Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected Solutions Real-World Experiences (MA - National Grid / EverSource)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone

I was hoping that folks in Massachusetts could share their real-world experiences with Connected Solutions so far this year.

Asking because my mom lives in SE MA and has EverSource - her experience so far this year has been a bit disappointing. She's had overwhelming 3-hr events (18/20) with EverSource calling events almost every weekday for the last 3 weeks even when it was cool weather and/or cloudy out. This has resulted in only a 6.6 average kW discharge for the season which is a good deal lower than the relatively conservative estimates I'd made. Perhaps my estimates were too optimistic but also perhaps it has something to do with my estimates being based on National Grid events, as opposed to EverSource. Of course, they were also based on last summer so there's that possibility too.

So... could anyone share how their events are so far this year? I live in Bellingham and have National Grid - anyone out this way? I ask predominantly because I was counting on CS as a major offset to the cost of the PWs and this is weakening that offset.

Many thanks in advance!

I think i'm using too much energy during events. My wife is cooking on the electric stove during this time or doing laundry . Maybe that is why my total output to the grid is lower and my payout is so low compared to others with 3 powerwalls in ma.
Yeah I shouldn’t have said grid in that sentence. Power to your house during an event counts towards you average event export since if it wasn’t coming from your battery you would be using it from the grid anyways… its all about reducing the strain on the grid.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter if the power from the powerwalls goes to the grid or to your house, you get credit for the discharge. The main limiting things are if your powerwalls are not full at the start of the event, or if you don't participate due to stormwatch or if you opt out.
Thanks for clarifying my lack of clarity. I would add too that if your solar panels are producing more than your house is using during an event, that export is also added to your event average along with your Powerwall export.

Upvote 0
Thanks for clarifying my lack of clarity. I would add too that if your solar panels are producing more than your house is using during an event, that export is also added to your event average along with your Powerwall export.
I do not believe this is correct, at least for those of us with PW2s. Solar production during an event not increase your average ESS power contribution.

If you have PW+ or PW3 maybe they changed how they are calculate things (because they don’t have a way to differentiate where the energy comes from?)

Upvote 0
Has anyone here constantly used the charge from grid option after feeding the grid during an event. I’m wondering how the grid would know if we charge from grid before or after an event. Now that we have the option in the app to do so. This means you can have more powerwalls than enough solar to be able to recharge the batteries strictly from solar alone.

Upvote 0
How do you guys know the method of calculation?

I had the same impression as @Blueaudi18 and thought the production meter was how they determined this (since it was what the NG tech that installed it told me), but do you know for certain it is calculated based on info in the PW hardware, not the production meter values?

I liked it as an excuse to barbecue, but I too am trying to maximize my event contributions after my paperwork was delayed over a year and pushed me into the solar bucket that only earns like a penny per kilowatt.

Upvote 0
How do you guys know the method of calculation?

I had the same impression as @Blueaudi18 and thought the production meter was how they determined this (since it was what the NG tech that installed it told me), but do you know for certain it is calculated based on info in the PW hardware, not the production meter values?

I liked it as an excuse to barbecue, but I too am trying to maximize my event contributions after my paperwork was delayed over a year and pushed me into the solar bucket that only earns like a penny per kilowatt.
I can tell you for a fact that they only count the powerwalls output and not solar. I’ve been in the program 3 years and have calculated the outputs and the payments. I had the same questions we all have at the beginning. You can use up all the power your battery is exporting and it does not affect your contribution amount. The excess solar is not counted towards your contribution.

Reactions: adspguy
Upvote 0
Has anyone here constantly used the charge from grid option after feeding the grid during an event. I’m wondering how the grid would know if we charge from grid before or after an event. Now that we have the option in the app to do so. This means you can have more powerwalls than enough solar to be able to recharge the batteries strictly from solar alone.
i was thinking the same ever since we can recharge the pw from the grid.

Upvote 0
Anyone still waiting for payout ? I've emailed Connected Solutions @ Tesla (and actually did get a response that payments were "on the way") but it's been almost a month since they claimed that payments were being scheduled. National Grid territory.

Upvote 0
Apparently the app is the only notification available from Tesla now. I'd have assumed that email notifications would also be used, just like prior year. I went into the app yesterday to change my PW settings and a noticed a new message was posted to my inbox there on March 6th. Payment is available, just set up a direct deposit to get it. I trust Tesla has their app security locked up tight.

2 PW payout 1270 vs 1500ish prior year. I opted out of many of the small number of "events" last year though so it's higher than I expected.

Upvote 0
Anyone still waiting for payout ? I've emailed Connected Solutions @ Tesla (and actually did get a response that payments were "on the way") but it's been almost a month since they claimed that payments were being scheduled. National Grid territory.
I am still waiting for Connected Solutions in RI. They don’t respond to emails over the last month asking about my payment status. This program is so badly run

Upvote 0
I am still waiting for Connected Solutions in RI. They don’t respond to emails over the last month asking about my payment status. This program is so badly run
Tesla just doesn't respond to emails, period... it continues to stun me each and every day as to how they treat their customers... if I ignored emails for weeks/months on end like they do, I would not have a job... plain and simple...

Upvote 0
Tesla just doesn't respond to emails, period... it continues to stun me each and every day as to how they treat their customers... if I ignored emails for weeks/months on end like they do, I would not have a job... plain and simple...
If I would not respond to an email for 24 hours, I would be put on performance plan immediately, and I don't have a customer-facing job. I can't believe they still get away with this. Anyway, still awaiting my payout, national grid massachusetts customer, 3 PW, so it's a fairly big payout and I am beyond irritated at this point. I sent an email end of February but no response. Per usual. If I don't have the payment by end of March, I will be contacting the State AG. That seemed fairly effective last time when they refused to file the paperwork so I could turn on my system. Great products/technology, the WORST customer service.

Reactions: jsurpless
Upvote 0
If I would not respond to an email for 24 hours, I would be put on performance plan immediately, and I don't have a customer-facing job. I can't believe they still get away with this. Anyway, still awaiting my payout, national grid massachusetts customer, 3 PW, so it's a fairly big payout and I am beyond irritated at this point. I sent an email end of February but no response. Per usual. If I don't have the payment by end of March, I will be contacting the State AG. That seemed fairly effective last time when they refused to file the paperwork so I could turn on my system. Great products/technology, the WORST customer service.
After 6 months of waiting for my 2023 payout, Tesla has the nerve to email me tonight, telling me my payout is ready, but somehow they couldn't upload it to THEIR OWN APP, so they have to send a check in the mail. Are you frigging kidding me right now! What an absolute bunch of Muppets! My 16 year old son, who is wise beyond his years, commented I should get my check within 3 to 500 business days.

Reactions: jsurpless
Upvote 0
After 6 months of waiting for my 2023 payout, Tesla has the nerve to email me tonight, telling me my payout is ready, but somehow they couldn't upload it to THEIR OWN APP, so they have to send a check in the mail. Are you frigging kidding me right now! What an absolute bunch of Muppets! My 16 year old son, who is wise beyond his years, commented I should get my check within 3 to 500 business days.
6 month? for 2023, i don' think people get their payouts until at lease jan 2024. But they are really slow this year for sure.

Upvote 0