Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consider the differences in 7.1 and 7.0 when deciding whether to update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only difference I've seen is the limitation of 5 mph over posted speed on secondary roads. In general it seems to work a bit better on secondary roads in that it can operate on sections it couldn't before.
Can you provide an actual example of such a road?

And for lots of us the +5mph is a deal-breaker. For example, autopilot consistently fails to recognize a 55mph sign on one road that I frequently travel. With 7.1 I'd be forced to either disengage the AP or drive at 40mph.

The supposed nag is non-existent in my car and I've driven over 2 hours using AP.
Is it 7.1? I've heard from my friend that nag is definitely worse - he used to be able to drive from Tacoma to Seattle with barely a nag and now it's a constant nagging.

It's possible that it's just a side-effect of some new algorithm and not an intended change, but people should be aware of it.

I have no idea what you mean by "jiggle wheel", it's always been the case that if the warning to hold the wheel came on, if you apply pressure to the wheel it goes away.
Do you even own a Tesla?
I do, and I'm not upgrading until Tesla pulls its head out of its ass and removes artificial limitations.

The OP cross-posts in 3 threads warning people not to upgrade to 7.1 and he doesn't even own a Tesla? Now I know why there is an "ignore" function. Bwa just earned ignore from me and I'd encourage other owners who don't have the time for FUD posts by a wannabe to do the same.

And for lots of us the +5mph is a deal-breaker. For example, autopilot consistently fails to recognize a 55mph sign on one road that I frequently travel. With 7.1 I'd be forced to either disengage the AP or drive at 40mph.

Is it 7.1? I've heard from my friend that nag is definitely worse - he used to be able to drive from Tacoma to Seattle with barely a nag and now it's a constant nagging.

It's possible that it's just a side-effect of some new algorithm and not an intended change, but people should be aware of it.

I do, and I'm not upgrading until Tesla pulls its head out of its ass and removes artificial limitations.

You can override the limit by pushing down the accelerator while autosteer is engaged

The OP cross-posts in 3 threads warning people not to upgrade to 7.1 and he doesn't even own a Tesla? Now I know why there is an "ignore" function. Bwa just earned ignore from me and I'd encourage other owners who don't have the time for FUD posts by a wannabe to do the same.

wan·na·be ˈwänəbē,ˈwônəbē/noun informal derogatory
a person who tries to be like someone else or to fit in with a particular group of people. "a star-struck wannabe"
wannabe definition - Google Search

Is there really any reason for the derogatory and ad hominen name calling? Can you not make your point without personal attacks on other members of this forum who have every right to be here, and to post here, and to be treated in a civil manner, as you do?

The OP has posted nearly 300 times here before he posted this information, and it is information that has been corroborated by people who own the vehicle. Others who own the vehicle appreciate his warning.

High Road in W. Newbury, MA
If you actually keep your hand on the wheel, which is according to the design of AP, you won't see the nag. I only saw a timed nag when driving and not touching the wheel. It's like not being allowed to use AP when not in the driver's seat.

High Road in W. Newbury, MA
If you actually keep your hand on the wheel, which is according to the design of AP, you won't see the nag. I only saw a timed nag when driving and not touching the wheel. It's like not being allowed to use AP when not in the driver's seat.
I drive touching the wheel all the time, yet I see nags constantly (but predictably, so it's OK).

I tried 7.1 version from my friend (I'm on 7.0) and I get nags constantly around every 3 minutes. I guess my touch is too light for AP to detect the torque (after all, why would I apply a torque if AP does everything correctly?). I'm going to try taping a small weight to the wheel and see if it helps.

Still not going to upgrade until the speed limit bullcrap is fixed, though.

By the way, 7.1 is definitely better at lane keeping even in very sharp turns. It can also change lanes in turns almost perfectly.

Last edited:
Calm down. No one started a FUD thread...

I don't see anyway to objectively read the following section and not come to the conclusion that the OP was doing this simply to get a rise out of people. (Bold added by me).

No one is saying you have to drive a Tesla to post here.
However, complaining about firmware, especially in such an emotional way, seems unreasonable if you are not impacted by the change and haven't experienced it.

Yes, and Tesla does a lot of absolutely wonderful new things with updates, so some people would probably be very excited to get a new Summon! feature only to find out that their car now puts them to sleep and causes crashes on commutes particular to their situation,...

I now understand why Tesla gave us the second hand in 7.1-- to time the minutes between "nags"... Seriously, though I have had my 85D for 6 months and have followed TMC for at least as long, this is my first post. Had I known the trade off for demonstrably better AP would have been the annoying reminder every three minutes to grab the wheel (thank you second hand), I would have held off updating to 7.1 (2.9.154). I have only had the 7.1 build for one day (Maryland-based), hopefully, the nagging will diminish over time. That said, I would have preferred TM would have been more forthcoming with a more complete characterization of the ensuing restrictions; I understand the need to limit AP as previously warned, however, I find the entire argument related to the requirement for the frequent touching, holding, or jiggling of the steering wheel to be disingenuous. You would think individuals paying north of $100k for their car could be considered responsible enough not to "nagged" repeatedly... Why release a capability this futuristic (even in Beta mode) only to allow it to become antiquated by owner opinion. How many MS owners will elect to NOT upgrade? Perhaps TM should equip the next build with an "undo" button next to the sweep second hand of the clock.... Oh, by the way, BE VERY CAREFUL with the Summon function in a narrow garage. I was demonstrating this cool feature to my wife and had I not had my thumb on the roof of the fob, the right fender would have clipped the garage. Maybe a sensor was dirty. For this reason, I don't know if I am going to rely on auto-park while still in the Beta mode... Just saying!