Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fob is in the user's hands, and its private key -must- match the carkeys' public key.

As Tesla are now backing up carkeys it indicates to me that before, a service center would have to go through a faff of remarrying the fob to the car. Now the backup facilitates MCU replacement when the chip is bad. Thus they must not have the public/private pair of each car on their corporate servers, which would have made retrieval easy.

appleguru or ce2078, correct me if I'm wrong.

(aack, I wish they'd correct the embarrassing grammar issues in the OP. Sometimes I despair for the public school system)

Last edited:
The fob is in the user's hands, and its private key -must- match the carkeys' public key.

As Tesla are now backing up carkeys it indicates to me that before, a service center would have to go through a faff of remarrying the fob to the car. Now the backup facilitates MCU replacement when the chip is bad. Thus they must not have the public/private pair of each car on their corporate servers, which would have made retrieval easy.

Interesting. I was not considering the FOB and it's encryption. I have been assuming all the keys were related to communication to the mothership.

Thanks!

(aack, I wish they'd correct the embarrassing grammar issues in the OP. Sometimes I despair for the public school system)

I don't believe the cert has anything to do with the key fobs. I can check with a couple of my customers that successfully had Tesla generate a new cert for their Tegra repaired by us. Since the car's keyfobs work fine without cert or Tegra I don't think there is a relation. I could very well be totally wrong on this.

Maybe we are optimistically wrong,

'Bout time they did this. My backups script has backed up critical files to the IC and home server for almost a year.

Haven't quite finished the part of the article yet on backing up to home server.

Interesting... this is an indication that they do not have your carkeys on their corporate servers. They're not making it easier for us, but for their own mechanics.
@rooter, I tried to log onto https://unofficial-tesla-tech.com/ which is in your TMC signature and I cannot reach your webpage.

For those that have had MCU failures, this may be of interest. There's at least *some* possibility that the cars could be recalled for free (or reimbursed) replacements of the original eMMC chips. If you've replaced an MCU, you might be well-advised to add your complaints to the NHTSA database as they're only reporting 11 (!) complaints.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/24/us-opens-probe-into-tesla-model-s-after-touchscreen-failure-reports.html

Some cars have reported loss of turn signals usage once MCU has failed also. One also looses the ability to turn on head lights. This can be an issue if your driving in an area where headlights are required even in daytime as the automatic headlights will not come on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newscutter
I just saw this article today.

U.S. probes touchscreen failures in Tesla Model S cars

It echoes what was noted above, but does not indicate a recall. Maybe if more complaints come in Tesla will act on it.

Thanks for this thread. As these cars get older and out of warranty I think we'll see more of these problems, but hopefully the community will have more of these bright minds to help each other out.

Reactions: Chaserr and TonyT
It echoes what was noted above, but does not indicate a recall.

That is because it is currently just a "preliminary evaluation" investigation. If I understand correctly if they find an issue during this they will then open an "engineering analysis" investigation. At which point they would decide if there should be a recall or not.

But NHTSA moves very slowly, so it will be like 1-2 years for them to go through their process. (Assuming Tesla doesn't do a voluntary recall first.)

Some cars have reported loss of turn signals usage once MCU has failed also. One also looses the ability to turn on head lights. This can be an issue if your driving in an area where headlights are required even in daytime as the automatic headlights will not come on.
You forgot about no HVAC and defrosters, no way to defog/defrost windshield or windows.

Reactions: EV-Fixme