Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused charging Tesla from home - anyone able to help ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone help / explain why I have 2 charging figures on my app when charging at home ie 8kw + 10kw ?

Attachments

• E400549D-D1F1-4736-B894-79627A14D68A.png
    E400549D-D1F1-4736-B894-79627A14D68A.png
    312.3 KB · Views: 559
is 8kw about right or should I be seeing more, I have a Tesla gen 3 which I thought was rated at 11kw ?
7kw (32amp) is about right for single phase, the gen 3 needs 3 phase to output 11kw
The exact figure is dependant on voltage being supplied which in the UK can vary between min and max defined limits

This is a fairly decent guide that talks you through the terminology, the different charge points, while tesla sometimes use miles and not kWh and what means etc which might be worth a read. While the manual is ok, it still assumes you know the basics

is 8kw about right or should I be seeing more, I have a Tesla gen 3 which I thought was rated at 11kw ?
Perhaps some uncharitable comments about reading the manual, the wall connector manual isn't very clear. Some general reading/watch around EV topics would have show the answer.

The Tesla Wall Connector can supply upto the limit that your car will accept, 11KW on AC power. Faster chargers than this will all be DC.

In order to supply 11KW your house would need to be supplying 3 phase power, 3 x 16Amp, this isn't very common in UK houses. Most properties have single phase power, so Tesla uses two modules 2 x 16A to give 32A of charging.

So to get to KW, we multiple A by Volts, a typical UK figure is 230V, that gives 32 x 230 = 7.36KW. Most people will refer to a 32A charger as being 7KW. It's likely that you've got a higher voltage than the average (there is a wide range), which is why it's just showing a rounded up figure of 8KW, the reality is you are generally getting somewhere between 7.3 and 7.6KW

So you are getting exactly what you should expect for a regular UK house, sometimes it will say 7, sometimes 8, the real figure is roughly halfway between.

My comment was not specifically about charging but guidance for a new user. A lot of the questions we get on here can easily be found in the manual. If the OP has a lot to learn then its a great place to start.
Totally agree, we tend to use far more of the features of a Tesla than other cars and the manual is very clearly written. It helps that all the cars are more or less the same, my previous BMW manual was impossible as every paragraph depended on which options you had selected, engine size, trim level etc.

Reactions: init6
Totally agree, we tend to use far more of the features of a Tesla than other cars and the manual is very clearly written. It helps that all the cars are more or less the same, my previous BMW manual was impossible as every paragraph depended on which options you had selected, engine size, trim level etc.
That's a good point. I'd forgotten about that minefield with BMW - and the supplementary books dependent on your choice of infotainment.

Due to collect my M3 RWD tomorrow which of course will have LFP battery. Just got an SMS from Tesla telling me to charge regularly to 100% and to charge to 100% as soon as possible after taking delivery - to maximise performance of the battery. Tesla clearly making sure that new owners understand the different charging strategies for different versions of M3.

Due to collect my M3 RWD tomorrow which of course will have LFP battery. Just got an SMS from Tesla telling me to charge regularly to 100% and to charge to 100% as soon as possible after taking delivery - to maximise performance of the battery. Tesla clearly making sure that new owners understand the different charging strategies for different versions of M3.
Thats actually because there seems to be a fault at the moment. If you don't charge an LFP to 100% regularily then there is a risk the new Lithium-Ion Low Voltage battery will go flat quickly, something to do with main battery caliubration, especailly when the main battery drops below 20%. They'll probably make it more tolerant to the problem with a software update at some point but the big push at the moment is to stop people accidently bricking their new cars.

Don't worry about it though, just stick it on a 100% charge as soon as you can and until then try to avoid dropping below 20%.

Thats actually because there seems to be a fault at the moment. If you don't charge an LFP to 100% regularily then there is a risk the new Lithium-Ion Low Voltage battery will go flat quickly, something to do with main battery caliubration, especailly when the main battery drops below 20%. They'll probably make it more tolerant to the problem with a software update at some point but the big push at the moment is to stop people accidently bricking their new cars.

Don't worry about it though, just stick it on a 100% charge as soon as you can and until then try to avoid dropping below 20%.
My understanding is this is applicable only to the Model 3 with the new low voltage batteries and the li-ion battery on vehicles equipped with LFP batteries can die in less than 20 minutes after the vehicle’s main battery reaches a state of charge of less than 10%. When this happens, the car cannot be started or even charged.