Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mine is about to go... would like to talk to someone before shipping. is there an number I can call to talk to Tony?

got new wheels and switched to 19" from 21" and the MCU crashed on update, and now I can't even stream Spotify....unless I use my cell phone... also volume control is super laggy.... my almost to 100K miles, so this one is getting close to dying (I think)

Some cars have reported loss of turn signals usage once MCU has failed also...

I can confirm my 2015 UK registered S 60 MCU failure has caused the following safety-related facilities:-
1/ No climate control (no de-fogging)
2/ No indicator functionality (except hazard lights)
3/ Outside air temperature is missing
4/ No manual adjustment of headlights, potentially leading to dazzling on-coming traffic.
5/ No front and rear fog lights
6/ No audio, so no mobile phone integration.

Does the NHTSA take complaints from foreign-registed (but US-made) vehicle owners?

Forgive me if this has been covered already (it's a long thread)...

I have read that pre-2018 Model S' can now get a MCUv1 upgraded to MCUv2. I appreciate that its another $US1k (than my Tesla UK quote for fixing my MCU failure) but it is certainly another possibility to getting the old one replaced with another MCUv1 (albeit with 4G/LTE upgrade). You end up with another eMMC chip that will fail in another few years, too, rather than the larger one in the v2 unit (which will probably see me out).

Have I got this wrong? If not why aren't Tesla UK offering this as an alternative?

I have read that pre-2018 Model S' can now get a MCUv1 upgraded to MCUv2. I appreciate that its another $US1k (than my Tesla UK quote for fixing my MCU failure) but it is certainly another possibility to getting the old one replaced with another MCUv1 (albeit with 4G/LTE upgrade). You end up with another eMMC chip that will fail in another few years, too, rather than the larger one in the v2 unit (which will probably see me out).

Have I got this wrong? If not why aren't Tesla UK offering this as an alternative?

You have it correct. It will take time for you outside America to have the option to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. Looks like you have AP1? I am not following the details that closely, but In America they are going through the AP2.5's, I believe they just started the AP2.0's, but we don't know if they will finish the majority of those before starting with AP1's in just America? or will they prioritize all the 2.0 and 2.5's in other country's before starting AP1's in America? Once they have done an AP1 will they just do all version requests at the same time without a hierarchy globally? Who knows.

It will be at least a year for us (Canada and the UK) with AP1 cars I would wager...if you haven't replaced your eMMC chip I wouldn't wait. And you can always just upgrade the 3G to LTE in the MCU1 anytime for hundred pounds or so...

Correct - no MCU1> 2 upgrades outside of the USA
The replacement MCU1 has a less bad emmc removing the worry for the warranty period.

The replacement MCU1 has a less bad emmc removing the worry for the warranty period.

I'm well out of warranty and my screen has already failed (several months ago and just pre the arrival of the global pox). Being stuck on an island without any realistic likelihood of getting the car off for another 2-3 weeks, I am seriously considering a DIY fix whilst I await MCUv2. I plan to keep the car for a few years, yet, and it makes no sense to me whatsoever to pay UK£1400 now for a replacement MCUv1 when in (hopefully a year or so) I can get v2 for a bit more.

I see the whole eMMC thing becoming a recall is hotting up. Perhaps it'll all become moot before long and I can have my cake and it it too (ie get a temp MCUv1 fitted for free and then upgrade to MCUv2 in due course) but not holding my breath) At least with a DIY fix I'll get my audio etc and full charge back (stuck with what it was when the MCU failed - 110 miles and a max 2A (yes, two amps) charge rate!).

Anyway, thanks for your input, guys.

I'm well out of warranty and my screen has already failed (several months ago and just pre the arrival of the global pox). Being stuck on an island without any realistic likelihood of getting the car off for another 2-3 weeks, I am seriously considering a DIY fix whilst I await MCUv2. I plan to keep the car for a few years, yet, and it makes no sense to me whatsoever to pay UK£1400 now for a replacement MCUv1 when in (hopefully a year or so) I can get v2 for a bit more.

I see the whole eMMC thing becoming a recall is hotting up. Perhaps it'll all become moot before long and I can have my cake and it it too (ie get a temp MCUv1 fitted for free and then upgrade to MCUv2 in due course) but not holding my breath) At least with a DIY fix I'll get my audio etc and full charge back (stuck with what it was when the MCU failed - 110 miles and a max 2A (yes, two amps) charge rate!).

I would suggest reaching out to @LuckyLuke to see if your emmc is recoverable. A few months is not good but you might get lucky. Also. Since you are going to Mcu2 even if your emmc can’t be fully recovered luke can setup you with a non connected MCU so you have all your in car function while to wait for Tesla to offer Mcu2 and restoring certs. Actually in eu I believe you can just go into the SC and request your certs restored even with a 3rd party repair.

$1,699.95. (But they also root it so that they can remotely connect to and diagnose your vehicle in the future.)
Free, or is there a diagnostic fee? Lastly, does the owner get the root access as well, including the ability to disable their access, or is this like a gang - once you're in, you're in for life? I'm curious how that works, especially when the owner sells the rooted car to which someone else but Tesla has full access.

Free, or is there a diagnostic fee? Lastly, does the owner get the root access as well, including the ability to disable their access, or is this like a gang - once you're in, you're in for life? I'm curious how that works, especially when the owner sells the rooted car to which someone else but Tesla has full access.

I didn't see those details on their site.

I see the whole eMMC thing becoming a recall is hotting up. Perhaps it'll all become moot before long and I can have my cake and it it too (ie get a temp MCUv1 fitted for free and then upgrade to MCUv2 in due course but not holding my breath). At least with a DIY fix I'll get my audio etc and full charge back (stuck with what it was when the MCU failed - 110 miles and a max 2A (yes, two amps) charge rate!).

Reactions: goRt

I see the whole eMMC thing becoming a recall is hotting up. Perhaps it'll all become moot before long and I can have my cake and it it too (ie get a temp MCUv1 fitted for free and then upgrade to MCUv2 in due course but not holding my breath). At least with a DIY fix I'll get my audio etc and full charge back (stuck with what it was when the MCU failed - 110 miles and a max 2A (yes, two amps) charge rate!).

Your range is stuck at 110 miles? That's interesting. Usually we see cars stuck with max 21% charge. The 2A charge rate? That is much lower then the 2kWh we usually see, SuperCharging speed is normal?

@rooter, I tried to log onto Unofficial Tesla Tech which is in your TMC signature and I cannot reach your webpage.
Apologies once again. As I'm on a dynamic IP, every time I turn over a rock it changes. (Why isn't Ziply caching DHCP?) I'm very busy so sometimes it takes me a while to fix at my registrar.

But my security is such that only a nation-state could take me down now. And Tesla won't do anything as I have none of their © or ™ material up. (or anyone else's)

Wish I could get contributed articles from others... or at least info. Nothing.

Scripts working beautifully, and I've noted those which are incomplete.

PS - TMC has a dark mode, which personally I like dark much better. No glare, and you can get to sleep after reading.

Last edited:
This morning I picked up my circuit board from Tony where he replaced the faulty chip. Although my screen had gon completely blank, Tony was able to recover my certificate off the old chip and install it into the replacement. When I plugged the MCU back in, it came up and the screen started working right away. Everything works perfectly, including connectivity to the Tesla phone app. Couldn't be happier! Thanks Tony @EV-Fixme rocks!!!!

So my screen is dead, it was on then I got out and it won't power back on. But it's intermittent failure so it may come back on again ‍♂️
Anyway what is the turnaround time? I'm in So-Cal (fort Irwin) and I need my car to be functional by 9 July. If I was to ship to you next day, on like Tuesday/Wednesday how quickly would you be able to get me back my card so I can reinstall?
Thanks

So my screen is dead, it was on then I got out and it won't power back on. But it's intermittent failure so it may come back on again ‍♂️
Anyway what is the turnaround time? I'm in So-Cal (fort Irwin) and I need my car to be functional by 9 July. If I was to ship to you next day, on like Tuesday/Wednesday how quickly would you be able to get me back my card so I can reinstall?
Thanks

Tony's turnaround is 5 days. I'm sure with you being in SoCal a personal drop off and pick up may make things a tad faster...

Reactions: EV-Fixme