Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered the accessory hitch (1.25") but got the same Bosal removable receiver than everyone else (2"). The weight limit is listed on the Bosal hitch receiver, and it's exactly the same than what is listed for the Tow Package. It would be irresponsible to print something the car is not capable of doing, so the hardware part is certainly the same. Along the way they probably thought they could streamline production by only having one hardware solution. But it makes their decision to remove the software safety features all the more puzzling.
I imagine there are two things at play. First, they want to be fair to those of us who paid for the option (for the record, I don't care if you guys get full towing without paying). Second, there may be some towing-related additional service risk, and they hope that by telling owners to only use "accessory" weight objects, that risk (which is part of the $750) is mitigated. Overall, though, I agree that since there is a receiver with explicit limits pasted on it, the software should always be enabled.

Reactions: 2virgule5
First yes the Tech did activate the software for the trailer package.

My car has VIN 6400 range, and It did not appear to have the correct bumper either that my tech was expecting when he initially tried the install a month ago. It actually took two appointments to get the hitch installed. On the first appointment when my Tech, who is the Lead Tech for my area, took off all the bumper cladding, he told me I had the wrong bumper for the hitch assembly. He then put everything back on and reached out to Houston who has done a number of these retrofits and ultimately Fremont for clarification.

I just spoke to my Tech again this morning asking about the question about incompatible bumpers, he said that it used to be that you had to have a specific bumper to accept the hitch assembly, but now the hitch assembly is designed to replace the existing bumper Try and have your service center reverify by inquiry about the retrofit.
Apparently your Service Center is are going on old information. If you run into a roadblock PM me you SC contact and I will try and have my local Tech reach out to them.

So did the cost include replacing the bumper? Also, is there a removable 'cover' on the bottom of the rear fascia where the hitch goes? I don't think mine has that, did yours?

@Racerx22b, when did you confirm your order? It was my understanding that Tesla finally discontinued the Accessory Hitch a few months ago since up to then they were just providing the Bosal Tow Hitch to anyone ordering the Accessory Hitch.

The Accessory Hitch was supposed to be a Tesla-designed solution to quickly and easily add a bike rack that was so easy that a 10 year-old kid could quickly install it in 10 seconds.

I purchased an inventory car. Built in 2016.

We ordered the accessory hitch (1.25") but got the same Bosal removable receiver than everyone else (2"). The weight limit is listed on the Bosal hitch receiver, and it's exactly the same than what is listed for the Tow Package. It would be irresponsible to print something the car is not capable of doing, so the hardware part is certainly the same. Along the way they probably thought they could streamline production by only having one hardware solution. But it makes their decision to remove the software safety features all the more puzzling.
Every part has its engineering limits. The removable hitch receiver may be capable of those loads, but it does not mean that the structure of the car can hold those loads or that the trailer(or the accessory rack) you attach can hold those loads. Limits are based on the weakest link, which is not necessarily the bosal part in any given configuration.

I imagine there are two things at play. First, they want to be fair to those of us who paid for the option (for the record, I don't care if you guys get full towing without paying).

I bought an inventory car with an accessory hitch, I would not mind paying for the software upgrade either if it was just that.

So did the cost include replacing the bumper? Also, is there a removable 'cover' on the bottom of the rear fascia where the hitch goes? I don't think mine has that, did yours?

Also, was it the wrong bumper? Or the wrong bumper cover as myblubu is referring to here?

Every part has its engineering limits. The removable hitch receiver may be capable of those loads, but it does not mean that the structure of the car can hold those loads or that the trailer(or the accessory rack) you attach can hold those loads. Limits are based on the weakest link, which is not necessarily the bosal part in any given configuration.

This is the only thing that makes sense right now if there is indeed a hardware difference. Either an extra bracing plate, longer/stronger bolts maybe?

The hitch and receiver itself is confirmed to be the same hardware. That much we know.

I agree, and this is probably why they've axed the Accessory Hitch option completely and now only offer the full Towing Package.

Reactions: ohmman
Out of curiosity for the ones with the software: when you are towing something (or even with the bike rack on), do you have the constant warning sound when you are in reverse? With just the accessory hitch and the bike rack the sensors are detecting an object (obviously) and they keep beeping annoyingly. You'd think a software solution is possible (ie if the object is following you at exactly the same distance whatever the speed it's probably attached to the car, at least until the next 'park' event).

On the topic of being fair to the one that paid for the full tow package vs just the accessory hitch, I agree with the principle of fairness. I'm not planning to use it to tow things anyway. But Tesla just created a potential mess & liability with its label. What will happen when I sell my X to someone else and they start to tow things with Autopilot engaged?

Out of curiosity for the ones with the software: when you are towing something (or even with the bike rack on), do you have the constant warning sound when you are in reverse? With just the accessory hitch and the bike rack the sensors are detecting an object (obviously) and they keep beeping annoyingly. You'd think a software solution is possible (ie if the object is following you at exactly the same distance whatever the speed it's probably attached to the car, at least until the next 'park' event).

On the topic of being fair to the one that paid for the full tow package vs just the accessory hitch, I agree with the principle of fairness. I'm not planning to use it to tow things anyway. But Tesla just created a potential mess & liability with its label. What will happen when I sell my X to someone else and they start to tow things with Autopilot engaged?
Yes. I get annoying reminders with my bike rack on. Not only when in reverse but also when I slow to almost a stop. It's a warning that the Park Assist feature is not available. The reverse warning is especially strong when I have the rack folded up and not in use. Probably because it's a lot more metal than the bicycles (which are mostly carbon fiber).

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
Can't you disable the warning sounds? My wife has all of them turned off on her Model S. Our garage is tight and all the beeping freaks her out so we just turned them off?

Are you getting visual alerts as well?

It's fairly standard equipment on almost every truck or SUV I have driven with a trailer to have an option to disable the reverse/parking sensors when a trailer is in use. Surprised their isn't a "button" for this on the X.

Jason

Can't you disable the warning sounds? My wife has all of them turned off on her Model S. Our garage is tight and all the beeping freaks her out so we just turned them off?

Are you getting visual alerts as well?

It's fairly standard equipment on almost every truck or SUV I have driven with a trailer to have an option to disable the reverse/parking sensors when a trailer is in use. Surprised their isn't a "button" for this on the X.

Jason

Yep, I guess it's time we all send our feedback/request @[email protected] (or whatever the feedback link is nowadays).

Possible.

However it is also possible any such marketed limitations are historical relicts of the plans to have 1.25" accessory hitch.

Simply disabling software is differentiating the Tesla way...

I was just told via email by the Dania Beach, FL SC that it can be done. They had my VIN to go off of so I can't confirm if it can be done for all Model X's or what Model X's it is possible for.

As a reminder, I have the factory installed Accessory Hitch. I was told it was $750 if the Towbar is already in place and $1250 if it wasn't in place (I have no idea what that means). They would need to inspect vehicle in person to determine the price.

Vin 21525