Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consider the differences in 7.1 and 7.0 when deciding whether to update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll come delete my posts within a day if I turn out to be wrong (such as 99% of the people reporting improvements and/or no problems).

BWA (whatever your real name is, which you apparently do not want to mention): why do you not either (a) seriously test the car with 7.1; (b) buy or lease one, in order to even have an even more serious experience of it; or (c) simply stop commenting on a subject you are not really knowledgeable about?

After reading this thread and having just updated we went for a 45 minute drive. Unfortunately I can confirm that there is now what appears to be a timed based "nag". On our drive, which combined time on my usual interstate commute route, I was "nagged" at least every 3-4 minutes to "hold wheel". This is unfortunate but I suppose there was no way to avoid the update indefinitely. I hope the nagging is returned to the previous level (which in our case was very rare) in a future update.

This thread is sad and speaks volumes about where this forum has gone lately and it's not to a good place.

According to the reasoning, I guess I also shouldn't be commenting here because, while I own a car, it's not one with autopilot. However, if I did own one with autopilot, I'd appreciate the warning from the OP, even if it turned out to be wrong. Where's the harm if that happens? I took the 7 update to my classic S and I envy those who did not because it's so much worse than 6. And even if the OP was wrong (and that still seems up for debate, especially considering davidc18's post above, who I guess is authorized to post on this topic) the OP made his comment in good faith and with good intentions. He didn't deserve the "you can't comment because you don't own it" and the piling on that followed, at least in my opinion.

This thread is sad and speaks volumes about where this forum has gone lately and it's not to a good place.

According to the reasoning, I guess I also shouldn't be commenting here because, while I own a car, it's not one with autopilot. However, if I did own one with autopilot, I'd appreciate the warning from the OP, even if it turned out to be wrong. Where's the harm if that happens? I took the 7 update to my classic S and I envy those who did not because it's so much worse than 6. And even if the OP was wrong (and that still seems up for debate, especially considering davidc18's post above, who I guess is authorized to post on this topic) the OP made his comment in good faith and with good intentions. He didn't deserve the "you can't comment because you don't own it" and the piling on that followed, at least in my opinion.

I think the attitude about it was due to the alarmist tone of the OP. If he stated anywhere "it appears"/"there's a chance"/"please beware that it might be possible"/etc. I expect this thread to have taken a different tone, but the OP came in here with certainty that Tesla FUBAR'ed AP in v7.1, and that's not clear yet.

So you think it's okay for someone to start a FUD thread when they don't even own the car to begin with? Why would you support that? It'd be like me going over the BMW forums and starting a FUD thread about something I read in another post but have no way of knowing because I don't own the car to know. Hell, I don't even know what 7.1 does or doesn't do as I haven't gotten the update yet. I certainly wouldn't presume to know and then use that knowledge to go start a thread like this. This thread is sad only because it exists, it should have never been created in the first place, or at least should have been created by someone with actual first hand knowledge.

You can't comment on your perception of good faith, how could you possibly know that from your perspective?

Call me what you will but I think actually owning something should be a prerequisite to speaking about it's actual functionality and use. This applies to all things, not just a Tesla Model S...

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

After reading this thread and having just updated we went for a 45 minute drive. Unfortunately I can confirm that there is now what appears to be a timed based "nag". On our drive, which combined time on my usual interstate commute route, I was "nagged" at least every 3-4 minutes to "hold wheel". This is unfortunate but I suppose there was no way to avoid the update indefinitely. I hope the nagging is returned to the previous level (which in our case was very rare) in a future update.

I'll have to see what the experience is when I get 7.1 but I'm almost always holding the wheel in some form or another when AP is engaged so I'll be curious to see how the "nag" works.

Jeff

Just reporting back, and may be coincidence, but I haven't gotten the update 7.1 on my P85D yet, and today on my daily commute (have driven daily with autopilot since September) got my first nag ever on a stretch of highway 280. It's all together possible that if Tesla wants to be more pro-active around nagging, it may space across all versions. Just saying...

Just reporting back, and may be coincidence, but I haven't gotten the update 7.1 on my P85D yet, and today on my daily commute (have driven daily with autopilot since September) got my first nag ever on a stretch of highway 280. It's all together possible that if Tesla wants to be more pro-active around nagging, it may space across all versions. Just saying...

I've gotten occasional nags but have not been able to time frequency of them; maybe timed but I haven't discerned a defined timing, maybe responding to momentary loss of lane lines or some such.

So you think it's okay for someone to start a FUD thread when they don't even own the car to begin with? Why would you support that? It'd be like me going over the BMW forums and starting a FUD thread about something I read in another post but have no way of knowing because I don't own the car to know. Hell, I don't even know what 7.1 does or doesn't do as I haven't gotten the update yet. I certainly wouldn't presume to know and then use that knowledge to go start a thread like this. This thread is sad only because it exists, it should have never been created in the first place, or at least should have been created by someone with actual first hand knowledge.

Call me what you will but I think actually owning something should be a prerequisite to speaking about it's actual functionality and use. This applies to all things, not just a Tesla Model S...

Calm down. No one started a FUD thread. Here's what FUD means:

FUD fəd/noun Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, usually evoked intentionally in order to put a competitor at a disadvantage.
"the FUD factor"

fud definition - Google Search

Do you really think this is what the OP was doing? If so, we will have to agree to disagree. The way he was treated when just trying to help is, once again, simply sad. Sure, he could have been less categorical, but why not respond with help and encouragement (like people did here in the past) rather than jump on him then pile on.

And I see nothing wrong with posting in the BMW forum without owning a BMW.

You can't comment on your perception of good faith, how could you possibly know that from your perspective?

Really? You can say his intention was FUD but I can't comment on his intention? In any event, I'll stay out of the autopilot forums. No biggy. It was once fun to post in any thread here but unfortunately those days are clearly the past.

I updated to 7.1 over the weekend on my late 2014 S85. I am getting about the same amount of "nag" as I used to nothing really too bad. The accuracy however of AutoSteer is much better than before. Nothing scientific here, but seems the "nag" is proportional to the road conditions and the ambient light. At dusk, I got a little more. On GA400 (relatively straight and flat highway in Atlanta) it was less. Especially the tracking around curves. The parking into a perpendicular space works well (use it when I park at the gym) but the spaces have to be perpendicular, it doesn't seem to recognize the parking spaces slightly askew in the supermarket lot (spaced aligned to a one way row). Have not been able to make summon work as my driveway is on a gradient - frankly didn't have the time to futz with it - but the ability for the car to open my garage as I approach the driveway and as I exit the driveway is nice. Will try navigation in a week or so as I head out on a road trip - hoping to see the nav take me via more direct routes than the indirect routes in the past.

Just an update to add some info. If anyone is interested in the route I drove: I75 from the northwest corner of Weston, until it turns into I595 heading towards Ft. Lauderdale. I reversed direction at Flamingo Rd and drove the same route back to Weston. Prior to the update I would never get any "hold wheel" nags. The route is straight and flat. It was a clear, sunny S. FL standard day. The car is going to the SC tomorrow and I am sure they would have installed the update there, so even if I had known about the "nagging" I don't think I could have avoided upgrading. Hope this helps anyone on the fence about updating early.

Don't update to 7.1 without knowing what you lose. Nag every 5 minutes, jiggle wheel, no autosteer or TACC in many situations.

See Firmware 7.1

I don't have a problem with non-owners posting here - the more the merrier I say. While BWA may truly have only intended to make people aware of some of the possible additional restrictions in 7.1, he certainly didn't go about it the right way IMO. My gut reaction when I read the above was that I would most definitely be losing functionality with 7.1 over 7.0. It'd be one thing if he said that some people were experiencing more restrictions, but he said "Nag every 5 minutes, jiggle wheel, no autosteer or TACC in many situations." He made it sound like it was a sure thing that everyone was reporting, or that it may as well have been written into the release notes with 7.1. The thread title reads like a perfect click-baity buzzfeed title.

All we have right now are a few anecdotal reports of increased nag frequency with 7.1, and those are immediately followed by more anecdotes of people reporting the exact opposite. It's way too premature to have a thread like this - hopefully it gets banished to the wasteland and no one even has to read my post.

Hi David,

Thanks for your input.

From your personal experiences do you agree with the original poster's thread title that seems to state with certainty that upgrading will lead to a loss of autosteer and TACC features?

Larry

I feel like a broken record, but in order for there to be a "time based nag" we'd have to be able to define a specific time interval where the nag appears. As of yet, we have not been able to confirm any such thing. Your experience might suggest a more frequent nag than before, but does not yet support the notion of a time based nag.

Yes,

As you know the roads around this area are perfect for autopilot to function to a very high degree. Version 7.0 would "nag" very, very infrequently and in exactly the same places. With 7.1 on these very same roads, there is now a "nag" every 3-4 minutes. Changing lanes with autopilot did seem to reset the nag clock. TACC is degraded by the camera picking a speed limit sign that does not apply to the road you are one, as happens where 84 parallels 75. In my particular neighborhood, there is a 15 MPH sign in front of a school outside the entry gate. There are no other speed limit signs until you are well into the development and now TACC is limited to that first 15 MPH sign the car locked on to. It was a short drive (45 minutes) to see if the nagging was increased and it was. From almost never to every 3-5 minutes is quite a change.

Hi David,

Thanks for your input.

From your personal experiences do you agree with the original poster's thread title that seems to state with certainty that upgrading will lead to a loss of autosteer and TACC features?

Larry

Since most of the nag complaints are from Florida; I wonder if different states are now requiring different nag standards? Just a thought (since I'm in Los Angeles & we don't have 7.1 yet).

I think there is a nag. Just spend 30 minutes testing this.

Interstate road, 12-lanes divided (6 each direction), every 3 minutes for 12 minutes (i.e. 4 times) then I got off. Exactly at the 3minute mark.
Local road, 6 lanes (3 each direction, grass divider, though the car thought it was an undivided highway and restricted AP), every 1minute for 4 minutes (i.e. 4 times).
Then I held the wheel for about 5minutes, and still on the local road it let me drive for 2 minutes, then nagged, and then back down to 1 minute. I think it might be giving me leeway if it sees me holding the wheel.

Up until this evening I was in the "nah, there's no nag" category, but I think there is, as it's repetitive (in whole minute intervals), and I also think the nag is different on different types of roads.