional radio, particularly for sports, in addition to my USB. Often, I go back to a source from the Recently Played list. In 7.1 this list includes every track I've played from the USB. So if I listen to a Slacker "channel" then listen to the USB for a while I have to scroll through dozens of tracks to get back to find the Slacker channel. Additionally, sometimes a track might have an inappropriate name which I don't want displayed with my children in the car. I'd be much happier if that listening was summarized in a single entry like USB1/[folder] or even just USB1.

Does anyone else find this annoying and poorly designed?

Is it better with 8.0?

Exactly, he should not have had to do anything. This really bothers me
I totally agree, on principle it is total BS, but we may have to batten down the hatches for a while. With investment of a few minutes time, @raghumani has pragmatically avoided hours of frustration. Workarounds are one of the values of the forum. Probably shouldn't be, but they are.

What did it do exactly from before? My files are all named nn track name where nn is 01-0n based on track order. Is that what Music Tag Editor did?

BTW I use DBPowerapp to rip my files and that is what it id. Used on Windows.

In this particular music tag editor, you have an option to use the file name as the track name. So, if you track name is <track-name> and the file name is <nn> <track name>. It will change the title tag to be <nn> <track-name>.

Since the track number is a prefix of your file name the songs play in the right order. The software is called "Music Tag Editor". Link given below.

Music Tag Editor on the Mac App Store

Until Tesla fixes its software, this will keep me somewhat happy. BTW - anyone hear from Tesla yet? I got a couple of "we are looking into it" responses (little more than form letters) but nothing else.

- RM

Exactly, he should not have had to do anything. This really bothers me

Frankly it is not that painful. Reorganizing my music took me around 30 minutes or so. The music was all there - all I needed to do was to create subfolders. I picked up the energy saver mode tip from this forum. As regards Music Tag Editor, you load your entire library into it. Then in the Title Field of any track, check the box that says "Use File name" and check the box that says "Apply to All". Then do a "Save All". Saving something like 9000 tracks takes around 20 minutes or so.

All told, I spent an hour at most reorganizing my music. Not an ideal solution but at least my music loads instantly and plays in my chosen order. I do understand the sentiment that Tesla should fix their software. I have spent more time than I care to think about complaining to Tesla about this issue (so far, to no avail) and searching various forums for potential workarounds. That took a lot longer than implementing the fix!

- RM

Reactions: X Fan
...BTW - anyone hear from Tesla yet? I got a couple of "we are looking into it" responses (little more than form letters) but nothing else.

- RM
My MS has been sitting, waiting for its first annual service at the SvC now for a week. As previously posted, I have 3 issues re USB 8.0 on my Service Invoice (and I fully expect nothing more but "it will be resolved in a future firmware update".) Of possible note though, is I've received 4 firmware updates from my MS as being available (but not installed) since it's been parked at the SvC in the last week, so what those may be, IDK. This past weekend, I spent a couple hours building nearly 3 dozen test tracks to hopefully figure out more precisely where Album Art is broken for me. As soon as I get my MS back, I'll post back what Tesla officially says, as well as results of my latest tests.