Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat as @doctorwho with respect to HDD usage. My 1TB Toshiba portable drive (physical, magnetic storage - NOT SSD) with 50K tracks served me well for years until 8.0 came along. It finished a full scan ONE time after the firmware update to 8.0 (2.36.108). However, the drive proved to be unusable with all the scrolling so I went through the trouble of reorganizing the files into a flat structure as recommended in the USB workaround thread in hopes of regaining some functionality. The drive has never gotten past 50% scan in the weeks since I re-installed it despite turning OFF energy savings as others have suggested.

Note that I do not have AP and this is the same drive that worked previously with energy savings ON. If Tesla is DISABLING features that worked in prior firmware versions they MUST communicate it. I've read the release notes and it's not there. I sent a message to Tesla service and their response contained no hint of the change. Thanks to @doctorwho for shedding light on the extremely frustrating mystery!

Do you have a Canvio? Because check out this article I found: Toshiba Acknowledges MacBook Woes in Canvio USB 3.0 Hard Drives

Looks like they draw more power than they are supposed to, as the Mac's can't read them either. So it looks like it could be a combination of lower USB output in v8, along with misbehaving drives.

So I haven't read all 23 pages of this, but in case it hasn't been mentioned before, the 2.42.40 firmware addresses some of the USB complaints that originally started the thread, specifically the ability to skip to an alphabet letter in a list, and the ability to search USB (the search is across Streaming and USB). The release notes say that scanning USB is faster--It's running about 2,000 tracks a minute for me. It's also supposed to be faster when returning to your car.

In the two days since I installed this build, I haven't seen any reboots (this is my first 8.0 build, so I have never seen one of these).

I'm having a hard time understanding why folks put such huge music collections on a USB stick, since it would be hard to listen to all of that in any conceivable amount of time. Make several sticks and mount the one you want for the next week on the car the night before.

So I haven't read all 23 pages of this, but in case it hasn't been mentioned before, the 2.42.40 firmware addresses some of the USB complaints that originally started the thread, specifically the ability to skip to an alphabet letter in a list, and the ability to search USB (the search is across Streaming and USB). The release notes say that scanning USB is faster--It's running about 2,000 tracks a minute for me. It's also supposed to be faster when returning to your car.

In the two days since I installed this build, I haven't seen any reboots (this is my first 8.0 build, so I have never seen one of these).

I'm having a hard time understanding why folks put such huge music collections on a USB stick, since it would be hard to listen to all of that in any conceivable amount of time. Make several sticks and mount the one you want for the next week on the car the night before.
For me it's choice and variety.

Not helpful. Some of us have large collections and want access to whatever, whenever. Without managing a bag of sticks.

1. Audiobooks
2. 3G/4G isn't always guaranteed for streaming
3. USB is highest possible quality
4. Data constraints on cell phone plan can prohibit Bluetooth streaming
5. Availability of variety in personal collection
6. Lack of variety in streaming sources
7. Because I could do it with my last car MP3 player

Do you mind commenting on some or all of these items since you seem to be one of the few with .40?

1. Letter list/alpha shortcuts for song/album/artist lists are gone / Any attempt at repeated scrolling gestures are interpreted as a click into a folder. If you then try backing out of that folder, it takes you to the top of the previous folder/file list.
2. Album Playback - Album tracks are being played alphabetically instead of by track number
3. Search - "Search Anything" does not search anything, it searches everything except USB media. Please allow search (text entry AND voice) to include USB media.
4. Playback Resume - Be able to resume playing a track from where it was when the car turned off / currently, track will reset to beginning / especially annoying when listening to an audiobook or podcast
5. Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources / it is also not persistent at other random times throughout the day when entering/exiting the vehicle
6. Folder/File List - Albums now intertwined alphabetically in with tracks under an artist when 7.1 had them at the top of the list (think Mac vs. PC on how folders and files are handled when displayed) / not necessarily a problem, this is the way that Linux file systems are read with an "LS" command, but if intentional, please document in release notes
7. Source Scanning - Mysterious problem with some scans taking an abnormal amount of time. Not sure if it's storage media access speed / number of tracks / total size of data, may need log file data to diagnose
8. Equalizer - Bass/Mid/Treble settings are not saved overnight sometimes / unsure if it is triggered by changing USB audio sources, difficult to replicate / if the intended feature was to allow different equalizer settings for different USB sources, for example, a certain sound profile for audiobooks and a certain sound profile for music, then please disclose this in the release notes because that would be a really cool and welcome feature
9. Volume Naming - Spaces in USB volume name are represented by the ASCII value "\x20" and not as the intended <space> / again, not necesarily a problem if this was intentional on how to handle non-alphanumeric characters
10. Tag Display - Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated

First, understand that the owner has a great appreciation of music and a large library which reflects their musical interests. Then think about 50,000 miles in your Tesla, many miles, many moods and the desire to complement each with the appropriate music.

I have friends who are not interested in music, it's just background to them, like paint on the wall. They're happy listening to "whatever". Then other people have spent much of their lives accumulating music, understanding artists from all centuries, Beethoven to Bing Crosby to Benoit to Bob Dylan to Bob Marley, their history, their influences, their evolution, etc.. Those owners want to take that with them on the road. Car manufacturers recognized this a long time ago and began offering premium audio systems for those owners (fat margins for the mfgs, good sound for the customers). Tesla has very few options, but premium sound is one of them. The market is talking.

I appreciate that you don't understand it, but you can comfortably accept that it's important to many owners and by virtue of the options offered by Tesla and the other mfgs, appreciate that it's a significant part of the market. Thus the reason this thread is more than 20 pages!

Mine is a 2014 1TB Toshiba v73600-C Canvio. I can read it with my Mac without a problem and until v8 I could read it in my Tesla although the read time was s l o w. Formatted in FAT32, most files are flac arranged in a flat file structure.
I'd give up on USB music if I had to split my 850GB of music amongst a whole string of flash drives

Mine is a 2014 1TB Toshiba v73600-C Canvio. I can read it with my Mac without a problem and until v8 I could read it in my Tesla although the read time was s l o w. Formatted in FAT32, most files are flac arranged in a flat file structure.
I'd give up on USB music if I had to split my 850GB of music amongst a whole string of flash drives

So you could very well have one of those drives that was pulling more amps than it should. My comment on the Mac was repeated from that article, that some of the older ones couldn't supply the 500+mah needed and that is what the Toshiba's were requesting.

Sorry I am 2500 miles from my car or I would post exact model of my 1TB toshiba drive that works. Hopefully somebody will. I'm pretty confident you will find a <$100 HDD solution.

The first thing I would try is to switch from a flat file structure to multiple levels of folders as it seems that is what works with 8.0.

Do you mind commenting on some or all of these items since you seem to be one of the few with .40?

1. Letter list/alpha shortcuts for song/album/artist lists are gone / Any attempt at repeated scrolling gestures are interpreted as a click into a folder. If you then try backing out of that folder, it takes you to the top of the previous folder/file list.
2. Album Playback - Album tracks are being played alphabetically instead of by track number
3. Search - "Search Anything" does not search anything, it searches everything except USB media. Please allow search (text entry AND voice) to include USB media.
4. Playback Resume - Be able to resume playing a track from where it was when the car turned off / currently, track will reset to beginning / especially annoying when listening to an audiobook or podcast
5. Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources / it is also not persistent at other random times throughout the day when entering/exiting the vehicle
6. Folder/File List - Albums now intertwined alphabetically in with tracks under an artist when 7.1 had them at the top of the list (think Mac vs. PC on how folders and files are handled when displayed) / not necessarily a problem, this is the way that Linux file systems are read with an "LS" command, but if intentional, please document in release notes
7. Source Scanning - Mysterious problem with some scans taking an abnormal amount of time. Not sure if it's storage media access speed / number of tracks / total size of data, may need log file data to diagnose
8. Equalizer - Bass/Mid/Treble settings are not saved overnight sometimes / unsure if it is triggered by changing USB audio sources, difficult to replicate / if the intended feature was to allow different equalizer settings for different USB sources, for example, a certain sound profile for audiobooks and a certain sound profile for music, then please disclose this in the release notes because that would be a really cool and welcome feature
9. Volume Naming - Spaces in USB volume name are represented by the ASCII value "\x20" and not as the intended <space> / again, not necesarily a problem if this was intentional on how to handle non-alphanumeric characters
10. Tag Display - Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated

I've only had a few minutes with it so far, but #1 and #2 are definitely fixed. Although now that #1 is fixed, it allowed me to discover that they aren't removing "The" from artist names when sorting, so groups like "The Beatles" and "The Alan Parsons Project" show up in the Ts.

Got the OTA 2.42.40 firmware update last evening. As mentioned earlier here, the alpha list is back when you choose the SONGS view on USB. Also, starting with the same first song on my USB, (on 4 different drives so far) the shuffle has chosen totally different second and third songs (and so on)... each time, so perhaps the shuffle function has also been worked on a bit and is more random. I did not try an audio search or typed search. My 8GB USB was indexed in what appears to be under 4 seconds with 405 songs on it. FLAC's often do not show album cover art, still.

BTW, I have been playing with illumination modes and do enjoy the Night mode more than the day mode on the central display. Less washed out during daytime use and perhaps more easily readable prose than the light grey on white background.

New bug (to me) that I haven't seen reported before.

My USB now takes a little over 10 minutes to load. Last night I was listening to it when I arrived home. This morning I drove in the car and selected the radio and it was playing fine. Eventually the USB loaded and suddenly the music started playing (same track as the last one yesterday evening).
But the display still showed the radio playing and I could not reselect the radio. I tried selecting streaming, which showed the screen,but would not let me select a stream to play. Going back to radio, showed the station, but I could not select anything.

Eventually I had to bring up the songs list for that USB, and select a different song (which played). Then I was able to select the radio again!
So basically when the USB loaded it 'hijacked' the player but nothing on the screens showed what was playing or would allow me to select anything else!

• Informative
Reactions: Boatguy
New bug (to me) that I haven't seen reported before.

My USB now takes a little over 10 minutes to load. Last night I was listening to it when I arrived home. This morning I drove in the car and selected the radio and it was playing fine. Eventually the USB loaded and suddenly the music started playing (same track as the last one yesterday evening).
But the display still showed the radio playing and I could not reselect the radio. I tried selecting streaming, which showed the screen,but would not let me select a stream to play. Going back to radio, showed the station, but I could not select anything.

Eventually I had to bring up the songs list for that USB, and select a different song (which played). Then I was able to select the radio again!
So basically when the USB loaded it 'hijacked' the player but nothing on the screens showed what was playing or would allow me to select anything else!
Yes, I've had that hijacking happen as well. Not sure the exact circumstances but USB scanning was definitely a part of it.

I only see it mentioned once above, and I only went back a couple pages.....but in the 2 minutes I had to play with it, USB IS FIXED. (at least mostly?)

Artist>Album>Song is back, the alphabetic quick access is back on the right side.

Basically it works like the pre-8.0 media player....but with the new cosmetics....which is fine with me.

I know that may not be what some of you were asking for, but having USB useful again was my #1 concern with 8.0 and it seems its been addressed. Not to speculate toooooo much but it looks to me like the USB just wasnt done when Elon's 8.0 deadline came.....so it was pushed out unfinished. NOW with the finished version it looks much more like an evolution of the previous media player instead of the mess that we have had since the initial 8.0 release.

Last edited: