Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1671.JPG
How would you have everything but the software to enable trailer mode? 3rd party install..?

I have the hitch, all the wiring, but just lack the software

View attachment 223255

I have the hitch, all the wiring, but just lack the software

And you paid for no type of accessory, hitch or towing as part of your original order? I would say best case is make an appointment with a SC take it in and see if they can work a deal and turn it on for you cheap. Worst case is they charge you $1200 making the whole thing a software option.

Not very helpful I know but its going to be a serious case of your your mileage may vary. Gotta see if its worth the money and gotta see if you will get the use out of it.

I have a feeling with the 3 coming soon, Tesla is less likely to allow modification of existing cars like how they pulled the HEPA upgrade so I'd make a choice sooner than later. :)

Guys, anyone willing to purchase a Trailer Hitch Adapter (1027582-00-A) for me, please?
Tesla wouldn't sell it to me, as my Model X is European and they said they were not allowed to sell this part in Europe. I do have all the hardware installed; I only need the 2" US hitch adapter.

I need it sent to Houston, TX. I have an address there and I can pay with PayPal, US bank transfer, Western Union (not preferred). Will pay full price, plus shipping and whatever extra you want for the favor.

Please PM =)

Cheers
Mladen

Guys, anyone willing to purchase a Trailer Hitch Adapter (1027582-00-A) for me, please?
Tesla wouldn't sell it to me, as my Model X is European and they said they were not allowed to sell this part in Europe. I do have all the hardware installed; I only need the 2" US hitch adapter.

I need it sent to Houston, TX. I have an address there and I can pay with PayPal, US bank transfer, Western Union (not preferred). Will pay full price, plus shipping and whatever extra you want for the favor.

It pops up on eBay every now and then, that might be your best bet.

Oops, I thought someone said this part costs over $400 and is hard to order, and I didn't see any others for sale to compare. I had someone asking for a lower price as I read the last couple posts here today, so I lowered it to his asking, and it just sold.

As for the why, I wanted to be able to load up a large cargo tray and swing-away frame with 4 cheap bikes or mulch bags etc, and all the talk of 125 lbs had me thinking about the engineering connection of this hidden hitch. I doubt 125 lbs is accurate, but neither is full tongue weight. Then I stumbled across the Draw-Tite hitch for Model X for $155 delivered, and I ordered one to install to replace the accessory/tow hitch. It will be a permanent "normal" class 3 hitch with 750 lbs tongue weight, and enough tray load capacity for all my use cases. An added bonus is the panel will be cut to allow no air gap to collect road debris and dirt like the hidden hitch. I'll post pictures once complete.

Then I stumbled across the Draw-Tite hitch for Model X for $155 delivered, and I ordered one to install to replace the accessory/tow hitch. It will be a permanent "normal" class 3 hitch with 750 lbs tongue weight, and enough tray load capacity for all my use cases.

For those interested here are the install instructions that they say should only take ~75 minutes: http://www.draw-tite.com/support/installation/N76143.pdf

It is interesting that the site says the tongue weight limit is 500 lbs. while the install instructions say 750 lbs. But I have no doubt that it would support more weight than the Bosal system Tesla is using.

I wonder what the chances of Tesla making a, reasonably priced, package to provide the light hook-up and enable the software is for people that just install the Draw-Tite solution.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian