Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s the final bill. Repaired today. Now LTE.
Yikes- that is a big bill. I got eMMC chip replaced far less. While the MCU was out of the car, I upgraded the 3-G to LTE for about $115 in parr’s from Tesla. Total bill was less than $600. I’ve heard prices have gone up a bit, but still would be less than half the cost of Tesla’s repair. And the chip is now 32 gig, so no need to ever worry about failure in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jut putting it out here one more time. If anyone doesn't feel comfortable taking out the MCU themselves, I still work with Tony on eMMc repairs. I can come to your house, taken the MCU out, bring the chip to Toni and once it's replaced, I come back and put your car together.

Man that would be awesome, However I live in Orlando FL . My two saving graces are I work in the IT field, and have a fair amount of experience doing auto work. the most stressful thing will be the packaging and shipping the MCU. Needless to say one day shipping will be the only option . That would be a 2K mistake if anything happened in transit.

Man that would be awesome, However I live in Orlando FL . My two saving graces are I work in the IT field, and have a fair amount of experience doing auto work. the most stressful thing will be the packaging and shipping the MCU. Needless to say one day shipping will be the only option . That would be a 2K mistake if anything happened in transit.

Dont ship the whole MCU. Just the board. The whole MCU is too expensive to ship and easy to break the screen. Ship just the Tegra board the chip is on.

Reactions: David99
The MCU on my 2015 Model S just died yesterday. No touchscreen, odometer blank, etc. The car was sitting in my garage for about 2 weeks unused (charging off and on). 105K+ total miles. Tesla Service quoted me $1492 for the "touchscreen to be replaced."

Looked over most of this long thread and reached out to a few of you all here. Not really sure what to do next. I don't want to lose any vehicle functionality first and foremost (base 85 with AM/FM/XM radio, LTE upgrade, etc). I also plan to keep this vehicle for as long as I can so don't want to have the same issue in a few years again (MCU1 vs MCU2).

I've replaced faulty door handles, broken HPWC, and other things myself but this disassembly definitely seems more involved.

On once hand that is probably the lowest quote for the MCU repair from the dealer I have seen, and if they are now using a 16 GB as the post above states you should be good for 10 years? And you have warranty.

On the other hand if you can do a door handle you can definitely remove the MCU, it is not hard, ship off the Tegra board and have it done for less than half that amount. Not sure about full functionality, but there are reports in EU that Tesla is reenabling all functions for third party eMMC repairs.

While I've been doing some hunting for Replacement services for my eMMC I chose to have Tony from the forms here do the work. I also contacted Chris from electric garage, and 057 technologies for the replacement. Chris came back with a much higher replacement cost, yet a really fast turn around. 057 is only doing local repairs at the moment. So off to California The Tegra Board goes.

Tear down wasn't to bad. spent a lot of time cleaning after each section was removed. Hardest part was my car being a 2013, did not have an easy to reach battery terminal. hopefully by late next week i will be able to reassemble everything.Found out My MCU was a replacement from 2018 and it was already starting to develop long loading times and unresponsive starts needing full mcu restarts when the car went to sleep.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
Found out My MCU was a replacement from 2018 and it was already starting to develop long loading times and unresponsive starts needing full mcu restarts when the car went to sleep.

Really? You are repairing a Tesla refurbished MCU from 2018? Maybe @EV-Fixme can tell us whether that is a new eMMC they installed in 2018 or if it is just a refurbished unit with the original eMMC, maybe a yellow screen refurbish only.

Really? You are repairing a Tesla refurbished MCU from 2018? Maybe @EV-Fixme can tell us whether that is a new eMMC they installed in 2018 or if it is just a refurbished unit with the original eMMC, maybe a yellow screen refurbish only.

Manufacture date on the MCU was 6-6-2018. I've only owned the car for about 2 months now. I'm very much the kind of person who isn't going to wait till the unit dies before I replace it. I drive down a pretty busy highway when i work. Model number for the unit is 1045006-00-D. Not sure if it was referb or new.

While I've been doing some hunting for Replacement services for my eMMC I chose to have Tony from the forms here do the work. I also contacted Chris from electric garage, and 057 technologies for the replacement. Chris came back with a much higher replacement cost, yet a really fast turn around. 057 is only doing local repairs at the moment. So off to California The Tegra Board goes.

Tear down wasn't to bad. spent a lot of time cleaning after each section was removed. Hardest part was my car being a 2013, did not have an easy to reach battery terminal. hopefully by late next week i will be able to reassemble everything.Found out My MCU was a replacement from 2018 and it was already starting to develop long loading times and unresponsive starts needing full mcu restarts when the car went to sleep.
You will be happy with Tony’s work. He does a great job, has a fair price and is very helpful. He did mine about 5 months ago, very pleased overall with how the project went. If you don’t have the LTE upgrade, now is the time to do it.

You will be happy with Tony’s work. He does a great job, has a fair price and is very helpful. He did mine about 5 months ago, very pleased overall with how the project went. If you don’t have the LTE upgrade, now is the time to do it.

Since my MCU Looks like it had been replaced before mine had the LTE on it already. I'll have to do the screen curing fix because of the yellowing around the boarder. I'm glad they use a better memory then Tesla. there are some things that I'm fixing with the car now that are just those small annoying things. This is the last major fix I need to have done.

Last edited:
Manufacture date on the MCU was 6-6-2018. I've only owned the car for about 2 months now. I'm very much the kind of person who isn't going to wait till the unit dies before I replace it. I drive down a pretty busy highway when i work. Model number for the unit is 1045006-00-D. Not sure if it was referb or new.

I remember seeing somewhere there is a 4 year warranty on the MCU if paid for out of warranty. Does that warranty follow the car or just the owner who paid for it? Maybe worth checking with Tesla.

I remember seeing somewhere there is a 4 year warranty on the MCU if paid for out of warranty. Does that warranty follow the car or just the owner who paid for it? Maybe worth checking with Tesla.
4 year warranty if replaced with a new part. Less for the refurb. If I remember correctly. I spend a day reading through everything but brain is now stuck at home.

I don’t think there is any guarantee that a refurb comes with a new eMMC. Certainly hope so, but...