Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dweeks, I can't help with the MP3tag on Windows part of your question. I use only macOS apps to manage my master music library and create/maintain my Tesla-unique USB device, but can perhaps shed light on your last observation:

it takes my late 2017 MS over 40 minutes to scan the thumb drive after I insert it. This seems WAY too long.
There are many upthread posts on this. From my more detailed testing years ago (documented upthread), I believe the basic issue is as your CID runs out of available memory, it begins to "thrash" (old mainframe term) wasting time trying to move memory around and attempt to open up space, so more things like additional pointers to tunes on your USB device can be scanned in. BTW, a faster USB device isn't going to help much with the time it takes to scan data into your MS -- the basic interface in your (and my) MS is USB 2.0, so if you use a faster USB 3.x device, that benefit is only as you create/manage your music on the device via your Mac or PC.

E.g. original MS like mine had 2GB of CID memory that has to house most Tesla code (which grows with every release and addition of useless Easter eggs as we again received with this last drop), various working areas, nav maps, destinations and history, phone contacts, any data being collected and/or uploaded to the mother ship, new downloaded code updates as they become available, etc etc -- then, it appears Tesla allows what remains to be filled-up with MP USB pointers and metadata for your music. Tesla sadly does not seem to put in any hard tests or notifications when it runs out of memory, so as you find, MP USB scan can resimply slow to a crawl and/or MP may eventually crash and try rescanning again in a sometimes endless loop. IMO those sort of variables are why different owners with different Tesla and builds, even at different times, can seem to load more or less tracks for use with USB and maintain a stable environment while others cannot. The problem is compounded because everyone's metadata is different on every track -- some having more or less than others -- and every character of that, for each tag MP USB uses, has to go into available CID memory somewhere. There is no other place for it to go as more robust computers running something like macOS or Windows with their paging/swap ability that happens under the covers using your built-in SSD or HDD.

Net is, when you have this "USB scan slowing to a crawl" issue, it's an indication you have too many tracks and/or too much metadata on your USB device for available memory on your Tesla. You need to reduce one or the other, or both, to get to a sweet spot that works better in your specific Tesla. Reducing the SIZE of the music itself isn't a significant concern when it comes to scan time -- never has been in my view and it's why I tend to ignore comments from others about they have "xxxGB" of music on a USB device. Flattening the directory structure on your USB device and even reducing the length of actual directory and filenames will give some little relief as that too has to go into memory somewhere and may have smaller or larger implications dependent upon how efficient Tesla is internally with their USB mapping -- so if you're robust in your naming conventions, that's great for other environments, but not in your Tesla if you are memory constrained. My posts upthread using dBpoweramp are how I have elected to automate all that over time reducing directory/file naming and metadata to what is really needed for me to use the MP USB interface the way I do. I then reduced the number of tracks on my USB SSD to around 7K these days. While I could originally get more than 15K scanned in if I were willing to wait more than an hour 3+ years ago, as new firmware releases have been introduced, my understanding has increased, and my tolerance for unexpected CID/MP crashes, freezes and reboots has decreased, I have reduced the number of tracks to maintain what I consider as stable environment as possible, and something that will always scan in 10-12 minutes upon reboot.

Good luck with your choices. ;)

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Krash
Tesla's in-car infotainment system ranked best in Consumer Reports survey

Interesting confirmation via a CR survey that many of us in this thread who expect more from MP USB are in a small minority.

As much as it continues to pain me with my otherwise pretty great MS, IMO this Tesla owner survey confirms why we never get any traction with Tesla Mgmt to resolve long-standing MP USB stability and functionality issues that some of us care so passionately about. It appears most Tesla owners feel MP is already the best thing there is (when it could be so much better with just a little focused one-time effort, to benefit all audiophiles and owners that want to listen to USB music their way in both today's and tomorrow's Tesla fleet, regardless of model. Don't get me started on the latest V12 Atari Game improvements that were instead delivered.)​

initial quick observation after updating to v9 2019.12.1.1

- the old off-by-1-or-more-letter quick alpha-index on the right side of the USB screen seems improved/different but still isn't 100% fixed. e.g. in some of the lists like Songs I can drag the quick index down to around M...N.. or so before the list is off by 1 letter, but in other tabs like Albums or Artists it's still off by 1 or more by the time I get to around D or E. This is with the same USB drive and same music collection as before - used to always be off by 1 at the same point but somehow something changed with 12.1.1, but I'm chalking it up to some kind of coincidental change causing it, rather than an explicit/poor attempt to fix the bug

- this is not strictly USB player, but a new annoying media player behaviour I've noticed in 2019.12.1.1 (wasn't there in 2018.50.6 or any prior version): the audio player volume is automatically reduced to around 2 any time you change gears, e.g. P->R, R->D, D->N, whatever gear, except when you put it in Park. ??? What possible reason would be there for this annoying new unannounced "feature"?

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and BertL
"I use only macOS apps to manage my master music library and create/maintain my Tesla-unique USB device"

Which application is that?
Beyond iTunes, I primarily use three:
1) Metadatics - to hand manage and inspect tags (avail on Mac App Store; integrates with Finder)
2) Export for iTunes - to do just that using iTunes playlists (avail on Mac App Store), to either directly build a USB device with tracks for playback if you can live with the limited transformation options it provides, or to create a temporary file with selected tracks as input to:
3) dBpoweramp - to rip CDs and automate tag and format conversions (avail via dBpoweramp.com). Step-by-step process and a downloadable set of presets are in a recent post of mine above — just scan back 1-3 pages and you’ll see where I more recently linked to it further back); Of related note is illustrate recently ported their PerfectTUNES app to Mac — I have not used it, but if you’re looking to clean-up your master library, find/add better album art, or even check for ripping problems you may have done in the past, it’s something to look at. I wish they would have had it for macOS when I went through album-by-album and re-ripped my 1500+ collection a few years back. NOTE: dBpoweramp, PerfectTUNES are avail for Windows as well — while I built it for macOS, my process and preset should work pretty much the same there as well.

Interesting confirmation via a CR survey that many of us in this thread who expect more from MP USB are in a small minority.

As much as it continues to pain me with my otherwise pretty great MS, IMO this Tesla owner survey confirms why we never get any traction with Tesla Mgmt to resolve long-standing MP USB stability and functionality issues that some of us care so passionately about. It appears most Tesla owners feel MP is already the best thing there is (when it could be so much better with just a little focused one-time effort, to benefit all audiophiles and owners that want to listen to USB music their way in both today's and tomorrow's Tesla fleet, regardless of model. Don't get me started on the latest V12 Atari Game improvements that were instead delivered.)​

unfortunately I think you're correct about the mismatch in opinions about the media player quality. Too bad they didn't survey some TMC members here.

Yesterday Elon’s brother Kimbal tweeted a response to the CR survey:
Kimbal Musk on Twitter

Although sadly, unlike the Tesla USB player, a 2001 iPod supports playlists, will play a variety of music formats reliably without Loading Errors, wakes up instantly without taking minutes to rescan memory contents, etc...

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 4.56.36 PM.jpg

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I have 40gb of mp3s, it loads pretty fast and plays fine, the UI is quick to search through albums. 2019.5.17. Removed APE tags. Only problem is once in a while when I return to my car nothing is playing, and even when it resumes playback I can't press back to see the album list. If they fixed that I'd be happy

I unfortunately think you are right but I still think these USB media player bugs are so easy to fix and it would make a sizeable portion of Tesla customers who like to listen to quality music in their cars very happy if they would devote even minimal resources to fixing the USB media player that many of us use as our primary source of music.

• Love
I updated to 2019.12.1.2 5c87371 (on Model 3) and it seems like the sorting functionality on the USB playlist has changed. Before, I used a script which took my playlist and prefixed each track with a number (like 001, 002, 003, etc) so that I could force the car to load my song folder in a specific order. However, it seems like the sorting has changed and I can't figure out how it works now. Anyone else have a similar experience on 12.1.2?

• Informative
I updated to 2019.12.1.2 5c87371 (on Model 3) and it seems like the sorting functionality on the USB playlist has changed. Before, I used a script which took my playlist and prefixed each track with a number (like 001, 002, 003, etc) so that I could force the car to load my song folder in a specific order. However, it seems like the sorting has changed and I can't figure out how it works now. Anyone else have a similar experience on 12.1.2?

So, for anyone else who runs into this, I found out that the car will sort the playlist based off of the "Track Number" metadata field in each folder.

• Informative
So, for anyone else who runs into this, I found out that the car will sort the playlist based off of the "Track Number" metadata field in each folder.
Okay, this is a great improvement *if* it's smart enough to recognize a folder as containing only tracks from a single album - saves me the *very* onerous effort of having to add track numbers to the name metadata. But not so great if it's doing this to every folder.

What is the new logic behind sorting *folder* names? I used to have everything nicely ordered by naming them "1977 Animals," "1979 The Wall," etc. Now they appear to be sorted totally randomly.

• Informative
Ugh. So it turns out that files within folders, ALL folders, are now sorted by track numbers. But it doesn't pay attention to disc numbers, so if you've got a double album in one folder then it will play track 1 from both discs before moving on to track 2. Dumb! And it doesn't discriminate between folders that contain single albums and mix folders, so, for example, a 300-song "classic rock mix" is going to be sorted by a couple dozen track 1s, then a couple dozen track 2s, etc... Dumber! Now I have to spend a few hours re-sorting my USB stick and mucking with the metadata.

This should not be hard to get right. All the system should need to do is this:
- If every file in a folder is from the same album, sort first by disc number, then by track number
- If not, sort alphabetically

I still can't figure out what criteria it's using to sort folders as opposed to files.

• Informative
Ugh. So it turns out that files within folders, ALL folders, are now sorted by track numbers. But it doesn't pay attention to disc numbers, so if you've got a double album in one folder then it will play track 1 from both discs before moving on to track 2. Dumb! And it doesn't discriminate between folders that contain single albums and mix folders, so, for example, a 300-song "classic rock mix" is going to be sorted by a couple dozen track 1s, then a couple dozen track 2s, etc... Dumber! Now I have to spend a few hours re-sorting my USB stick and mucking with the metadata.

This should not be hard to get right. All the system should need to do is this:
- If every file in a folder is from the same album, sort first by disc number, then by track number
- If not, sort alphabetically

I still can't figure out what criteria it's using to sort folders as opposed to files.

The funny thing is that if you sort a folder by the track number metadata tag and open that folder in the car, the right-hand side alphabetical track sort on the car's touchscreen doesn't even sort properly anymore. In fact, it's totally broken by design.

• Love
So it turns out that files within folders, ALL folders, are now sorted by track numbers. But it doesn't pay attention to disc numbers, so if you've got a double album in one folder then it will play track 1 from both discs before moving on to track 2.
Just to be sure: If I have every album in it's own folder (ie disk1 folder, disk 2 folder) I should be OK? It's just when you have multiple files in a folder that have a track 1, they will play as a group?

Trial and Error has seemed to have brought me to the conclusion that version 2019.12.1.1 has changed the criteria that the usb player is looking for while playing from the Folder tab. For the last couple of years the player was playing my music from the Folder tab in order based on the track "Title" or "Name", but with version 2019.12.1.1 it now seems to be looking at the "#". This seems to explain why my hardwork of appending 4 digit numbers to the titles no longer works. Now I am going to have to renumber all my tracks within the folders so that they play in order. I am hoping that it will accept and recognize 4 digit track numbers so that everything I did in the past matches.
I have a weird data point to add to Folder sorting in 2019.12.1.1:

I found that all of my folders of seventy minutes or less appear to sort correctly when I have put numbers in front of the track and file names (and even when I haven't adjusted the track and file names). However, my one file of three plus hours, with 37 tracks, does not sort correctly, nor can I see any pattern to the sorting order — it isn't alphabetical. This file sorted fine on 2018.50.6, so this is new. Since I don't know how it is sorting that long folder, I don't know how to fix it, although breaking it up into three folders might work.

Go figure.

• Informative
I think virtually all of my folders are over 70 minutes long. To me the whole reason for having my music in folders was so I could listen to a lot of songs in a row without picking a new folder. One of the things I like about my Kenwood radio I have in my Roadster is that once it finishes playing everything in one folder it just goes on and plays the next folder.

Anyways, my largest folder is about 400 songs. Now that I have eliminated the duplicate track numbers (there were something line 25 track number 1s, and like amounts for track 2, 3 etc.) by giving them the same number as the one I appended to the track name and file, everything works fine. A lot of work to make this change and I am still working on the other folders.

• Informative
Just to be sure: If I have every album in it's own folder (ie disk1 folder, disk 2 folder) I should be OK? It's just when you have multiple files in a folder that have a track 1, they will play as a group?
y
Right, if you have your albums sorted that way, then they'll play as sequenced on the album - so the new logic will work for you very well.

That method of sorting never appealed to me, though. The best thing about digital music is that you can organize your music any way you want to, and aren't constrained by the way the record companies chose to package it. I don't keep a lot of folders that are just a single album beginning to end, but when I do I always keep double albums in a single folder - just because a CD is limited to 74 minutes doesn't mean a USB folder needs to be.