Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CONFIRMED Order Necessary to Qualify for “Free” Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Option to Confirm Early Has Been Removed

I ordered my MX90D today. My order will automatically confirm in a week, on 12/26/16. I expected to be able to confirm immediately, but Tesla has apparently removed the option to confirm earlier than a week after ordering. (I was told that this is because the production line is full. All VINs assigned now are 2017.) I was told to expect delivery in February or probably March.

There is no place on the Tesla site to confirm early. Upon ordering, the Tesla site now reads: “Your Tesla has been ordered. You have until December 26th to edit your design or cancel for a full refund. After that date, your deposit will become non-refundable and your order will be scheduled for production.”

Removal of the option to confirm early is important to those who are waiting until late December and want to qualify for the “free” supercharging by ordering before December 31, 2016. I was told that merely ordering your Tesla is not sufficient to qualify. Your order must be confirmed before December 31, 2016.

Same here. My contact told me this was "because in Europe consumers always have 14 days to retract from a car purchase, so the button was in effect illegal". So that's debunked then!
My contact also told me the order date counts for free supercharging, not the confirmation date.

The button has been gone in Europe longer than in the U.S. I think (it was gone already in the summer for the Model X and remains so). Being gone in the U.S. is a newer thing?

As for confirmed order being necessary, I don't see Tesla's public wording supporting that - nor common sense. I thought it would make sense for them to want to collect as many orders as possible by the end of the year... cutting that off at an arbitrary date due to confirmation delay would make little sense.

Then again, Tesla has been known to do silly things at times, so I'd confirm in writing...

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire
The button has been gone in Europe longer than in the U.S. I think (it was gone already in the summer for the Model X and remains so). Being gone in the U.S. is a newer thing?

The confirmation button was definitely available here in Austria at the end of November when I ordered my Model S. I'm not sure how much it actually does, considering we have the same 14-day cooling off period, but I did get my VIN a couple of days later, well within the 14-day period.

They tended to allow self-confirmation "early" during mid-quarter so people can jump start the process and get cars done by end of quarter. I would expect self-confirm to come back in February or so for the Q1 push.

I posted this heads up because of the ambiguity of Tesla’s language and the uncertainty regarding information from Tesla staff. Tesla has consistently used the term “ordered.” “It depends on what the meaning of ‘ordered’ is.” Until an order is confirmed, it is not binding, not a contract, and may not be an “order.” The order can be cancelled for a full refund. Neither party is bound or obligated. But, it would be misleading if Tesla were to say that you have to order, but mean that you have to have confirmed your order by December 31, 2016 without making that requirement explicitly clear (especially in light of Tesla, without notice, having removed the option to self-confirm immediately).

I raised the April 1 delivery deadline with Tesla staff. I was assured that I would have no problem qualifying if delivery was after April 1 and the delay was caused by Tesla. However, at the time I “ordered,” I was told that I could expect a March or possibly even a February delivery. (The order has not yet confirmed itself, but I have no ability to confirm early.)

I posted this heads up because of the ambiguity of Tesla’s language and the uncertainty regarding information from Tesla staff. Tesla has consistently used the term “ordered.” “It depends on what the meaning of ‘ordered’ is.” Until an order is confirmed, it is not binding, not a contract, and may not be an “order.” The order can be cancelled for a full refund. Neither party is bound or obligated. But, it would be misleading if Tesla were to say that you have to order, but mean that you have to have confirmed your order by December 31, 2016 without making that requirement explicitly clear (especially in light of Tesla, without notice, having removed the option to self-confirm immediately).

I raised the April 1 delivery deadline with Tesla staff. I was assured that I would have no problem qualifying if delivery was after April 1 and the delay was caused by Tesla. However, at the time I “ordered,” I was told that I could expect a March or possibly even a February delivery. (The order has not yet confirmed itself, but I have no ability to confirm early.)
That's the point exactly. As long as your MyTesla says March (I would print that page, by the way), then a delay it Tesla's issue, since they would have initially promised by March. But at some point this month, they may tell you that your order will be delivered after March 31, then you're out of luck. (I think)

I am not able to confirm my order or hasten the confirmation date. I suppose there can be no delivery date on MyTesla due to lack of a confirmed order. I received only a verbal estimated delivery. I suppose that delivery will be early enough to avoid any problem with the April deadline. If not, I will have to rely on Tesla’s good faith to grandfather me in.

Tesla has had my reservation for more than three years. I expected the MX 5-seater in 2014. Hurry up and wait. Typical Tesla — creating unnecessary uncertainty and draining the joy out of Tesla supporters.

Reactions: Mjølner
I am not able to confirm my order or hasten the confirmation date. I suppose there can be no delivery date on MyTesla due to lack of a confirmed order. I received only a verbal estimated delivery. I suppose that delivery will be early enough to avoid any problem with the April deadline. If not, I will have to rely on Tesla’s good faith to grandfather me in.

Tesla has had my reservation for more than three years. I expected the MX 5-seater in 2014. Hurry up and wait. Typical Tesla — creating unnecessary uncertainty and draining the joy out of Tesla supporters.
I don't understand. If made your reservation more than 3 years ago, how come it hasn't been confirmed yet?

A reservation entailed a $5000 deposit only. I was first invited to configure the MX on December 7, 2015. Production of the 5-seater did not begin until November 2016. I "ordered" the MX in December 2016, with no ability to self-confirm.

True, hell won't freeze over. I do not even expect a problem. Even losing the "free" supercharging would not be a big deal to me financially. But, morally, it has been part of the Tesla offer that I accepted when I gave them my deposit more than three years ago. This is like when the initial Model Xs did not have the folding seats that Tesla had led me to expect. Eventually, Tesla produced a 5-seater with folding seats. And so it goes.

Thanks for the info. Can we get a second source to confirm the "Confirm" button is no longer available?
2nd question: Can orders placed at a Tesla Storefront be confirmed there, faster than the 7 day auto-confirm?
When they order for you at the store, they go on the same website as you do at home. Gonna go with 'no' on the 2nd question.