Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Latest update has definitely changed the sort order logic again... near as I can tell, everything is sorted alphabetically by system FILENAME, rather than metadata now? Is this consistent with what others are seeing?

In Folder View, it *should* be sorted by filename. (How else do you create a playlist? This is the only way without editing the metadata within the tracks.)

In Album view, it should use metadata.

Reactions: MP3Mike
This may not have been a good test. Looking over my USB stick on the computer it appears that all the albums/folders I had tested had a numeric track order number as a unique part of the name. So it may be that they are sorted by alpha. This would mean that you would have to have all of your track names somehow pretended/addended with a track order alpha sequence. When I rip mine with DBPowerAmp it appears to do just that.

There are good reasons to sort by filename in Folder View, including making playlists, and combining tracks from "volume 1" and "volume 2" of a multi-disc album. This is one reason why most rippers automatically prepend the file name with a track number.

In *Album View* it should instead use internal track order, so that you have that option as well.

Reactions: X Fan
Late to this thread. I'm playing albums from artist view, which is fine, but is there no way to have it continue to the next album after the current one is done? I only see repeat this song and repeat this album..
Not that I am aware of. There is no concept of playlists or playing multiple albums in a set unless you somehow tagged them as one album, and then that kind of defeats the point of an album.

• Informative
Reactions: ediflyer
USB Gremlins persist in 2019.20.4.2 (with the same <7K MP3 VBR tracks on an SSD I've been using for months)

Went out to my MS this morning, opened the door and no USB music, so no joy to begin my day. MP USB was dead: Album art showing a gray note symbol, no track text and all gray controls, except for a black BACK button that would not respond. The rest of the CID appeared operational. Needed to get on the road and didn't want to wait for a full reboot, so just before I backed-out, tried a quick reboot holding only both wheel buttons (which generally kicks MP in the you-know-what to get going again) -- oddly, it took a lot longer than normal to finally get the Tesla T, but I thought all might be fine when it finally appeared ...but no. Waited a few minutes for the CID to get itself going, but USB never appeared as a MP source. Physically unplugged/plugged-in my SSD from the USB port and rescan began, ultimately allowing me to play my USB tunes once again.

I have not had that sort of problem in a very long time, but hey, I have a new ToyBox that I have not even opened! ;)

Happy (early) 4th of July to all my fellow USB Music Lovers!

• Love
Reactions: f-stop and neroden
The current software was finally good enough that I updated -- at least it fixed ONE of the major bugs and I can play my obscure albums ripped from CD with the tracks in the correct order.

Tesla still has a lot of work to do to fix USB music, but maybe someone is working on it now? That would be good news.

USB Gremlins persist in 2019.20.4.2 (with the same <7K MP3 VBR tracks on an SSD I've been using for months)

Went out to my MS this morning, opened the door and no USB music, so no joy to begin my day. MP USB was dead: Album art showing a gray note symbol, no track text and all gray controls, except for a black BACK button that would not respond. The rest of the CID appeared operational. Needed to get on the road and didn't want to wait for a full reboot, so just before I backed-out, tried a quick reboot holding only both wheel buttons (which generally kicks MP in the you-know-what to get going again) -- oddly, it took a lot longer than normal to finally get the Tesla T, but I thought all might be fine when it finally appeared ...but no. Waited a few minutes for the CID to get itself going, but USB never appeared as a MP source. Physically unplugged/plugged-in my SSD from the USB port and rescan began, ultimately allowing me to play my USB tunes once again.

I have not had that sort of problem in a very long time, but hey, I have a new ToyBox that I have not even opened! ;)

I had the same issue but on an early build of 20.4.4, had new firmware pushed out, ditched the USB Y splitter and plugged in directly. All is good mostly. USB Favorites lost, had like 1k+ over months saved.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHARE WHERE EXACTLY IS USB FAVORITES SAVED AND HOW TO RECOVER!!!
THIS IS JUST THE WORST.

I had the same issue but on an early build of 20.4.4, had new firmware pushed out, ditched the USB Y splitter and plugged in directly. All is good mostly. USB Favorites lost, had like 1k+ over months saved.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHARE WHERE EXACTLY IS USB FAVORITES SAVED AND HOW TO RECOVER!!!
THIS IS JUST THE WORST.
I have not played with favorites for a long time. Implementation last time I used it had them stored in CID RAM where they disappeared upon full reboot -- so, just not very useful to me. Tesla has changed things over time as to what remains in NVRAM and not, so this may have changed again in recent times -- even so, it's beyond our complete control when Tesla's "boot logic" may be applied and wipe out some unknown amount of data during a firmware update or unexpected auto reboot. (E.g. Earlier on, Tesla kept previously scanned album art in RAM between basic boots -- just like favs; to wipe it out, you had to do what I call a full reboot -- foot on the brake version; but that then changed again so it never seemed to be wiped out until memory was full or a different USB device and/or directory structure was put in place to essentially cause MP to disassociate old art from tracks and eventually discard them -- but I found sometimes an unexpected reboot would wipe the data out -- just in an inconsistent-to-me manner I could never explain.)

All that being said, USB implementation is just too messy, and being undocumented, makes me more than a little bit nuts with my Tesla ownership, so I've learned to live with a subset of functionality that with my unique-to-Tesla meta and naming modifications make my USB experience more consistent and less of a pain my okole. (I'll let everyone look that one up if you have not visited Hawaii. ;)). Personally, I never use USB favorites. I also never use Search as it pulls in streaming sources which I never want (I provided the suggestion to Tesla long ago about an option that allows Search to only be against a specific source or sources.). I generally use USB Songs, Genre, Album or Artist view to access my tracks -- sometimes on random, other times not. With my track meta changes described above, it works well for the most part and I don't have the standard problems others may run into.

Another thing you may want to try is to put your favorite tracks in their own subdirectory on your USB device, then use Folder View to access the tracks when you want to listen to your favorites. I appreciate you can't tag your favs while driving, but that way, you have complete control and it will only change if you do it yourself via your Mac or PC.

Good luck.

Got an update to 2019.24.4.73 and now my USB music is not starting up properly at least half of the time. I would guess the car is not waking up properly. By accident, I found out that if the USB music does not start up properly a reboot using the 2 scroll wheels will get it to do so. The really weird thing was that before I figured this out, I restarted the USB music and since I was starting over, I picked a different folder to play music out of. The new music played for about 10 minutes before I decided that I would do a reboot. I was at a stop light so I had not shut the car down yet. When the car finished it's reboot, the music came back on using the folder and track that it should have started with when I first got into the car. In other words, it did not go back to what I was just then playing, it went back to the folder and track that it originally should have been playing when I first got into the car.

Hope I explained that well enough.

So I got to my destination and had lunch. When I got back into the car 45 minutes later, the USB music once again did not start on its own. I gave it plenty of time to do so, because I have seen where sometimes it takes a little while for it to get its act together and play properly. I then rebooted the car and the music started back at the proper place.

Got an update to 2019.24.4.73 and now my USB music is not starting up properly at least half of the time. I would guess the car is not waking up properly. By accident, I found out that if the USB music does not start up properly a reboot using the 2 scroll wheels will get it to do so. The really weird thing was that before I figured this out, I restarted the USB music and since I was starting over, I picked a different folder to play music out of. The new music played for about 10 minutes before I decided that I would do a reboot. I was at a stop light so I had not shut the car down yet. When the car finished it's reboot, the music came back on using the folder and track that it should have started with when I first got into the car. In other words, it did not go back to what I was just then playing, it went back to the folder and track that it originally should have been playing when I first got into the car.

Hope I explained that well enough.

So I got to my destination and had lunch. When I got back into the car 45 minutes later, the USB music once again did not start on its own. I gave it plenty of time to do so, because I have seen where sometimes it takes a little while for it to get its act together and play properly. I then rebooted the car and the music started back at the proper place.

Rebooting was the right thing to try. Be sure though, you do what I call the “full reboot”: Foot on brake, press both scroll wheels, hold all 3 until the Tesla T appears on the CID, then release all 3. In the past, the “fast reboot” that can be done while driving (with no foot on the brake, obviously) didn’t clear and resolve as many problems. I’ve definitely had past MP problems that were not resolved with a fast reboot while driving until I pulled over and did the version with the brake.

FYI that some owners have posted they always do a manual reboot of their Tesla after each firmware update completes — because they just don’t trust Tesla’s firmware update process to do it. I personally have never done that as I figure Tesla will/should reboot the CID themselves if they need to after an update and I can do it myself in the less frequent situation if things seem squirlly. FWIW, I updated to 24.4 last night and didn’t have the same problem as you did when I drove my MS this morning — USB MP was working normally including picked-up on the same track that was playing before the firmware update — so hopefully a full reboot will get your MP going once again... if not, post and I’ll offer some other ideas to at least try. Good luck!

Full reboots did not fix the problem. I am 0 for 3 for the USB player to start up after the full reboot.

I also noticed something else. The first 2 times the USB player did not start up, I rebooted again, but nothing happened. No music.

The 3rd time when the USB player did not start, I started the USB player with a different folder and then rebooted. In that case the USB player started up on the original folder (not the new folder) and where the music had left off before.

Full reboots did not fix the problem. I am 0 for 3 for the USB player to start up after the full reboot.

I also noticed something else. The first 2 times the USB player did not start up, I rebooted again, but nothing happened. No music.

The 3rd time when the USB player did not start, I started the USB player with a different folder and then rebooted. In that case the USB player started up on the original folder (not the new folder) and where the music had left off before.

Just noted something else, I probably should have seen it before. The media player appears to be defaulting to TuneIn. This is despite the fact that I never have used it and do not have an account.

Yes, the defaulting to TuneIn seems to be what happens lately when MP goes bezerk. I've had it happen at least a couple times in the past few months with varying firmware releases.

Full Reboot has always fixed the USB problem for me -- at least the odd problems that are not reproducible upon demand. IDK if you also have a MS and what year it may be (CID processors and I suspect available memory varies so that's always another difference beyond firmware release) -- assuming yours is like mine (see my epilog below), then we can't say the problem you're encountering is reproducible by multiples of us, so it perhaps is specific to you and we should try to rules a few things out.

I can't explain why the problem you're having seems to have come up after the last firmware update, but we also have almost zero idea what Tesla does to firmware from release-to-release -- their notes are far from complete (we, or at least I highly suspect e.g. they have in the past made changes to underlying USB error recovery and other firmware so changes beyond MP itself could always be causing a problem with something unique to your situation.). Also HW does fail from time-to-time -- that could be your USB device, your USB cable, or even the MS USB port itself (there have been reports of USB ports needing replacement, although I wouldn't say it's common.)

Given that, here's what I'd try in your situation:
  • Try eliminating any cable you have between your USB device and the MS USB port. Discussed upthread, but there are instances not just in Teslas, where I absolutely know cheap knockoff cables have caused intermittent or permanent failures -- and yes, they can come out of the blue with just a little touch of a problematic cable or y-splitter.
  • Try using a new USB device (stick with the name brands if you can vs brands you can't pronounce or came free in a cereal box ;) -- again discussion upthread of testing I did with multiple brands and types if you care to explore that.) My suggestion is reformat a new USB stick of sufficient size (FAT or FAT32 is best), then with both plugged-in to your PC or Mac, copy the whole thing from the old one to new with the same directory structure and naming. Give the new device a try without a cable.
  • If that is still failing, try changing the highest level directory name on your USB device to something different. That will force MP to loose all connection of what it may be retaining in memory between reboots and the tracks on your USB device.
    • You want your directory structure to be something like:
      • /2019-07-26
        • /Albumname
          • Tracks
          • Tracks...
    • You don't have to be exactly like that or even with tracks under album names, but it's always easiest in a Tesla to begin with a top "fake" directory name that you can easily change to fake-out Tesla's code to force a full rescan of your device -- it's the only way around the "improvement" they made awhile back. I keep my top directory name with a date, and when I make changes to my USB device on my Mac, I just rename that top directory to something different before I plug it back into my MS, which will cause MP to rescan every track and rebuild all metadata including album art back into memory.
  • If that is still failing, I'd try making a very simple USB device with only a few tracks: Format at FAT or FAT32; No more than a couple dozen tracks, and place them all in the root directory so you're basically ruling out quantity, too many directory names, etc. that may impact memory usage.
  • I've been assuming you're using a "supported" (or at least what we think is) encoding type -- MP3, FLAC, etc. If so and you're still failing, then I'd look at each of those few tracks on the USB device very carefully with a metadata app -- verify you have no odd non-US keyboard characters in filenames or any of the primary meta fields Tesla uses (that problem with non-US characters was fixed a few years ago -- we thought).
  • At that point, if you're still failing, I'd call Tesla tech support and ask if there is another way to get a complete reboot done of your MS done -- maybe have them walk you through it over the phone, or ask if you should bring your MS in for service. Yes sure to tell them you are using the same USB device you always have, with the same data, and it fails after the last firmware update -- they'll have you try another USB device, so you'll be one step ahead there, but if they don't find a USB port problem will likely just say "sorry, maybe a future firmware update will help" -- that's what they always used to tell me, so I don't even bring this subject up with Tesla any more. :(
Good luck. Please report back. Will try to help more if I can based on what you find. Always interested in what problems people have AND their ultimate resolution is so we can pass that knowledge on to some other owner one day.

In other threads re browser performance, a solution in older Ss is to delete all past nav destinations. Your S stores them forever and they take up much space. I wonder if that would also help with USB issues. More cache space can only help!
Right. In that regard, delete nav history and ensure minimal phone contacts as well. One other thing your suggestion brings to mind is I wonder if “1000 favorites” @Sparrow had marked is also consuming a bunch of memory — hard to say since we don’t know exactly how Tesla is retaining the in-memory pointers and meta with the physical USB device... and with Tesla’s “improved” method awhile back (I suspect) to speed up scans by not eliminating metadata with a full reboot, that old fav tagging may be sticking around. Only way I believe he could get rid of that would be the trick with faking-out the scan/rescan logic by changing the high-level directory name and/or track names, and inserting a USB device that does not appear to match what was inserted before... If @Sparrow works his way through my suggestions above, I hope that will also get rid of any left over favorite tagging that is reducing available memory.

My vehicle is an 11/18 build Model X. So it has 2.5 AP at this time. Of course as we have said, everything worked perfectly until I got 2019.24.4 73fb1ab a few days ago. At this point the USB player does not start up on its own. I can, however, push the USB, pick a file and it works fine until the next time I drive and it does not start up again. The device has been a 32g ScanDisk and it has always been connected directly to the port in the car, no cables or splitters etc.

Out of your suggestions the first thing I am going to try is moving the current USB device to the other port. It was previously plugged into the one closest to the driver, now it is the one closest to the passenger. Another thing I have done is unplug the separate TeslaCam USB device I had previously in the USB outlet closest to the passenger. It is now disconnected.

If that does not work, I will try a different USB drive. These steps will probably take a while to go thru, especially if I have partial success on any of them.

Taking out the TeslaCam USB device and moving the music USB to the other port did not work.

I then tried a 2g drive with about 40 songs on it and it did not work.

I then reformatted the drive I was using for TeslaCam, so no TeslaCam folder anymore, put all the music on it and it is not working either.

When I say not working, I am only referring to the USB music source starting up properly. In every case now TuneIn is the default. If I press USB and manually pick a folder and music to play it all works. The car just does not remember that I was using USB as my source.

Oh, I also failed to mention that all the music is MP3.

Also since the car is only 8 months old and I have not taken any trips in it yet, there are almost no navigational destinations in the memory.

I guess I will try changing the directory name.