Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5. I would suggest this just point blank say "M3U Playlist Support". Don't mess around. Honestly though, I don't hold much hope for this -- while home computer players do this, I've never owned a luxury vehicle that supported playlists with USB devices (they instead supported native iPod or MP3 players that had the function built-in).
No so. Read the playlist support for USB media from my 2014 BMW i3:

How do you navigate through a library of 10,000 songs? Preferably on the road using the vehicle's control functions. Almost all common MP3 players, Apple iPods and USB sticks can be integrated effortlessly with the audio system. The title of the track being played is displayed either on the control or radio display. MP3 players and Apple iPhones can be operated directly from the central console. All common formats are supported (MP3, AAC, WAV and WMA) as well as M3U-format playlists. To integrate an Apple iPod or Apple iPhone, the BMW cable adapter for Apple iPod/iPhone equipment option is required.

Note that the i3 has two displays, similar to the MS, but the "CID" is smaller. Key operating information is in the "control" display, and more expansive nav and entertainment data is in the "central console".

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
In general, does everyone believe all these requirements are as important as other non-USB Infotainment desires (like Waypoints and other Nav improvements?) I don't, but will again defer to you representing the collective. If the list is this long, you may want to consider weighting the biggest ticket items to the top.
I don't either and from what I have read here and in other threads, other than legitimate and important bugs, most people are satisfied with USB since .40. Nav needs focus now and that should be much simpler than this. Just three things:
1. Accuracy
2. Route choices
3. Waypoints

Reactions: BertL
Ok B, take a look at this. Also, help remind what we had talked about for Bug #7 so I get it right. I apologize, it's a lot of threads and posts to go check out. If you can remember the best way to put it, thanks. And yes, I'm trying to summarize a lot of what you said. It's not that it's not important at all, it's that I believe our requests are going through a non-dev filter before moving on. I have *always* noted the specific threads though for more clarification.

To clarify Number 4, what I'm trying to accomplish is when you hear a particular song you like either in regular or random play, you can quickly (1 button push), queue up another song from that album or artist without going back through a directory browse or search query. Over the years, I've found this feature great and so much bettery than just a thumbs up for internet radio type sources. "Oh, you like hearing the Decemberists?", "Here is another song by them." Not just a band that might sound like them.

Media Player Bugs as of .40 of v8

1. Search
SEMI-FIXED (text input search works, voice search is hit or miss) Some instance of “ghost results” from previous media that is no longer plugged in. Selecting these items causes the Media Player to not play anything. There should also be an option to apply preferential treatment to search results (USB vs. streaming) and/or eliminate certain sources from results by user preference / Streaming people will want it one way (remove USB results), USB media people will like it the other way (remove streaming results) / Not all results are displayed when clearly there are more matches / What does “Top” mean in search results?

2. Playback Resume
Tracks still reset to beginning when exiting and then returning to the vehicle. Observed slight causality with track resetting when a driver returns to the car after longer than 15min from leaving it – need more testing / passenger door status change may also affect this

3. Playback
Multi-disc albums should always be played in DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence unless shuffle/random has been engaged.

4. Shuffle/Shuffle Toggle
Shuffle is much better, however, there are hints that it is still playing the same set of songs depending on either which song is selected or how many times the shuffle button has been toggled. Entering into the car for the first time of the day results in the last playing song from the night before to play from start but then next series of songs to play are the same repetitive set from the day before. Also, Shuffle still randomly turns off between USB sources, player sources, and entering/existing vehicle, Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources, seems random

5. Sort Order Issues
• Songs View: Requirement to improve how it's sorted (see my previous post)
• Artists View: FILENAME is being used instead of DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER within track listings for playback, & Albums with the same title now have tracks being erroneously merged
• Albums View: FILENAME is being used instead of DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER within track listings for playback, & Albums with the same title now have tracks being erroneously merged
• Genre View: TRACKTITLEs within a genre should be presented in ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence to make any real sense out of this long list
• Folder View: FILENAMEs should be used exclusively, not mixed with use of TRACKTITLE at the lowest level as is now the case; Per best practices, Folders should always be presented at the top of the listing, not interspersed alphanumerically with tracks.

5. File Directory Listing
Folders should be listed first alphabetically, and then files next alphabetically / Files and folders still intermixed in Folder View / Do not use tag data for sorting anywhere within Folder View

6. Grammatical Articles Used in Alphabetical Listing
Lists are using ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ as alphabetical markers for sorting. These prefixes should be ignored for alphabetical sorting, but included in the file listing. For example, ‘The Beatles’ should be under “B”, not “T”

7. Multi-artist Album / Multi-disc Albums
Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated / ID3 tag DISCNUMBER should be used when sorting a list of files, should group by disk first, then by track

8. Documentation on USB Functionality
• Expected scan times per track/data size – disclose effect of MCU reboot and list rescan triggers
• Documented hard limits to volume size, individual file size, max number of files, ID3 tag fields
• Physical device support/specifications (Flash/SSD, max. USB output power per port/as a pair)
• Supported Tags
• Supported File Formats
• Supported Playback Formats
• Album Art Size/Type Limitations

9. Directory/File Sorting
Directory listing should place folders at the top in alphabetical order, followed by individual files in alphabetical order

Most Popular Software Enhancement Requests from Ownership:

1. Automatic Volume Leveling based on interior cabin noise, or speed of vehicle

2. Bookmark Feature
Especially in light of the ‘Playback Resume’ error, request feature to "Bookmark" exact place (time and album) in audio track and save 3-5 different slots for resuming later / critical for audiobooks and podcasts played via USB / Trying to find an exact timestamp in a file can be dangerous while driving. Allowing a “Favorite” to save the current timestamp and album would suffice for this feature or it can be a separate section: FAVORITES / RECENT / BOOKMARKS

3. "Play Down" from Current Folder View - The first entry inside a folder should be to play everything within that folder, ie. all files listed in that view as well as all the files within the subfolders of that view / should also apply to songs and albums within an artist folder

4. Make Artist and Album Selectable Tag Info in Now Playing - so that pressing them immediately starts playing the match. For example, if you are in a random mix of songs and Michael Jackson comes on, pressing the Arist Name will begin playing all songs by Michael Jackson. Pressing the Album Name (ex. Bad), will start playing that whole album as the selected playlist, but from that track forward in the album. ALTERNATIVELY, Queue next song, artist, album by making the displayed text in 'Now Playing' hot-linked/clickable, then matches to the field clicked are moved from their existing place in the current playlist to the next track in queue. Essentially, behind the scenes, the Media Player would be performing a “Search USB” function and then automatically selecting the proper matches. This eliminates all that time trying to speak the name correctly and/or type, then browse, then select, through the results on the screen while driving.

5. Playback from Recents - Remember the "playlist" that the 'recent' was a part of when selected / If you play one of these items that was part of an album or list, it should go back into playing the same album or the same list respectively when chosen again

6. .m3u Playlist Support

7. Optional Gapless Playback - for audiobooks and concert albums

Bugs
3. To avoid any confusion, I suggest "All tracks within albums, including multi-disc, should always be played in DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence unless shuffle/random has been engaged."
5. Sort Order Issues First Bullet: "Songs View" -- just bag the requirement. It's a minor nice-to-have in the scheme of things.
7. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1813623/ "If TRACKARTIST is blank or does not exist, use the value of ALBUMARTIST if it exists (and vice-versa)"
8. In lieu of "Supported Playback Formats" you should say "Audio Encoding Formats". It really is the way a track is encoded, not the way it's played-back that is the question.
9. I believe is a duplicate of 5. Get rid of 9 and merge the concepts.​

Requirements
1. I would suggest this be summarized more like "Implement an optional Automatic Volume Leveling feature for USB media, which performs the same on-the-fly relative volume control as all other major automobiles offer for CD and USB music sources".
5. I think you need an example with this one. I don't quite get it.​

Three last things:
- I'd say you need to add a final statement under requirements that USB Requirements do not necessarily take precedence over Navigation improvements such as Waypoints, alternate routes and accuracy, etc. You could reference your original list of requirements from last Fall. ;)
- If I were to vote, I'd only include Bugs 2, 3, 5, & 8, and Requirement 1. Those would fix all basic playback issues with USB and get it's functionality at or close to much of the competition that most owners probably care about. The rest for me are nicer-to-have or are things a smaller number of Owners are likely to use, and I'd rather have Nav focused on next. I know others will have different opinions on that. So be that.

- I'm out of here spending any significant time on all this USB stuff for this prioritization effort and TMC for a while... I've got something close to two man-weeks of effort in just 8.0 USB now and I'm tired of being a free test & technical support engineer, and attempting to keep all these similar threads straight here on the forum (yes, I've suggested a couple of times over the last several weeks to the Mods to merge threads via Report and Email). ;)

Reactions: msnow
Bugs
3. To avoid any confusion, I suggest "All tracks within albums, including multi-disc, should always be played in DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence unless shuffle/random has been engaged."
5. Sort Order Issues First Bullet: "Songs View" -- just bag the requirement. It's a minor nice-to-have in the scheme of things.
7. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1813623/ "If TRACKARTIST is blank or does not exist, use the value of ALBUMARTIST if it exists (and vice-versa)"
8. In lieu of "Supported Playback Formats" you should say "Audio Encoding Formats". It really is the way a track is encoded, not the way it's played-back that is the question.
9. I believe is a duplicate of 5. Get rid of 9 and merge the concepts.​

Requirements
1. I would suggest this be summarized more like "Implement an optional Automatic Volume Leveling feature for USB media, which performs the same on-the-fly relative volume control as all other major automobiles offer for CD and USB music sources".
5. I think you need an example with this one. I don't quite get it.​

Three last things:
- I'd say you need to add a final statement under requirements that USB Requirements do not necessarily take precedence over Navigation improvements such as Waypoints, alternate routes and accuracy, etc. You could reference your original list of requirements from last Fall. ;)
- If I were to vote, I'd only include Bugs 2, 3, 5, & 8, and Requirement 1. Those would fix all basic playback issues with USB and get it's functionality at or close to much of the competition that most owners probably care about. The rest for me are nicer-to-have or are things a smaller number of Owners are likely to use, and I'd rather have Nav focused on next. I know others will have different opinions on that. So be that.

- I'm out of here spending any significant time on all this USB stuff for this prioritization effort and TMC for a while... I've got something close to two man-weeks of effort in just 8.0 USB now and I'm tired of being a free test & technical support engineer, and attempting to keep all these similar threads straight here on the forum (yes, I've suggested a couple of times over the last several weeks to the Mods to merge threads via Report and Email). ;)
Thank you very much for your time on this. I too would like to see NAV get some love. Let me edit this and fire it off. Thank you. Any interest in having a voting poll for top 3?

Thank you very much for your time on this. I too would like to see NAV get some love. Let me edit this and fire it off. Thank you. Any interest in having a voting poll for top 3?
I do not think you should do poll. This promotes a perspective that tesla can do a few things, a half-assed job, and a majority would be satisfied. The real answer is just so simple: just make it behave like iTunes. Don't need to write a spec, it is there. @BertL fix list, @supratachophobia bug list contain the remaining changes needed. Doing a few of them is exactly what .40 is.

Reactions: Boatguy
I do not think you should do poll. This promotes a perspective that tesla can do a few things, a half-assed job, and a majority would be satisfied. The real answer is just so simple: just make it behave like iTunes. Don't need to write a spec, it is there. @BertL fix list, @supratachophobia bug list contain the remaining changes needed. Doing a few of them is exactly what .40 is.
I would appreciate a media player that exceeds expectations as well. thank you for your feedback.

Here is the semi-final copy:

1. Search
SEMI-FIXED (text input search works, voice search is hit or miss) Some instance of “ghost results” from previous media that is no longer plugged in. Selecting these items causes the Media Player to not play anything. There should also be an option to apply preferential treatment to search results (USB vs. streaming) and/or eliminate certain sources from results by user preference / Streaming people will want it one way (remove USB results), USB media people will like it the other way (remove streaming results) / Not all results are displayed when clearly there are more matches / What does “Top” mean in search results?

2. Playback Resume
Tracks still reset to beginning when exiting and then returning to the vehicle. Observed slight causality with track resetting when a driver returns to the car after longer than 15min from leaving it – need more testing / passenger door status change may also affect this

3. Playback
All tracks within albums, including multi-disc, should always be played in DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence unless shuffle/random has been engaged.

4. Shuffle/Shuffle Toggle
Shuffle is much better, however, there are hints that it is still playing the same set of songs depending on either which song is selected or how many times the shuffle button has been toggled. Entering into the car for the first time of the day results in the last playing song from the night before to play from start but then next series of songs to play are the same repetitive set from the day before. Also, Shuffle still randomly turns off between USB sources, player sources, and entering/existing vehicle, Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources, seems random

5. Sort Order Issues
• Artists View: FILENAME is being used instead of DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER within track listings for playback, & Albums with the same title now have tracks being erroneously merged
• Albums View: FILENAME is being used instead of DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER within track listings for playback, & Albums with the same title now have tracks being erroneously merged
• Genre View: TRACKTITLEs within a genre should be presented in ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence to make any real sense out of this long list
• Folder View: FILENAMEs should be used exclusively, not mixed with use of TRACKTITLE at the lowest level as is now the case; Per best practices, Folders should always be presented at the top of the listing, not interspersed alphanumerically with tracks. Folder views should place folders at the top in alphabetical order, followed by individual files in alphabetical order

5. File Directory Listing
Folders should be listed first alphabetically, and then files next alphabetically / Files and folders still intermixed in Folder View / Do not use tag data for sorting anywhere within Folder View

6. Grammatical Articles Used in Alphabetical Listing
Lists are using ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ as alphabetical markers for sorting. These prefixes should be ignored for alphabetical sorting, but included in the file listing. For example, ‘The Beatles’ should be under “B”, not “T”

7. Multi-artist Album / Multi-disc Albums
If TRACKARTIST is blank or does not exist, use the value of ALBUMARTIST if it exists (and vice-versa)

• Expected scan times per track/data size – disclose effect of MCU reboot and list rescan triggers
• Documented hard limits to volume size, individual file size, max number of files, ID3 tag fields
• Physical device support/specifications (Flash/SSD, max. USB output power per port/as a pair)
• Supported Tags
• Supported Audio Encoding Formats

Most Popular Software Enhancement Requests from Ownership:

1. Implement optional Automatic Volume Leveling for all media, based on interior cabin noise, or speed of vehicle – on par with the relative volume control features that other automobile manufacturers offer

2. Bookmark Feature
Especially in light of the ‘Playback Resume’ error, request feature to "Bookmark" exact place (time and album) in audio track and save 3-5 different slots for resuming later / critical for audiobooks and podcasts played via USB / Trying to find an exact timestamp in a file can be dangerous while driving. Allowing a “Favorite” to save the current timestamp and album would suffice for this feature or it can be a separate section: FAVORITES / RECENT / BOOKMARKS

3. "Play Down" from Current Folder View - The first entry inside a folder should be to play everything within that folder, ie. all files listed in that view as well as all the files within the subfolders of that view / should also apply to songs and albums within an artist folder

4. Make Artist and Album Selectable Tag Info in Now Playing - so that pressing them immediately starts playing the match. For example, if you are in a random mix of songs and Michael Jackson comes on, pressing the Arist Name will begin playing all songs by Michael Jackson. Pressing the Album Name (ex. Bad), will start playing that whole album as the selected playlist, but from that track forward in the album. ALTERNATIVELY, Queue next song, artist, album by making the displayed text in 'Now Playing' hot-linked/clickable, then matches to the field clicked are moved from their existing place in the current playlist to the next track in queue. Essentially, behind the scenes, the Media Player would be performing a “Search USB” function and then automatically selecting the proper matches. This eliminates all that time trying to speak the name correctly and/or type, then browse, then select, through the results on the screen while driving.

5. Playback from Recents - Remember the "playlist" that the 'recent' was a part of when selected / If you play one of these items that was part of an album or list, it should go back into playing the same album or the same list respectively when chosen again

6. .m3u Playlist Support

7. Optional Gapless Playback - for audiobooks and concert albums

I would appreciate a media player that exceeds expectations as well. thank you for your feedback.

Here is the semi-final copy:

...snip...
• Supported Tags
• Supported Audio Encoding Formats
I think #8 is much too weak to capture what I, for one, continue to experience. If I were writing it, it would be something like

0. Scan Time
Scan time for some libraries is on the order of hours. (E.g. my library of ~25k tracks.)

0.5. Rescan
Library is rescanned periodically according to unknown trigger.

The combination of bugs 0 and 0.5 means I have managed to play music from my main stick exactly once since I got .40. While that is admittedly one time more than I did with the previous version, it still doesn't rise to the level of basic functionality and is much more severe than a documentation bug.

By the way, it seems possible that my woes are due to some error the media player is encountering while scanning. Which leads to a "feature" request: why not post some kind of error message in this case? Even a cryptic one ("Error -42: You lose") would be more comforting than the current nothing at all.

...snip...

I think #8 is much too weak to capture what I, for one, continue to experience. If I were writing it, it would be something like

0. Scan Time
Scan time for some libraries is on the order of hours. (E.g. my library of ~25k tracks.)

0.5. Rescan
Library is rescanned periodically according to unknown trigger.

The combination of bugs 0 and 0.5 means I have managed to play music from my main stick exactly once since I got .40. While that is admittedly one time more than I did with the previous version, it still doesn't rise to the level of basic functionality and is much more severe than a documentation bug.

By the way, it seems possible that my woes are due to some error the media player is encountering while scanning. Which leads to a "feature" request: why not post some kind of error message in this case? Even a cryptic one "Error -42: You lose" would be more comforting than the current nothing at all.
Noted and changed. Thank you. Did you ever figure out if you had power savings mode on, and what type of storage media are you using? Thanks, feel free to PM me.

I've tried it with all combinations of energy saving. I have a PNY 256 GB stick. Glad to provide further details as needed.

Aprox how much storage used by music? And have you tried parking in the garage, doing a full screen reboot, checking to see if the scan has started, then leave the car with the door partially shut for an hour? Close it just enough that it latches but doesnt close.

FYI. I personally don't rule out some odd load times, and some unexpected CID reboots having to do with the physical device itself. It's why in a former upthread dissertation I tried to suggest Tesla's General USB Error Recovery needs to be far more robust than it is. Perhaps that will come with the new OS update that Elon says is coming in December. IDK. But to @jgs's observation, I've had PNY sticks that work and others that don't so well. Examples:
  1. In general, USB sticks don't seem to work very well with sequential writes. This won't directly impact playback in your MS, but if you have a freshly formatted stick and you start to load 100GB or more to the single device. Most of the brands I own will begin to slow after a while, become very hot to the touch, and then go into a situation taking 200MB+, pausing for 20-60secs+/-, then continue to accept data. I've had this happen with SanDisk 128GB, PNY 256GB (two varieties), and Patriot 256GB. While I can't prove it 100%, these same sticks are ones that have seemed to also be in my MS when unexpected CID reboots occur. At least one of them also has symptom #2 below. I returned each one under warranty for replacement. Some replacements have the same issue.
  2. I provided two sticks to my Tesla SvC at my last visit to help debug early 8.0 USB bugs I reported. One was a SanDisk 256GB. The other was a Patriot 256GB that also had symptom #1, but is what I had been using since 7.1 in my MS. That device specifically was involved with CID reboots and excessive load times of the CID itself -- Tesla SvC told me it was throwing some sort of "unsupported device" message into their log. I returned the Patriot 256GB for a replacement which I've not yet tried.
    • Tesla also told me that their recommendation is no USB device be installed with the CID reboots or when starting your MS. I of course politely pushed back on this as being an unrealistic expectation. (But it would seem to support my theory there are challenges with Tesla's USB error recovery, doesn't it?)
  3. And lastly, all of these sticks show no errors when I format them via my Mac, or via a cheapo Windows laptop I keep for emergency use. They work OK for what they are. My point being, I doubt any of us can rule out our USB devices are part of what causes issues in our Tesla, in-part perhaps because Tesla's USB error recovery just isn't as robust as what other computers or devices we use the USB stick with.
Net of my story: If you have lots of reboots or excessive load times, try another USB device (in addition to all the other things previously discussed in this and other threads). I have a lot less odd problems with my MS with a small number of my growing collection of USB sticks than others. ;)

Aprox how much storage used by music? And have you tried parking in the garage, doing a full screen reboot, checking to see if the scan has started, then leave the car with the door partially shut for an hour? Close it just enough that it latches but doesnt close.
209 GB in use.

I missed the door partially shut thing. No, I hadn't tried that. Seriously freakish procedure -- do I also have to touch my nose with my right index finger and face east? But sure, I'll try that and report back. The door must be half-open and half-closed, eh, all the way open will not do?

("Full screen reboot" means foot on brake, two-finger salute?)

To @BertL's comment, I acknowledge it would be ideal to swap out the device, however I don't have another of the requisite capacity and don't feel like buying one just for what will probably be a wild goose chase. This was part of why I suggested some form of error notification would be beneficial.

Also, not that it's conclusive, but the same device worked fine with 7.1.

209 GB in use.

I missed the door partially shut thing. No, I hadn't tried that. Seriously freakish procedure -- do I also have to touch my nose with my right index finger and face east? But sure, I'll try that and report back. The door must be half-open and half-closed, eh, all the way open will not do?

("Full screen reboot" means foot on brake, two-finger salute?)

Nose ear thing might help. I'm just trying to get you that initial first scan done and hopefully see how it works for a week with power savings turned off. My own experience with around 1/3rd of the total size you have ended up with a 1st initial scan that took 1hr, and then a 2nd followup scan after a restart that took 25min, and then a 3rd scan that was just under 5min. Since then, zero re-scans and I can usually jump right into searching music when I get into the car. I did have one issue where a song set reached the end of the playlist and I had to click out of USB and then back in to get music to play again. It was weird, I took a video if you're interested; only happened twice.

FYI. I personally don't rule out some odd load times, and some unexpected CID reboots having to do with the physical device itself. It's why in a former upthread dissertation I tried to suggest Tesla's General USB Error Recovery needs to be far more robust than it is. Perhaps that will come with the new OS update that Elon says is coming in December. IDK. But to @jgs's observation, I've had PNY sticks that work and others that don't so well. Examples:
  1. In general, USB sticks don't seem to work very well with sequential writes. This won't directly impact playback in your MS, but if you have a freshly formatted stick and you start to load 100GB or more to the single device. Most of the brands I own will begin to slow after a while, become very hot to the touch, and then go into a situation taking 200MB+, pausing for 20-60secs+/-, then continue to accept data. I've had this happen with SanDisk 128GB, PNY 256GB (two varieties), and Patriot 256GB. While I can't prove it 100%, these same sticks are ones that have seemed to also be in my MS when unexpected CID reboots occur. At least one of them also has symptom #2 below. I returned each one under warranty for replacement. Some replacements have the same issue.
  2. I provided two sticks to my Tesla SvC at my last visit to help debug early 8.0 USB bugs I reported. One was a SanDisk 256GB. The other was a Patriot 256GB that also had symptom #1, but is what I had been using since 7.1 in my MS. That device specifically was involved with CID reboots and excessive load times of the CID itself -- Tesla SvC told me it was throwing some sort of "unsupported device" message into their log. I returned the Patriot 256GB for a replacement which I've not yet tried.
    • Tesla also told me that their recommendation is no USB device be installed with the CID reboots or when starting your MS. I of course politely pushed back on this as being an unrealistic expectation. (But it would seem to support my theory there are challenges with Tesla's USB error recovery, doesn't it?)
  3. And lastly, all of these sticks show no errors when I format them via my Mac, or via a cheapo Windows laptop I keep for emergency use. They work OK for what they are. My point being, I doubt any of us can rule out our USB devices are part of what causes issues in our Tesla, in-part perhaps because Tesla's USB error recovery just isn't as robust as what other computers or devices we use the USB stick with.
Net of my story: If you have lots of reboots or excessive load times, try another USB device (in addition to all the other things previously discussed in this and other threads). I have a lot less odd problems with my MS with a small number of my growing collection of USB sticks than others. ;)

I seem to recall that many USB sticks were notrious for putting "fast" memory on the first 10% of the stick, and then the other 90% being slow stuff as a way to cut costs. I've seen this play in many many USB sticks over the years where read speeds will be super fast, and then taper off to junk.

I haven't paid much notice to the scan time issues, but it perhaps became an issue for me today.

I have one 128GB stick with about 95GB of music. I put it in the car last night and this morning the music was loaded and after a cursory look before my wife departed with the car, all was working fine.

This afternoon when she returned I went down to the garage to take care of something else, I checked the MS media player, and it was reloading the USB stick. My wife did not notice any odd behavior in the display when she was out so I don't think there were any spontaneous reboots.

Those more knowledgeable than I can decide if this is another occurrence of a known problem, or a new twist. In either case, it is definitely a BUG as there was no reason for that stick to be loading again.

I haven't paid much notice to the scan time issues, but it perhaps became an issue for me today.

I have one 128GB stick with about 95GB of music. I put it in the car last night and this morning the music was loaded and after a cursory look before my wife departed with the car, all was working fine.

This afternoon when she returned I went down to the garage to take care of something else, I checked the MS media player, and it was reloading the USB stick. My wife did not notice any odd behavior in the display when she was out so I don't think there were any spontaneous reboots.

Those more knowledgeable than I can decide if this is another occurrence of a known problem, or a new twist. In either case, it is definitely a BUG as there was no reason for that stick to be loading again.
It should reload but not rescan. How long did it take and could the car have gone into energy savings mode or did you go right down after she got home?

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
It should reload but not rescan. How long did it take and could the car have gone into energy savings mode or did you go right down after she got home?
No, I didn't go down right after she got home, it was at least half an hour later. I don't know how long it took to scan, I didn't stay to watch it. It was at 53% when I saw it, and moving slowly. I just checked again and it was finished so the 2nd half didn't take more than 1.5hrs.

Energy Saving is not ON.

No, I didn't go down right after she got home, it was at least half an hour later. I don't know how long it took to scan, I didn't stay to watch it. It was at 53% when I saw it, and moving slowly. I just checked again and it was finished so the 2nd half didn't take more than 1.5hrs.

Energy Saving is not ON.
I have no facts, but I updated my stick with about 6100 tracks that was taking 6 mins to scan while everything else was essentially off with .40, to add another 700 tracks or so yesterday, and it's now taking well more than 20 minutes to scan the same physical device and directory structure. Something is afoot... I just don't know what yet, and honestly I'm running on fumes trying to continue doing PD/PSI on a basic function that has always just worked in every one of my former much-less-expensive vehicles.

RANT ON
These continued odd sort of failures are exasperating at least for me... (and I appreciate there ar others that either don't care or don't see a problem with what they are doing or expecting. Great for them. I like to listen to my music nearly all the time I'm in and driving my car. I have for many years, since cassette entered the picture, as the better answer to 8-track that I never installed in my first couple of cars back in the day. Tesla does not offer hardwired iPod capabilities like my former luxury vehicles. I don't want to use Bluetooth and have to physically fiddle with an external device that to me is as bad as texting while driving... These Tesla Media Player failures just take away a substantial amount from my Tesla ownership experience and satisfaction having to deal with so many idiosyncrasies that are basic and just work in other vehicles that cost 1/4 or less than my MS did. I do not accept Tesla has more important things to address, especially in functions that are common across a growing fleet. Owners should not have to trouble-shoot Infotainment in a $100K vehicle. Sorry for the rant. Time to open a bottle of wine and turn off this iPad. Good night. ;))
RANT OFF​

Reactions: Boatguy