Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect it has everything to do with how Tesla does their scanning process and then deals with dupes in the way they internally store mapping/linkage data back to the USB device, specifically with differences between both our directory structure and total bytes of each and every directory name, filename, ALBUM, TRACKNAME, TRACKARTIST, & GENRE tags. What can I say, but I suspect mine are bigger than yours. :p :oops:

...but it's also why I just don't even consider total size of a music library (in GB) when folks start quoting that as some point of reference in threads like this. The physical space the complete library consumes on the USB device likely has little if anything to do with MCU/CID memory consumption and time to scan, compared to the number and length-in-characters of all the "things" there are, when you think of how the programming may be done inside Media Player.
Yes, directory structure might be the difference. As mentioned upthread my structure is music/artist/albumname and I have many tags with about 25% more tracks and jpg album art. I think we've ruled out storage media as we both have 256G PNY. Still odd though. One thing is for sure, for me 8.0 is much faster for me than 7.1.

I'm not sure if this has been reported yet, but just got V8.0 (2.42.40) for my Model S and it fixes some issues with USB media. In particular, special characters (such as space) on volume names come out correctly. And you can access things alphabetically. There may be more fixes, but this is what I saw immediately:
View attachment 200460

Thanks for update. Do you know if they fixed the XM Radio shortcomings?

btw: looks like they fixed artist query. Now groups by Album. Also, states faster scrolling and loading.....

USB audio improvements today - Build 2.42.40 | Tesla Motors

Thanks for update. Do you know if they fixed the XM Radio shortcomings?
I didn't use it much yesterday, but there is a "Stations" button that gives you the catagory view of the stations. There is still no steering wheel control to move back/forward numerically through stations - only favorites. Station names are fully displayed on the station buttons now.

I suspect it has everything to do with how Tesla does their scanning process and then deals with dupes in the way they internally store mapping/linkage data back to the USB device, specifically with differences between both our directory structure and total bytes of each and every directory name, filename, ALBUM, TRACKNAME, TRACKARTIST, & GENRE tags. What can I say, but I suspect mine are bigger than yours. :p :oops:

...but it's also why I just don't even consider total size of a music library (in GB) when folks start quoting that as some point of reference in threads like this. The physical space the complete library consumes on the USB device likely has little if anything to do with MCU/CID memory consumption and time to scan, compared to the number and length-in-characters of all the "things" there are, when you think of how the programming may be done inside Media Player.

So I was getting to thinking on how my Empeg used to work. After you'd edit the folders and upload music in the media manager, you'd commit those changes to the player itself. This process consisted of, wait for it, building an index database that the player would read so that selecting and finding music was lightning fast. This process usually only took five minutes or so, but keep in mind it was doing this on a desktop computer. Now that database index file thingy had to be less than 16MB since that's all the memory the player had.

Ask that to say this. Yes, scanning USB on first insert is a necessary task or else you couldn't play anything speedily. Whatever the end result is (unless you just have a crap ton of files) shouldnt be too terrible in terms of size, so therefore I'm not sure I buy the AP/non AP culprit for media scan times.

As usual, I have no proof. But there is food for thought. Maybe there is still room left to improve in the scanning phase.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
...I'm not sure I buy the AP/non AP culprit for media scan times...
My thought is AP is perhaps just one other variable in addition to all those previously discussed. Some of my technical assumptions could be wrong, but:
  1. By all appearances to some of us owners, Tesla does not appear to have set a hard limit on the number of USB tracks it will attempt to scan and use with Media Player; Rather it tends to keep going until it runs out of resources (memory) and is likely the reason some have seen it becoming slower-and-slower after processing some number of things -- sometimes, but not always, to complete hours later. To support this theory, we know for example, that too much Nav History impacted previous 7.1 stuttering and other USB-related items -- erasing significant numbers of old Places helped workaround those problems, IMHO showing the memory is shared between multiple subsystems including Media Player. I would think things like numbers of, and amount of data associated with Contacts, Calendar, etc are even more variables from owner-to-owner that likely consume portions of this fixed memory. As to which has priority over the other, I have no proof, but it does not appear Media Player USB is at the top of the list given the symptoms many owners have encountered.
  2. It's more noticeable with larger libraries, but USB scan/rescan of the same device generally takes longer and is more variable when one is driving (Nav is going, perhaps AP is active, you're playing FM or Slacker, etc., etc.) than when MS is sitting, parked and otherwise OFF -- IMHO showing that Media Player is using a processor shared with subsystems that become busier and have a higher priority as the vehicle is moving.
  3. Isn't the MCU/CID physically the same in more recent AP and non-AP MS? If so, IIRC from one of our resident bench testers, it has 2GB of memory, and the same processor and memory is responsible for a myriad of subsystems including Media Player.
Assuming all that is true, I then extrapolate if you have AP, it would be consuming more of the available MCU/CID memory for some of what it does -- tiles flowing, more logging, dynamic processes, etc -- providing less opportunity to fit the exact same amount of user supplied USB data a non-AP vehicle could. I suspect even with AP having some of it's own specialized and dedicated processors, some CID/MCU processor cycles are still consumed by AP functionality being enabled. How big is the impact of AP on MCU/CID memory/processor? None of us could likely perform an exact enough test to say -- perhaps it's small, but I doubt anyone could say it's zero. Just to be clear, IMHO, AP isn't THE issue with Media Player. It's just one more possible contributing factor why owners without AP may be able to fit more tracks into an otherwise similar MS that does have AP. ...just a theory. As you say, it's food for thought.

Last edited:
My thought is AP is perhaps just one other variable in addition to all those previously discussed. Some of my technical assumptions could be wrong, but:
  1. By all appearances to some of us owners, Tesla does not appear to have set a hard limit on the number of USB tracks it will attempt to scan and use with Media Player; Rather it tends to keep going until it runs out of resources (memory) and is likely the reason some have seen it becoming slower-and-slower after processing some number of things -- sometimes, but not always, to complete hours later. To support this theory, we know for example, that too much Nav History impacted previous 7.1 stuttering and other USB-related items -- erasing significant numbers of old Places helped workaround those problems, IMHO showing the memory is shared between multiple subsystems including Media Player. I would think things like numbers of, and amount of data associated with Contacts, Calendar, etc are even more variables from owner-to-owner that likely consume portions of this fixed memory. As to which has priority over the other, I have no proof, but it does not appear Media Player USB is at the top of the list given the symptoms many owners have encountered.
  2. It's more noticeable with larger libraries, but USB scan/rescan of the same device generally takes longer and is more variable when one is driving (Nav is going, perhaps AP is active, you're playing FM or Slacker, etc., etc.) than when MS is sitting, parked and otherwise OFF -- IMHO showing that Media Player is using a processor shared with subsystems that become busier and have a higher priority as the vehicle is moving.
  3. Isn't the MCU/CID physically the same in more recent AP and non-AP MS? If so, IIRC from one of our resident bench testers, it has 2GB of memory, and the same processor and memory is responsible for a myriad of subsystems including Media Player.
Assuming all that is true, I then extrapolate if you have AP, it would be consuming more of the available MCU/CID memory for some of what it does -- tiles flowing, more logging, dynamic processes, etc -- providing less opportunity to fit the exact same amount of user supplied USB data a non-AP vehicle could. I suspect even with AP having some of it's own specialized and dedicated processors, some CID/MCU processor cycles are still consumed by AP functionality being enabled. How big is the impact of AP on MCU/CID memory/processor? None of us could likely perform an exact enough test to say -- perhaps it's small, but I doubt anyone could say it's zero. Just to be clear, IMHO, AP isn't THE issue with Media Player. It's just one more possible contributing factor why owners without AP may be able to fit more tracks into an otherwise similar MS that does have AP. ...just a theory. As you say, it's food for thought.
Wasn't one of the "features" of the upgraded sound system extra memory (128), what's that used for?

• Informative
Reactions: jcadman22
  • Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Isn't this amazing, Tesla considers restoring features they removed in v8 to be improvements. Now we know the secret to constant improvements! :eek:
Let's be clear, that's from a poster on the tesla forum, not from tesla motors.

Let's not be jerks. We complained, they are fixing. Would have been better if they never broke it, but the real test of service is how you react to problem and they are doing well on that. Won't be done until they totally restore what was broken Not clear yet if latest release does that, but it's good progress.

Let's be clear, that's from a poster on the tesla forum, not from tesla motors.

Let's not be jerks. We complained, they are fixing. Would have been better if they never broke it, but the real test of service is how you react to problem and they are doing well on that. Won't be done until they totally restore what was broken Not clear yet if latest release does that, but it's good progress.
I agree we shouldn't be jerks. But the lack of testing that went into v8 is just astounding. I mean, I really want to know how it happened because the deliverable was just plain un-usable. That kind of dev mindset, that it's OK to deliver something broken, could trickle into other areas as well.

That being said, the firmware team is a solid, talented group. I hope the end result is something *they* are proud of.

I've just got my v8 'upgrade' overnight. Up until now I've used a 2TB Toshiba HDD formatted in Fat32 full of flac files. Suddenly v8 can't see the HDD. No way I'm carrying around 15 thumb drives! Have Tesla removed support for HDDs from v8?
IDK, but it's possible. I've read in much older threads here that Tesla did e.g. disable keyboards back in the earlier days.

Please confirm which 8.0 "upgrade" you are referring to and if this is your first update since 7.1 or an update to 8.0 you already had. There are at least 5 different xx.xx.xx in the wild. I'm e.g. on 2.38.19 which isn't now the latest and greatest, but it is my 2nd code drop of 8.0. I personally don't use HDD, but there are a few people that have reported they are and I'm sure would have complained by now if this is unique to V8, opposed to perhaps something a more recent dot release most people don't have may have introduced.

A few things to try in the meantime if you have not:
  • I suggest you first do a complete reboot of your CID -- that has helped more than one person with all sort of odd problems after an update: Hold foot on brake; Hold both steering wheel control wheels down until Tesla T appears on CID; Release wheels and foot on brake
  • Have you re-tried your HDD in your PC or Mac to ensure nothing has gone wrong with your HDD itself?
  • Have you re-tried your HDD in the other MS USB port with the same result?
  • Does a simple USB stick formatted FAT32 with a couple of tracks work in the same port of your MS?
  • Also, when you say V8 can't see your HDD, I assume that means the USB interface does not display the volume name of your HDD, and it never begins to show it scanning your device when you first plug it in. Try removing your HDD from the MS port, reinsert and watch the USB interface for indications. (If you have many tracks, its possible your HDD is just never completing the scan and pooping-out when the CID/MCU runs out of memory perhaps -- but when that has happened to me, I saw the USB display effectively stop at something like 80% complete with the scan... it didn't disappear.)
  • Do you happen to have unusual characters in the volume name of your HDD? IDK if that would be an issue or not, but V8 is the first one to use volume name and we know there have been odd problems with Media Player's inability to display or handle some international characters in the past.
Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
I've just had am email reply from Tesla service. HDD support has been disabled in v8 but will be restored with a future update. For some bizarre reason the media player will only read flash drives even though v7 media player was completely happy with the HDD. Add this to the list of things that need to be fixed
This is odd. My HDD, also toshiba, has been working fine with 8.0. Which variant of 8.0 did you get?

I've just had am email reply from Tesla service. HDD support has been disabled in v8 but will be restored with a future update. For some bizarre reason the media player will only read flash drives even though v7 media player was completely happy with the HDD. Add this to the list of things that need to be fixed
I'm curious what constitutes a 'hard drive'. My understanding is that a USB enclosure can present itself simply as "USB mass storage" just like a thumb drive. I'm wondering if power draw has anything to do with it? A 2TB would be a spindle drive as opposed to an SSD (way more amps, usb port limits are 1.5 amps). And as of .19, my SSD in USB 3.0 enclosure is still working.

Last edited: