Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should not be perishing m programming to accommodate our workarounds or trying to fix miss labeled tags on our part. They should be designing a media player that adheres to best practices and then we should follow those.
Yes! I would happy to abandon all the workarounds in exchange for having a media player which "adheres to best practices". In fact, I'd be happy to just have the functionality available from any one of MB, Audi, BMW or Lexus, none of which are "best practices", but all of which are far more functional than Tesla's current media player.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Unlike some reports I’ve read here on TMC, I see no real difference between scan and rescan times from 2.36.108 to 2.42.40,
Same here. Also, I get repeated rescans regardless of energy saving setting so even though the UI is now up to a minimal standard of usability, the overall system is not yet usable for me. (2 hours or more of scan time with rescans happening seemingly at random means my library is almost never available to play.)
e.g. my 61xx Tracks in 2-3 level directory structure took 15-20 mins with 7.1, and 6 mins in all three 8.0 releases I’ve had. If people are coming directly from 7.1, yes, there is a big improvement.
I'm not sure scan times are longer for me on 8.0 than 7.1 but I doubt they're shorter, and in any case 7.1 didn't do rescans just for fun.

At some point I'll resume working on this but unfortunately I just don't have the time right now for all the requisite library rebuilds, scans and such.

Same here. Also, I get repeated rescans regardless of energy saving setting so even though the UI is now up to a minimal standard of usability, the overall system is not yet usable for me. (2 hours or more of scan time with rescans happening seemingly at random means my library is almost never available to play.)

I'm not sure scan times are longer for me on 8.0 than 7.1 but I doubt they're shorter, and in any case 7.1 didn't do rescans just for fun.

At some point I'll resume working on this but unfortunately I just don't have the time right now for all the requisite library rebuilds, scans and such.
Yeah, I've had at least two unexpected CID reboots just this morning, and in my case, it "rescanned" my stick both times upon reboot, aka it took about 4 mins* vs the normal 6 mins for the same tracks and structure if all I do it change the high level directory name.

* as previously explained, I believe with all the CID is going through at reboot, if a USB rescan needs to be done concurrently, it will take a little longer than if basically everything in the MS were idle and all it had to do was rescan. My rescans are fairly consistent when my MS is off at 3 mins if nothing else is going on.

So, now that .40 is out in the wild, what are the remaining bugs we still need addressed?

Do you mean in addition to the issues identified by @BertL two days ago?
Yes, TU.​

I think we all agree that real bugs need to be fixed. Note that my Wed 11/2 .40 summary is missing some additional USB-specific feature requests that other individuals have mentioned across TMC. I'm not sure there is real consensus on the need for some of them, especially if we consider best practices, as well as thinking about the larger scheme of things that Tesla really needs to work on broader Infotainment in general. I caution us all, and personally hesitate to make the USB requirements list too long for fear someone in Tesla will think USB requirements are more important than say Waypoints are in Nav. ;)
If someone does use my .40 summary, it makes a number of references to detail in my 2.38.19 summary from 10/22. I am tired of debugging/reverse engineering this stuff as best I can, and then documenting results and the workaround I'm using (almost as much as some of you I'm sure, are of reading my long posts.)
More broadly if I were to add anything, we should keep harping on Tesla to officially document and maintain supported USB specs -- perhaps treating it as if it were a bug, since all other manufacturers document this in their Owners Manual, and there is really no excuse for Tesla putting its Owners through what they keep doing. More specifically, Tesla needs to ID these USB characteristics which would help us all:
Physical Device Type (Flash, SSD?, Max power, Are two USB devices supported simultaneously and if so, are restrictions on each device or the aggregate of the two); File Formats (FAT32, NTFS, others?); Maximum directory structure depth; Any maximums on number of files, directories, files, filename and/or tag lengths; Audio Encoding Formats; Which ID3 Tags are used and any specifics about them Tesla needs to call out; Imbedded Album Artwork (Format, Dimensions, Image Type)​

There may be some other possible bugs. If so, IMHO before they can be cited as an issue, someone needs to provide a specific way to recreate the problem, and therefore declare it as a solid bug needing resolution. There are too many 8.0 USB threads, but off the top of my head, some of these include:
  • exactly when some of these reboots and rescans are occurring, and if they are a cause or symptom of the USB device being in place
  • this whole question of USB slot power and/or USB SSD support
  • others?

Additionally, I concur that random is more random in .40 than it was in the earlier 8.0 releases, but it is still not updating the seed. I have a new set of songs that play, exactly in order while shuffle is enabled that is different than before, but still not unique on a per-drive basis.

I'm going to poke around more with it (reboot, REALLY reboot, drive label change, etc).

Luckily for me my collection is split on USBs that adhere to my mood, so each drive only has a couple thousand songs at most.

Ok, here is the current set of bugs still in v8, flavor .40

Media Player Bugs as of .40 of v8

1. Search
SEMI-FIXED (text input search works, voice search is hit or miss) Some instance of “ghost results” from previous media that is no longer plugged in. Selecting these items causes the Media Player to not play anything. There should also be an option to apply preferential treatment to search results (USB vs. streaming) and/or eliminate certain sources from results by user preference / Streaming people will want it one way (remove USB results), USB media people will like it the other way (remove streaming results) / Not all results are displayed when clearly there are more matches / What does “Top” mean in search results?

2. Playback Resume
Tracks still reset to beginning when exiting and then returning to the vehicle. Observed slight causality with track resetting when a driver returns to the car after longer than 15min from leaving it – need more testing / passenger door status change may also affect this

3. Bookmark Feature
Especially in light of the ‘Playback Resume’ error, request feature to "Bookmark" exact place (time and album) in audio track and save 3-5 different slots for resuming later / critical for audiobooks and podcasts played via USB / Trying to find an exact timestamp in a file can be dangerous while driving. Allowing a “Favorite” to save the current timestamp and album would suffice for this feature or it can be a separate section: FAVORITES / RECENT / BOOKMARKS

4. Shuffle/Shuffle Toggle
Shuffle is much better, however, there are hints that it is still playing the same set of songs depending on either which song is selected or how many times the shuffle button has been toggled. Entering into the car for the first time of the day results in the last playing song from the night before to play from start but then next series of songs to play are the same repetitive set from the day before. Also, Shuffle still randomly turns off between USB sources, player sources, and entering/existing vehicle, Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources, seems random

5. File Directory Listing
Folders should be listed first alphabetically, and then files next alphabetically / Files and folders still intermixed in Folder View / Do not use tag data for sorting anywhere within Folder View

6. Grammatical Articles Used in Alphabetical Listing
Lists are using ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ as alphabetical markers. These prefixes should be ignored for alphabetical sorting. For example, ‘The Beatles’ should be under “B”, not “T”

7. Multi-artist Album / Multi-disc Albums
Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated / ID3 tag DISCNUMBER should be used when sorting a list of files, should group by disk first, then by track

8. Documentation on USB Functionality
• Expected scan times per track/data size – disclose effect of MCU reboot and list rescan triggers
• Documented hard limits to volume size, individual file size, max number of files, ID3 tag fields
• Physical device support/specifications (Flash/SSD, max. USB output power per port/as a pair)
• Supported Tags
• Supported File Formats
• Supported Playback Formats
• Album Art Size/Type Limitations

9. Directory/File Sorting
Directory listing should place folders at the top in alphabetical order, followed by individual files in alphabetical order

Reactions: Boatguy
And here are the top feature requests:

Most Popular Software Enhancement Requests from Ownership:

1. Automatic Volume Leveling based on interior cabin noise, or speed of vehicle

2. "Play Down" from Current Folder View - The first entry inside a folder should be to play everything within that folder, ie. all files listed in that view as well as all the files within the subfolders of that view / should also apply to songs and albums within an artist folder

3. Make Artist and Album Selectable in Now Playing - so that pressing them immediately starts playing the match. For example, if you are in a random mix of songs and Michael Jackson comes on, pressing the Arist Name will begin playing all songs by Michael Jackson. Pressing the Album Name (ex. Bad), will start playing that whole album as the selected playlist, but from that track forward in the album. ALTERNATIVELY, Queue next song, artist, album by making the displayed text in 'Now Playing' hot-linked/clickable, then matches to the field clicked are moved from their existing place in the current playlist to the next track in queue. Essentially, behind the scenes, the Media Player would be performing a “Search USB” function and then automatically selecting the proper matches. This eliminates all that time trying to speak the name correctly and/or type, then browse, then select, through the results on the screen while driving.

4. Playback from Recents - Remember the "playlist" that the 'recent' was a part of when selected / If you play one of these items that was part of an album or list, it should go back into playing the same album or the same list respectively when chosen again

5. Playlist Support (.m3u?)

6. Gapless Playback - for lossless audio formats (AAC and FLAC)

Reactions: JohnEC and Boatguy
Since since the X hasn't had any .40 love yet, is the 'hijack the music when the stick finally loads' fixed in this version? I get that behavior every time when the USB finally loads. I have to open the USB tab and select another song manually in order to regain control of the UI. I try to switch back to radio whenever I arrive to avoid this, but sometimes forget.

@supratachophobia - are you emailing this list to Tesla?
I will do my best to pass it along, as well as request others do the same, just like last time (I think it's very clear that they listened). But I wanted to get a general consensus here first if the list was as complete as possible. What I think will happen/is happening, is that we have their attention on USB for a very limited window before they move onto something else (NAV!). I'd like USB to get back an a usable state at the very least, with an awesome state (feature requests included) at best before that happens.

I will do my best to pass it along, as well as request others do the same, just like last time (I think it's very clear that they listened). But I wanted to get a general consensus here first if the list was as complete as possible. What I think will happen/is happening, is that we have their attention on USB for a very limited window before they move onto something else (NAV!). I'd like USB to get back an a usable state at the very least, with an awesome state (feature requests included) at best before that happens.
Right, what I was getting at is I thought 8.1 was coming soon, (like the next 45 days) so not a lot of time.

Since since the X hasn't had any .40 love yet, is the 'hijack the music when the stick finally loads' fixed in this version? I get that behavior every time when the USB finally loads. I have to open the USB tab and select another song manually in order to regain control of the UI. I try to switch back to radio whenever I arrive to avoid this, but sometimes forget.
I have not seen it crop up yet.

Ok, here is the current set of bugs still in v8, flavor .40

1. Search
SEMI-FIXED (text input search works, voice search is hit or miss) Some instance of “ghost results” from previous media that is no longer plugged in. Selecting these items causes the Media Player to not play anything. There should also be an option to apply preferential treatment to search results (USB vs. streaming) and/or eliminate certain sources from results by user preference / Streaming people will want it one way (remove USB results), USB media people will like it the other way (remove streaming results) / Not all results are displayed when clearly there are more matches / What does “Top” mean in search results?

2. Playback Resume
Tracks still reset to beginning when exiting and then returning to the vehicle. Observed slight causality with track resetting when a driver returns to the car after longer than 15min from leaving it – need more testing / passenger door status change may also affect this

3. Bookmark Feature
Especially in light of the ‘Playback Resume’ error, request feature to "Bookmark" exact place (time and album) in audio track and save 3-5 different slots for resuming later / critical for audiobooks and podcasts played via USB / Trying to find an exact timestamp in a file can be dangerous while driving. Allowing a “Favorite” to save the current timestamp and album would suffice for this feature or it can be a separate section: FAVORITES / RECENT / BOOKMARKS

Shuffle is much better, however, there are hints that it is still playing the same set of songs depending on either which song is selected or how many times the shuffle button has been toggled. Entering into the car for the first time of the day results in the last playing song from the night before to play from start but then next series of songs to play are the same repetitive set from the day before. Also, Shuffle still randomly turns off between USB sources, player sources, and entering/existing vehicle, Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources, seems random

Folders should be listed first alphabetically, and then files next alphabetically / Files and folders still intermixed in Folder View / Do not use tag data for sorting anywhere within Folder View

Lists are using ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ as alphabetical markers. These prefixes should be ignored for alphabetical sorting. For example, ‘The Beatles’ should be under “B”, not “T”

Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated / ID3 tag DISCNUMBER should be used when sorting a list of files, should group by disk first, then by track

• Expected scan times per track/data size – disclose effect of MCU reboot and list rescan triggers
• Documented hard limits to volume size, individual file size, max number of files, ID3 tag fields
• Physical device support/specifications (Flash/SSD, max. USB output power per port/as a pair)
• Supported Tags
• Supported File Formats

Directory listing should place folders at the top in alphabetical order, followed by individual files in alphabetical order
Appreciate your work on this. My POV for whatever it's worth:

In general, I think you're mixing BUGs with Requests for Improvements. As an x-Programmer guy, a bug is when something is not working as designed. Tesla hasn't told us what their specs are, so that's hard for us to determine, but IMHO if a function hasn't been there since MS first was introduced, and it isn't say contrary to ID3 specs that it appears Tesla is making use of, as much as it pains me, some of these become requirements, not broken code per se. Sematics perhaps, but if you're gonna have two lists, it may add credibility if there is a little more consistency in how things are separated.

1. Sorry, but I still don't quite get your "ghost results", and if it is related to multi-USB devices/partitions/whatever that you're doing, or if it also happens with a single USB device. Apologies for being dense on this...

3. Requirement, not a bug.

5 & 9. What's the difference here? I really feel you've missed what I consider the biggest problems with .40 which I explained very precisely in my previous long post under SORT ORDER IS HORRIBLY PROBLEMATIC. The very net issues are really that:
- Songs View: Requirement to improve how it's sorted (see my previous post)
- Artists View: FILENAME is being used instead of DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER within track listings for playback, & Albums with the same title now have tracks being erroneously merged
- Albums View: FILENAME is being used instead of DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER within track listings for playback, & Albums with the same title now have tracks being erroneously merged
- Genre View: TRACKTITLEs within a genre should be presented in ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence to make any real sense out of this long list
- Folder View: FILENAMEs should be used exclusively, not mixed with use of TRACKTITLE at the lowest level as is now the case; Per best practices, Folders should always be presented at the top of the listing, not interspersed alphanumerically with tracks.

(I know you are trying to summarize, and some people don't like my longer dissertations, but I still believe Tesla's root cause for much of this is they don't internally manage tracks by ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER, which would keep most everything straight by default except in Folder View when they use the file structure and alphanumeric sort order to display and playback.)​

6. Requirement, not a bug. I would suggest though, be specific -- we want sorting to exclude "A, An, The" when it's the prefix within a tag, but we want the tag always displayed in it's original form.

7. See our recent exchange in another thread on this one. This is far too complicated as it is, or I don't understand what the intent is. I could have misinterpreted, but I thought maybe you agreed with my suggestion of an improved definition to replace this one over in that other thread. Maybe not.

8. TU. In lieu of "Supported Playback Formats" you may want to say "Audio Encoding Formats". It really is the way a track is encoded, not the way it's played-back that is the question.

NEW 10. I would suggest stating that Tesla must consistently (with the exception of Folder View), always present and play tracks within the same album in DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence. Period. Without exception unless on random/shuffle play.

And here are the top feature requests:

2. "Play Down" from Current Folder View - The first entry inside a folder should be to play everything within that folder, ie. all files listed in that view as well as all the files within the subfolders of that view / should also apply to songs and albums within an artist folder

3. Make Artist and Album Selectable in Now Playing - so that pressing them immediately starts playing the match. For example, if you are in a random mix of songs and Michael Jackson comes on, pressing the Arist Name will begin playing all songs by Michael Jackson. Pressing the Album Name (ex. Bad), will start playing that whole album as the selected playlist, but from that track forward in the album. ALTERNATIVELY, Queue next song, artist, album by making the displayed text in 'Now Playing' hot-linked/clickable, then matches to the field clicked are moved from their existing place in the current playlist to the next track in queue. Essentially, behind the scenes, the Media Player would be performing a “Search USB” function and then automatically selecting the proper matches. This eliminates all that time trying to speak the name correctly and/or type, then browse, then select, through the results on the screen while driving.

4. Playback from Recents - Remember the "playlist" that the 'recent' was a part of when selected / If you play one of these items that was part of an album or list, it should go back into playing the same album or the same list respectively when chosen again

5. Playlist Support (.m3u?)

6. Gapless Playback - for lossless audio formats (AAC and FLAC)
1. I would suggest this be summarized more like "Implement an optional Automatic Volume Leveling feature for USB media, which performs the same on-the-fly relative volume control as all other major automobiles offer for CD and USB music sources".

4. I must be tired. I just don't understand this.

5. I would suggest this just point blank say "M3U Playlist Support". Don't mess around. Honestly though, I don't hold much hope for this -- while home computer players do this, I've never owned a luxury vehicle that supported playlists with USB devices (they instead supported native iPod or MP3 players that had the function built-in).

6. I would suggest you add the word "optional" in there. I get what people want, but the problem is, it's gonna be tough to implement unless it's all or nothing, meaning, Tesla could provide an option that allows 100% of USB tracks played to be gapless or not until the option is changed back -- best case it shows as a new icon like random and continuous play are underneath a track. It's not reasonable to expect Tesla could do something specific by track, as some media players allow and maintain in their internal libraries at the track level. I personally will never use this as a majority of my tracks are meant to have a slight gap between them, but I appreciate the desires of those that play Classical, Audiobooks, and other specific album types.

NEW 7. I would suggest adding: "Use ALBUMARTIST in lieu of TRACKARTIST throughout the interface." You're welcome to see or just reference my very specific reasons and benefits to Tesla in my long post before last under what I called BUG 4.

In general, does everyone believe all these requirements are as important as other non-USB Infotainment desires (like Waypoints and other Nav improvements?) I don't, but will again defer to you representing the collective. If the list is this long, you may want to consider weighting the biggest ticket items to the top.

Last edited:

In general, I think you're mixing BUGs with Requests for Improvements. As an x-Programmer guy, a bug is when something is not working as designed. Tesla hasn't told us what their specs are, so that's hard for us to determine, but IMHO if a function hasn't been there since MS first was introduced, and it isn't say contrary to ID3 specs that it appears Tesla is making use of, as much as it pains me, some of these become requirements, not broken code per se. Sematics perhaps, but if you're gonna have two lists, it may add credibility if there is a little more consistency in how things are separated.

1. Sorry, but I still don't quite get your "ghost results", and if it is related to multi-USB devices/partitions/whatever that you're doing, or if it also happens with a single USB device. Apologies for being dense on this...

5 & 9. What's the difference here? I really feel you've missed what I consider the biggest problems with .40 which I explained very precisely in my previous long post under SORT ORDER IS HORRIBLY PROBLEMATIC. The very net issues are really that:
- Artists View: FILENAME is being used instead of DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER within track listings for playback, & Albums with the same title now have tracks being erroneously merged
- Albums View: FILENAME is being used instead of DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER within track listings for playback, & Albums with the same title now have tracks being erroneously merged
- Genre View: TRACKTITLEs within a genre should be presented in ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence to make any real sense out of this long list
- Folder View: FILENAMEs should be used exclusively, not mixed with use of TRACKTITLE at the lowest level as is now the case; Per best practices, Folders should always be presented at the top of the listing, not interspersed alphanumerically with tracks.

(I know you are trying to summarize, and some people don't like my longer dissertations, but I still believe Tesla's root cause for much of this is they don't internally manage tracks by ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER, which would keep most everything straight by default except in Folder View when they use the file structure and alphanumeric sort order to display and playback.)​

6. Requirement, not a bug. I would suggest though, be specific -- we want sorting to exclude "A, An, The" when it's the prefix within a tag, but we want the tag always displayed in it's original form.

7. See our recent exchange in another thread on this one. This is far too complicated as it is, or I don't understand what the intent is. I could have misinterpreted, but I thought maybe you agreed with my suggestion of an improved definition to replace this one over in that other thread. Maybe not.

8. TU. In lieu of "Supported Playback Formats" you may want to say "Audio Encoding Formats". It really is the way a track is encoded, not the way it's played-back that is the question.

NEW 10. I would suggest stating that Tesla must consistently (with the exception of Folder View), always present and play tracks within the same album in DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence. Period. Without exception unless on random/shuffle play.

1. I would suggest this be summarized more like "Implement an optional Automatic Volume Leveling feature for USB media, which performs the same on-the-fly relative volume control as all other major automobiles offer for CD and USB music sources".

5. I would suggest this just point blank say "M3U Playlist Support". Don't mess around. Honestly though, I don't hold much hope for this -- while home computer players do this, I've never owned a luxury vehicle that supported playlists with USB devices (they instead supported native iPod or MP3 players that had the function built-in).

6. I would suggest you add the word "optional" in there. I get what people want, but the problem is, it's gonna be tough to implement unless it's all or nothing, meaning, Tesla could provide an option that allows 100% of USB tracks played to be gapless or not until the option is changed back -- best case it shows as a new icon like random and continuous play are underneath a track. It's not reasonable to expect Tesla could do something specific by track, as some media players allow and maintain in their internal libraries at the track level. I personally will never use this as a majority of my tracks are meant to have a slight gap between them, but I appreciate the desires of those that play Classical, Audiobooks, and other specific album types.

NEW 7. I would suggest adding: "Use ALBUMARTIST in lieu of TRACKARTIST throughout the interface." You're welcome to see or just reference my very specific reasons and benefits to Tesla in my long post before last under what I called BUG 4.

In general, does everyone believe all these requirements are as important as other non-USB Infotainment desires (like Waypoints and other Nav improvements?) I don't, but will again defer to you representing the collective. If the list is this long, you may want to consider weighting the biggest ticket items to the top.
Back to work.....

Ok B, take a look at this. Also, help remind what we had talked about for Bug #7 so I get it right. I apologize, it's a lot of threads and posts to go check out. If you can remember the best way to put it, thanks. And yes, I'm trying to summarize a lot of what you said. It's not that it's not important at all, it's that I believe our requests are going through a non-dev filter before moving on. I have *always* noted the specific threads though for more clarification.

To clarify Number 4, what I'm trying to accomplish is when you hear a particular song you like either in regular or random play, you can quickly (1 button push), queue up another song from that album or artist without going back through a directory browse or search query. Over the years, I've found this feature great and so much bettery than just a thumbs up for internet radio type sources. "Oh, you like hearing the Decemberists?", "Here is another song by them." Not just a band that might sound like them.

1. Search

2. Playback Resume

3. Playback
Multi-disc albums should always be played in DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence unless shuffle/random has been engaged.

5. Sort Order Issues
• Songs View: Requirement to improve how it's sorted (see my previous post)
• Artists View: FILENAME is being used instead of DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER within track listings for playback, & Albums with the same title now have tracks being erroneously merged
• Albums View: FILENAME is being used instead of DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER within track listings for playback, & Albums with the same title now have tracks being erroneously merged
• Genre View: TRACKTITLEs within a genre should be presented in ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST+DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER sequence to make any real sense out of this long list
• Folder View: FILENAMEs should be used exclusively, not mixed with use of TRACKTITLE at the lowest level as is now the case; Per best practices, Folders should always be presented at the top of the listing, not interspersed alphanumerically with tracks.

Lists are using ‘A’, ‘An’, ‘The’ as alphabetical markers for sorting. These prefixes should be ignored for alphabetical sorting, but included in the file listing. For example, ‘The Beatles’ should be under “B”, not “T”

• Supported Tags
• Supported File Formats

2. Bookmark Feature

3. "Play Down" from Current Folder View - The first entry inside a folder should be to play everything within that folder, ie. all files listed in that view as well as all the files within the subfolders of that view / should also apply to songs and albums within an artist folder

4. Make Artist and Album Selectable Tag Info in Now Playing - so that pressing them immediately starts playing the match. For example, if you are in a random mix of songs and Michael Jackson comes on, pressing the Arist Name will begin playing all songs by Michael Jackson. Pressing the Album Name (ex. Bad), will start playing that whole album as the selected playlist, but from that track forward in the album. ALTERNATIVELY, Queue next song, artist, album by making the displayed text in 'Now Playing' hot-linked/clickable, then matches to the field clicked are moved from their existing place in the current playlist to the next track in queue. Essentially, behind the scenes, the Media Player would be performing a “Search USB” function and then automatically selecting the proper matches. This eliminates all that time trying to speak the name correctly and/or type, then browse, then select, through the results on the screen while driving.

5. Playback from Recents - Remember the "playlist" that the 'recent' was a part of when selected / If you play one of these items that was part of an album or list, it should go back into playing the same album or the same list respectively when chosen again

6. .m3u Playlist Support

7. Optional Gapless Playback - for audiobooks and concert albums