Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like there is no chance to install the tow pack anymore ( at least in EU) i've 100d without tow pack, and actually i don't need it, but as my SC told me this is the only way to install the Ski rack. But SC says that from 27th October they cant do it anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Looks like there is no chance to install the tow pack anymore ( at least in EU) i've 100d without tow pack, and actually i don't need it, but as my SC told me this is the only way to install the Ski rack. But SC says that from 27th October they cant do it anymore.
Interesting (and disappointing) if this is consistently true. Sometimes a single SC has bad information. Maybe we can hope for that for now.

Man, this is why I added it this last Summer. I expect that all the SCs are going to have to stop doing retrofit type work as they are prepping/streamlining their work. They are going to have a ton of new S/X and Model 3s to deal with each there, faster than the can expand to support.

Makes sense to not offer it in the long run, BUT it is still sold here in the USA on the website so imagine that for now we can get it, and that won't last too much longer...

Man, this is why I added it this last Summer. I expect that all the SCs are going to have to stop doing retrofit type work as they are prepping/streamlining their work. They are going to have a ton of new S/X and Model 3s to deal with each there, faster than the can expand to support.

Makes sense to not offer it in the long run, BUT it is still sold here in the USA on the website so imagine that for now we can get it, and that won't last too much longer...
Out of stock on the site currently...

And the biggest problem, you can`t even get the tow bar mounted somewhere else. This because Tesla won`t give you the papers you need for legal registration in EU)

I put in an account escalation to try to get some attention on the tow package being out of stock for almost 2 months now.
My Ticket:
One of the major considerations for purchasing this vehicle was that it had the capability to tow. My wife and I are avid road bikers and have a camp trailer. I purchased this vehicle out of inventory stock, every sales person I spoke to told me I could add the tow package once I received the car. I even went as far to ask if I should purchase the tow package up front and add it to the car before I took delivery. They advised me to wait until after delivery; which occured 9/27/2017 I immediately went to purchase the tow package that day. Unfortunately it was out of stock and has been ever since. A) Please do not discontinue the ability to add the tow package without letting inventory buyers have the promised chance to purchase. B) Please replenish stock on the tow package so I can purchase it.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman and Stasla
At first, none. Eventually led to a $500 repair bill. (It's $750 to unlock the software)

It tows it just fine, but it eventually caused damage to some electronics (body controller?) SC ended up having to replace it and cited excessive weight/improper towing as the reason and I was nowhere near the hitch limit.

I did this when the software wasn't available for us. If it still wasn't available I'd say go for it and give it a shot (and did)

With it available and given the repair vs software unlock price, it just isn't worth the risk and I'd recommend grabbing the software.
Hi Yinn, can you tell me more about the damage as a result of towing with the HW but no SW? This is my situation and I'm thinking about towing a small U-haul trailer to haul some stuff. Total miles is about 100.

Reactions: mkhalasi85
Hi Yinn, can you tell me more about the damage as a result of towing with the HW but no SW? This is my situation and I'm thinking about towing a small U-haul trailer to haul some stuff. Total miles is about 100.

I rented a Home Depot open trailer (5x8) to move some large but lightweight patio furniture. I don’t recall the total miles anymore, but I’d estimate about 75 total miles after taking into account pickup and drop off of the rental. Some local, some highway.

After towing, I had a trailer error light on the dash. Driving it around, I couldn’t tell a difference and kept hoping the light would turn off. It didn’t, and had to take it to the S.C.

As of now, I am software enabled, and been towing maybe at least several hundred miles of an enclosed loaded trailer with no issues. The suspension does load level with the trailer too and I notice the trailer is more stable with the software. I’m not quite sure how it all works, but I’m not sure I’d doubt the effectiveness and value of having the software enabled.

I rented a Home Depot open trailer (5x8) to move some large but lightweight patio furniture. I don’t recall the total miles anymore, but I’d estimate about 75 total miles after taking into account pickup and drop off of the rental. Some local, some highway.

After towing, I had a trailer error light on the dash. Driving it around, I couldn’t tell a difference and kept hoping the light would turn off. It didn’t, and had to take it to the S.C.

As of now, I am software enabled, and been towing maybe at least several hundred miles of an enclosed loaded trailer with no issues. The suspension does load level with the trailer too and I notice the trailer is more stable with the software. I’m not quite sure how it all works, but I’m not sure I’d doubt the effectiveness and value of having the software enabled.
Good to know. I won't risk it thanks to your experience so thank you for sharing; however, I am curious...with no SW: 1) is the wiring harness live? Like do the trailer brake lights work? 2) does anything come on on the dash if you connect a trailer?

Good to know. I won't risk it thanks to your experience so thank you for sharing; however, I am curious...with no SW: 1) is the wiring harness live? Like do the trailer brake lights work? 2) does anything come on on the dash if you connect a trailer?

The wiring is live. The lights all work - I tested all of them prior to towing. When you connect a trailer, the car assumes it’s an accessory carrier and the light on the dash shows it as such. It’s the same icon but different color when trailer mode is connected.

Making what i think is my first post on TMC to ask...
is there any way to get JUST the receiver instead of the entire tow package?
This bosal 2" hitch receiver adapter used to be sold on etrailers.com but they stopped carrying it a few years ago. and it looks like bosal has completely stopped selling them at all!
i actually drive an older bmw wagon which uses a westfalia brand euro-style hitch like the model X and this adapter is how to use US receivers, since the euro style is a goose neck looking thing that uses a 50mm ball, when the american standard is 50.8mm

well, i sort of answered my own question by calling a tesla service center just now:
According to the nice lady on the phone: the part is listed at $112, but that might be inaccurate since if sold to some random dude instead of a shop it might be more costly.
more importantly they are in stock.....but pretty rarely. there's one service center about an hour from me which has three in stock but two already allocated meaning one just in hand. tried calling that center but they're out for lunch i guess since it went to voice mail. the next closest one in stock is in new york and the NEXT closest is in Pennsylvania

Well i hate to do these back-to-back posts but i see no way to edit posts so...

called the service center in dedham MA and they said they don't have any spares, and did confirm the $112 price which is great but more importantly, they cannot sell one of these without an associated model X vin number
*does that just mean i can give them any old VIN and they're fine with it?
*or do i give them a vin and there's some big process to tie the purchase to that car in some way?
*has anyone tried getting individual parts out of tesla and can indicate how much of a hassle it is?