Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerns about Tesla to non-Tesla charging adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the address of the offender. Now go report it Tesla Morality Squad! I would wager that 5% of the HPWC recipients don't install their gifted HPWC at the promised location.

Meditrina Small Plates & Wine Bar

• 1394 SW Temple
    Salt Lake City, UT 84115

I don't know about a morality squad, but I emailed [email protected] about this post so they can follow up. Maybe it's not your intention, but your tone makes it sound like you think it's ok for them not to have installed it. I really think this would be the exception and not 5% as you would wager-- this is the first I've seen mentioned of any phantom destination charging station. A hotel was reported on TMC recently to have all of them out of order and not fixing them, and Tesla took the location off the list.

Exactly. In fact I know of a Tesla listed destination charger at a restaurant that was never installed. It's probably installed at the owner's home or that of a friend. Tesla doesn't monitor all these installations. Business owners with Teslas simply see it as a way to get a free HPWC to install at their kids or parents house. Most of the owners of these donated destination chargers are not dialed-in enthusiasts like us. Business owner may seldom be a the premises. They just know that an upscale electric car owner will patronize their business.

Noel,

Tesla is stretched thin on the Destination Charging Program and it may take some time to close the loop, but it would be a big mistake to think that they won't eventually check in with the destination to ensure that the equipment eventually gets installed and then take the appropriate action if the location fails to fullfil their part of the deal.

Larry

I think you'll see lots of folks coming up with HPWC adapter ideas as Tesla continues to deploy destination chargers. Here is one that I've developed.
Adapter1 (500x375).jpg
Adapter2 (500x375).jpg
Adapter3 (500x375).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like it's 3D printed, and you can buy standard pin-and-sleeve ends from a lot of supply houses.
You are correct. It's 3D printed. The J1772 part is store bought. I reverse engineered the charge inlet from Tesla's $100 TSL02 to J1772 adapter. Tesla wouldn't sell me the charge inlet stating it was a dangerous high voltage part and only their folks can install it. Probably would have also been very expensive anyway. I wish I could get that sleeve from a supply house. Let me know where.

You are correct. It's 3D printed. The J1772 part is store bought. I reverse engineered the charge inlet from Tesla's $100 TSL02 to J1772 adapter. Tesla wouldn't sell me the charge inlet stating it was a dangerous high voltage part and only their folks can install it. Probably would have also been very expensive anyway. I wish I could get that sleeve from a supply house. Let me know where.

It appears that my supplier is no longer in business... I'll poke around a bit more and reach out if I find something similar.

What did you use for pins in your printed inlet?

It appears that my supplier is no longer in business... I'll poke around a bit more and reach out if I find something similar.

What did you use for pins in your printed inlet?

I turned them on a metal lathe. The big Tesla power inlet pins are 9 mm. Exactly the same diameter as pins in the big clunky CHAdeMO plug. The Tesla's ground pin is 3.66 mm. Exactly the same diameter as the power pin on a J1772 power inlet.

No... what's being shown in the thread is an adapter that allows a Tesla HPWC to be used with a non Tesla car that has a J1772 inlet, such as a Leaf, Volt, etc... Such cars could then take advantage of HPWC's found at hotels and the like.

What you are showing is a modified UMC that allows a J1772 car to use a standard outlet (14-50, 5-15, etc...). No HPWC usage possible with that.
Duh! Sorry, seems pretty obvious now. I got UMC (aka mobile connector) mixed up with HPWC (aka wall connector) lingo. I should have it clear in my head by the time the X arrives. My CHAdeMO adapter arrived just today. Planning trips through TN.

In Europe and Australia, Tesla uses the Menekes standard connector. I am really surprised that Mercedes have fitted a J1772 socket to the car. Menekes is widely available in public chargers all over Europe. The connector is a bit broader at the car end than your USA connector, so we don't have the LED ring around the charge port. Instead we have a about 4 LEDS in a line just aft of the charge port. Where the leds are in the USA accommodates the larger diameter plug end. I, and many others here in Australia own a J1772 to Menekes adaptor cable. It is indeed a straight through connector just adjusting the physical pins to fit. The car end of the adaptor simply lacks the button that exists on the Tesla fitting to unlock the cable. So, all we do is use the dashboard button (touch screen) to unlock and then remove the adaptor. No biggie here.

In Europe and Australia, Tesla uses the Menekes standard connector. I am really surprised that Mercedes have fitted a J1772 socket to the car. Menekes is widely available in public chargers all over Europe. The connector is a bit broader at the car end than your USA connector, so we don't have the LED ring around the charge port. Instead we have a about 4 LEDS in a line just aft of the charge port. Where the leds are in the USA accommodates the larger diameter plug end. I, and many others here in Australia own a J1772 to Menekes adaptor cable. It is indeed a straight through connector just adjusting the physical pins to fit. The car end of the adaptor simply lacks the button that exists on the Tesla fitting to unlock the cable. So, all we do is use the dashboard button (touch screen) to unlock and then remove the adaptor. No biggie here.

Would have been nice. Wonder why they didn't use that standard here?

I turned them on a metal lathe. The big Tesla power inlet pins are 9 mm. Exactly the same diameter as pins in the big clunky CHAdeMO plug. The Tesla's ground pin is 3.66 mm. Exactly the same diameter as the power pin on a J1772 power inlet.

While I can appreciate your ingenuity, I am disturbed by your egoism.
While you are getting a free charge you may very well be the HPWC Typhoid Mary with the adapter contacts turned on your lathe.
I anticipate you are not a electrical engineer/electrical contact designer and have yet to have the knowledge to understand the metallurgy of electrical contacts and the effects of these material under a high current load.
These contacts need to be made/designed from the correct materials with the contacts positioned within tolerance and correct float within the housing to prevent spreading the contacts and life tested to insure they work as intended.

That is, each and every HPWC you use your adapter (or others that have Rube Goldberg an adapter) may very well be damaging the HPWC output connector by the transfer of metal from your Rube Goldberg connector to the HPWC output connector.
Then when your Tesla buddy uses that HPWC after your adapter has dirtied up the HPWC output connector the connector drawing 80 amps could fail and/or damage and/or dirty up the cars charge-port connector.
This may not show up as frequently using the HPWC but when we use a Supercharger the dirty charge-port connector may fail.

Should the charge-port on a Tesla fail at a supercharger the car is of little use for the intended trip until the charge-port is replaced

So now along with range/charge anxiety we now have to contend with non-Tesla adapter damaged output connector anxiety.

While you and others think it is cool to build an adapter to get over on Tesla, I do not think it is cool at all.
I could care less about the cost of the electricity it is the abuse of the EVSE hardware that I need to use that disturbs me.

Last edited:
You're disturbed by my egoism? Thanks for the long winded review of the most basic design criteria imaginable.

How about a shorter review?
Please for the good of the greater Tesla EV community stop using your unauthorized adapter.

High current contacts are not basic nor is the design criteria an issue of your imagination.

Reliable connector contacts and housing are a science that require specific engineering knowledge; especially a high current connector that needs to repeatedly mate with a network of other connectors in a outdoor environment.
Therefore, if it is not engineered to be compatible with the network of Tesla EVSE is destroying that equipment.

My hope is, Tesla will soon be addressing your desire to get an occasional free charge from their facilities by installing J1772 EVSE, so non-Tesla EV owners can be accommodated and they will be less likely to use unauthorized adapters that have the potential to damage the proprietary network of Tesla chargers and the EV charge-port we rely on.

C'mon. Maybe ChargePoint or Blink considers the J1772 adapter that comes with the Model S as "unauthorized" as well. Does that mean Model S owners should cease and desist from using those?
I think the counter point is that the Tesla's would be professionally designed, engineered and tested with the right materials meeting the appropriate standards.
I anticipate you are not a electrical engineer/electrical contact designer and have yet to have the knowledge to understand the metallurgy of electrical contacts and the effects of these material under a high current load.
These contacts need to be made/designed from the correct materials with the contacts positioned within tolerance and correct float within the housing to prevent spreading the contacts and life tested to insure they work as intended.

How about a shorter review?
Please for the good of the greater Tesla EV community stop using your unauthorized adapter.

High current contacts are not basic nor is the design criteria an issue of your imagination.

Reliable connector contacts and housing are a science that require specific engineering knowledge; especially a high current connector that needs to repeatedly mate with a network of other connectors in a outdoor environment.
Therefore, if it is not engineered to be compatible with the network of Tesla EVSE is destroying that equipment.

My hope is, Tesla will soon be addressing your desire to get an occasional free charge from their facilities by installing J1772 EVSE, so non-Tesla EV owners can be accommodated and they will be less likely to use unauthorized adapters that have the potential to damage the proprietary network of Tesla chargers and the EV charge-port we rely on.

So... Would you like for me to go ahead and cross you off the potential customer list?