Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So basically, they can be water droplet and mist free? Even when "Certain environmental factors may increase the likelihood of normal condensation, such as a temperature drop at dusk or high humidity in the environment. "? ie water droplets permanently present at all times inside cluster in all UK weather conditions in 3+ months is not normal?

Not sure if the misting I'm seeing all the time qualifies under the criteria in that video or not. Seems odd that it's there even after a long drive. These were the photos I took within ten minutes of arriving home from a four hour trip:

View attachment 497859

I had basically the same photos and they said its within spec with basically the details that are in that video.

• Informative
Reactions: Glan gluaisne
So basically, they can be water droplet and mist free? Even when "Certain environmental factors may increase the likelihood of normal condensation, such as a temperature drop at dusk or high humidity in the environment. "? ie water droplets permanently present at all times inside cluster in all UK weather conditions in 3+ months is not normal?

There are four of us at my office with M3's mine was the only one with misting (or in fact visible water) - so this is not something that all units suffer from. It was only the right hand side pair for me - the left have always been (so far) entirely mist free.....

Reactions: MrBadger
So just had a mobile service for this...

Unfortunately they ordered the wrong part so he just did the bonnet adjustment. Lowered latching mechanism and now it's much better (not perfect, but a lot better). He said it's a bit warped and by having one side pushed up and the other side gets pushed down (used the stoppers) it will bend into shape over time. So there you have it... He also said he's seen much worse and mine is a good example :eek:

Anyhoo...

The criteria for replacing the lights is that condensation has to be big drops and running down. If it's not doing that it's within "Tesla" spec (i.e. sh1t, but we won't fix it).

Interestingly he said that the new light clusters don't have this problem. So they know it's a problem, but only fix it if it's severe ... YAY....

Anyway, waiting for another call out. All 4 of mine are fogging, but just one has drops. He said wait for the left one to get drops and schedule another service.

A few tidbits:

They have about 100 rangers and should get to about 200 by the end of the year.

All the mobile service appointments will be an option soon... Although not sure how soon.

And apparently there is talk that they might user cybertrucks in the future...

/gossip

Mine are really bad now:

upload_2020-1-21_15-57-3.png

They were like this when I was at the Bristol SC yesterday, but I was told this is "normal", as the lights are vented. To my way of thinking, having water running down and pooling inside the light units is far from normal.

Reactions: JS77
Mine are really bad now:

View attachment 502795

They were like this when I was at the Bristol SC yesterday, but I was told this is "normal", as the lights are vented. To my way of thinking, having water running down and pooling inside the light units is far from normal.

I have reported misting in both rear lights and in SC Dartford told me that is common for Teslas, unless you get water inside the lights, try to monitor it and see if water dissappear after long ish drive, in my opinion yours should be fixed, especially you don't have this issue on side lights.

I drove around 150 miles yesterday, and the lights stayed the same, much as they are in that 'photo above, that I took a few minutes ago.

They've been constantly misted up to some degree since I've had the car, but it's been getting steadily worse over the last month or so.

I think I might send the above 'photo in with another service request and see what happens. My car wasn't in the SC yesterday for the light misting problem, so the chap didn't really look at them, just said that the misting up was "normal".

The only thing they will go on is the pictures so make sure you choose your best ;)

They are so unorganised they won’t have time to do extra manual checks every time, they care only about saving time and will waste money elsewhere. After all they are only really limited by man power.

Mine are really bad now:

View attachment 502795

That is what mine looked like - I did send multiple photos showing it deteriorating to this point but after a couple of email back and forths they capitulated. It's clearly not acceptable - I pointed out that I am one of four people in the office with a Model 3 and only mine showed this issue - and it is certainly known about as the new parts don't do it........keep pushing it.

see if water dissappear after long ish drive

Actually the opposite happens..........

They mist more while you drive.

When I came back to my parked car after holidays (not driving for 12 days) they were clear, the drive home generated drops again.

It's warmer air inside the light hitting the cold surface that causes the condensation. I also think thy "vent" into the boot. So the air from inside the car is going into the light and condensing due to cold temps outside.

The mechanic also checked if my boot is damp, as that is also a common issue.

misting up was "normal".

Basically do a service through the app and append pic, if there are drops its not "normal" and they replace it. Mobile service does this. Even the mechanic said just keep scheduling services till they replace them, begging at the SC doesnt do anything, it has to go through the system. The part is ordered then a job is done.

Once my other light gets drops I'm doing this straight away again.

• Informative
Many thanks, @Yev000 your description of warm air from inside the car flowing into the lights and then condensing out moisture on the cold lens makes complete sense, and tallies with my lights looking far worse after driving to Bristol and back on Monday.

I'll send the 'photos via the app and see what happens. If that much water stays inside the lights I can see it turning green before too long.

Issue here too. Mainly on right hand light. Yet to book service due to distance from home.
Mobile service finally available in the North East. Scheduled for Friday to get RHS replaced. Tesla sent SMS asking for more photos to confirm issue before ordering parts.

Looks like they’re keep the appointment... will update Friday

This is my car today in cold and wet Seattle. It’ll clear when the rain stops. So it’s only like this around 6 months of the year. Lol.

Attachments

• 99A22D79-D816-4B88-BB02-A88D212CE6D2.jpeg
    99A22D79-D816-4B88-BB02-A88D212CE6D2.jpeg
    612.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 711B69AB-F58A-442D-833D-76079196BF24.jpeg
    711B69AB-F58A-442D-833D-76079196BF24.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 70385C3F-F5FF-410E-B0F4-7D7ACF253381.jpeg
    70385C3F-F5FF-410E-B0F4-7D7ACF253381.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 64
  • 49507D26-9B5D-4DE2-887E-892742FA012D.jpeg
    49507D26-9B5D-4DE2-887E-892742FA012D.jpeg
    687.4 KB · Views: 48
Many thanks, @Yev000 your description of warm air from inside the car flowing into the lights and then condensing out moisture on the cold lens makes complete sense, and tallies with my lights looking far worse after driving to Bristol and back on Monday.

I'll send the 'photos via the app and see what happens. If that much water stays inside the lights I can see it turning green before too long.

...turn the heat up high and carry a wet towel - should fog up and droplet nicely or some pics...

My rear lights are the same. Bought the car Sept 2019

Booked a mobile service to replace them but they looked at the pictures and said they were normal. Excuse: Led lights do not generate the same heat as old bulbs etc.. it seems Tesla defines normal differently to most of us. The fact the mist is clearly interfering with the way the lenses are supposed to work must mean that the lights are nnot working as designed and they are not 'fit for purpose' under uk consumer rights laws.

Once they are a couple of years old and out of warranty they will be starting to turn green. Tesla will then bill us for replacements. Whats the best way to push back on this -as a group?